Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

2016 IMAZ Training Wk Aug 28 - Sept 4

GUESS WHAT IM AZ TEAM?

You are NOW officially in Ironman Training!

At 12 weeks out from Texas, Coach Rich and Coach Patrick have now crowned and officiated you into IM world. Most of you are coming off OutSeason, some maybe Bike Focus, Run Focus, ect.. some of you tested in the last couple weeks and now it is official. The great thing about Endurance Nation Ironman training is, you don't have to kiss your family friends and coworkers goodbye for the next 12 weeks. With effective training for the "everyday athlete" you should still have time for a life outside of compression socks and power meters!

Make sure to watch the videos, podcasts and blogs that are attached to each week of training on the website. They are located on the right side of the your training page. CHECK THEM OUT! Maybe listen to them as you stretch, roll or recover or as you fuel up for a workout.  

Thanks for checking in and introducing yourself!! So now lets hear it, make some noise.... Any questions for the team?

Like my picture reminder says.... MAKE SURE TO REST! As the 5th discipline in IRONMAN training, it often gets overlooked. Remember to rest. Your body (and your family) will thank you!

Peace, Love and Sweat!

- Your trusty Race Captain, Marketing Director and Personal Motivator -  Mariah

Don’t forget to post on your workouts and keep us in the loop! If you have a pic or video to post remember to use #EN4Keys! Let’s seem some SWEAT! HERE WE GO!!

#EN4Keys

Comments

• Options
    And so it begins again, not with a bang, but with a whimper.

“You don't become a runner by winning a morning workout. The only true way is to marshal the ferocity of your ambition over the course of many day, weeks, months, and (if you could finally come to accept it) years. The Trial of Miles; Miles of Trials.”
    ? John L. Parker Jr., Once a Runner

The only difference for us is the urgency, we don't have months or years, we have 12 weeks. And with that, the Week 9 Monday run is in the books and there are only 11 Monday's left until race week.

Make'em count!

https://www.strava.com/activities/693038290/overview
  • Options
    Will be in transition week #2 this week !

Time will fly for that one
  • Options
    Started the week off right by completing both my swim and run this morning.
  • Options
    Got a short run in this am. Will swim if not stuck at work too late (on call today for OR) but if not, I got 30' of form work/drills in backyard pool yesterday.

Can I ask WHAT has happened to the website? My formatting now is awful. I haven't been on site recently except to check my plan. My mobile view I was looking at is gone too
  • Options
    @Besty they are "upgrading" it. They are aware of the issues. Here is the thread http://bit.ly/2bQUZFn
  • Options
    Thanks Gary. I was too dazed to even wade through the site to find that forum (tho I figured it existed). Sounds like everybody catalogued my complaints.
  • Options
    Oh man, this is a strong group. Today I finalized a schedule that will effectively keep me out of the pool M-F. Gonna be a weekend warrior at the Y for this build it appears. With that in mind, I got my full dose of dread this am and I read two Facebook articles on swimming. That'll do.
  • Options
    Monday swim and Tuesday interval run are in the books. Tomorrow will be my first brick run since, well, I don't even know. It should be interesting! After that, my focus will be planning for the weekend, including Monday, since all the pools around here are closed for Labor Day.
  • Options
    Wednesday brick - done! and it actually felt pretty good. The weather here in Pittsburgh seems to have switched over to Fall already so my morning runs are much nicer than they have been. The bike intervals sucked. My legs are already tired :-)

I'm still not sure about the whole split run thing. It was nice getting an extra 45 min of sleep this AM, but now I have to run again this evening, which costs SAUs. I guess I'll see how it evolves over the next several weeks.

Hope everyone is getting the work done.
  • Options
    Wednesday was my son's birthday so training time was scarce. I got the bike in, but no time to run. This morning, I did the first 1/2 of the split run in the heat at 4AM. I'm still deciding whether I should suffer in the heat after work or run on the dreadmill. I'm not fond of either choice.

@Besty & @Michael there is an OWS this sunday at Bartlett Lake Rattlesnake Cove 6AM if you are interested. Its put on by Sole Swim Solutions. I don't think I'm going but figured I'd pass along the info.
  • Options
    I am still locked into the get faster plan, so I only owed a 75 min run this am.

I am a huge believer in the split long run, and I typically do the second run on the mill. My typical deal is a quality 60-90 run in the am (hills, sprints, neg split, etc), then just very basic, no frill Z1-TRP miles in the evening which are perfect for the mill. I am convinced this is better than a 2+ hour slog. Granted, I really focus on form that second run, cant completely space out, but that evening run is definitely of higher quality mechanics than the 2nd hour of a long run.

This will be an interesting build for me. I am tenetively planning Sat/Sun aqua-bikes. Run 5 days a week (M-F).
  • Options
    @ Gary-thanks for the heads up about the swim. I used to take lessons from Frank but have fallen off his list and have Not been down to DK for a while. I will probably bike

Working backwards:
    Got 40' run in this am-steady LS(stupid)P for HR control. Split run is good for me as I cannot get up any earlier-had to be on the road to work at 0600. I like running in the dark in the evening so for another LSP run it should be ok for me despite the heat

Wednesday:
    Got it done in the morning:
    53" on bike-1x10',1x12 both at 1.0 +1W. only 1x4'@1.2(-3W)-man was that hard! Then 15' BRIC run

Tues:
    Early, Only time for 1.2 mi run with.5@z4. Got out of work early post call and hit the gym:
    Core-planks and push-ups
    Dread mill-4 mi. 2@LSP, then 2x.5mi @z4
    Pool-2500m. Descends trying to maintain stroke per length within my range and form

Mon-am run done. No swim-stuck at work til 9pm
  • Options
    Alright friends --- how is the weekend of training gearing up? Everyone all set to crush it?
  • Options
    Could only muster up 3 hours on the trainer this morning. I just can't stay engaged any longer than that. I hope to keep it rolling this weekend.
  • Options
    @Gary-strong work getting it done on the drainer. I think 3 hours is a great day!

Got mine done on the Beeline, 0530 start. Great weather, no wind, a little more debris on shoulder but no flatsimage

3.5 hours, 66 miles, 4x 25'@ .8. Remainder .75 as much as possible. Hydration/fuel went well. I've done sweat test and know my needs so skipped that. Also skipped the run today due to heat and time.

Friday-had to sleep in after late thurs run. After work did 20' dreadmill LSP then 4 30" z4 strides. Then 45' pool swim.

Thursday nights second run was the worst. 3 slow miles. Best part was jumping in the pool when done.

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday!!
  • Options
    @ Gary- thanks for the heads up on the swim out at Bartlett tomorrow...I'm going to enjoy a much-needed rest day tomorrow and get all my packing done for IM Wisconsin... Mooooo!

Had a nice week of training and fine-tuning for Wisco. Had my best 3800m (non-wetsuit) swim on Friday and a very enjoyable 2.5 hr ride + 30 min brick run this morning. Body is feeling healthy and ready to race!
  • Options
    @Michael Glad to hear. Go tear it up at Moo.

There are more OWS coming up,but it sounds like you are covered.
  • Options
    @Michael-Good luck at IMWI Still impressed you are doing two so close together!

Holiday weekend and family in town, late night last night-slept in to get a full 7 hours.
    Short Run to make up for none yesterday then only 110 minutes on drainer-Bosrstone @.8.
  • Options
    It's been a busy weekend here, but I managed to get in two good rides and a morning run. Coming out of "getting faster" I feel like I should be ready for week 9 of the IM plan, and yet it kicks my ass every time. I thought the holiday weekend was going to make training harder but I actually managed to get it done and get some extra sleep, so I feel really good about that.

Glad to see all of the AZ people are making it work even with the heat. I don't know how you all manage that, but great job regardless.
  • Options
    Double 0. Nothin, as in I got nothin in this weekend. However, I did take three trips to home depot, replace a faucet, dishwasher, tear out a gigantic weed garden (not that kind), mulch the crap out of my yard (not done yet), take my kids to a baseball game, and usual pre-work week. Yippers.

I am contemplating pullout out of GF early. Either way headed out for a run this am.

Good work guys, you are already pulling away from the masses.
  • Options
    Last transition week for me, will do 4 weeks of hard bike focus and jump on IM plan in week 15.
  • Options
    only a 10k run on saturday, but got some huge SAU working the house and garden...good job Team