Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

2016 IM Louisville- Week 15 CAMP WEEK!!!

Week 15- Camp Week/ Race Rehearsal
Ok IM Louisville Crew- Way to get the chatter goin in the forums- I love it!! @Elizabeth- you can def move it to Thursday if you need to- don't stress too much about that!! 
You have made it to WEEK 15! WOOHOO!! With each week comes a little more excitement for the BIG DAY! So let’s talk about this week.  It’s camp week which means more thought and planning for the weekend.  Remember to pay extra attention to the Coach Notes in the plans.  They will give IMPORTANT information about this week. ALSO- Coach P did a great video about how to approach this week of training- check it out!, read more in depth in the forums on Race Rehearsal weekends.  I would recommend if you have specific questions for Coach Rich or Patrick, GET THOSE IN THE MICRO/MACRO forums NOW! Don't wait to ask them a questions on Friday night for Saturday morning!
Things to Remember:

Rest! Cumulative lack of recovery can impact race rehearsal - Can take a break Monday or Thursday if you need (If you're going to camp then this works out great as Thursday is your travel day)

Workouts that are focused and require the most dedication:

Good interval bike
Good Interval run

Think at the start of this week.

What do I need this weekend to get ready. Get your equipment dialed in.

Pacing

Get out there and JRA - 1 hour 1.5 then to steady pace

Fueling plan

Run - first three miles LRP plus 30” per mile. First three miles to settle in - mark the transition and take stock of how you feel

Keep on CRUSHIN’ it Louisville Team!!!

Comments

• Options
    What up everyone! Well, took the day off Friday to get the RR in, and the weatherperson is predicting great weather here in Michigan (hopefully, they are right). Enjoyed the 4000k swims early this week, and they could not have been timed better for me. I've been dealing with a calf strain (says my doctor across the street) for the past week and a half. The 2 hr. run last Thursday did not help things, and Sunday's run hurt (which I cut by 15 mins). So, put myself in the run half-way house today. The good news is that it feels better/different yesterday and today, so going to test it out with the brick run tomorrow. Crossing my fingers that the 6 miler rehearsal and 2 hr. run Sunday are relatively pain free.

On another note, I have to suck it up and actually complete a century plus ride on my own Friday. I really struggle with pure boredom around mile 90 when I'm on my own, and it does not help that my long rides are on a 30 mile loop, which brings me by my car twice every 30. My legs have gas left, but the brain says otherwise.

Everyone kill it this weekend and be safe!
  • Options

(edited - sorry Laura!) Laura - thanks for the continued team mojo!!! We're ready for this week - only four hard weeks to go before we can taper!!!

• Options

WOOHOO! So excited for the Louiville team!! YOU ARE GETTING THERE!! If you didn't see this post from Paul about the course- check it out- its awesome!

http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/21645/Default.aspx#233131

• Options
    I'm starting my camp weekend a day early so i'll be doing the 112 bike 6 mile run tomorrow, followed by 100'ish miles Friday, and long run Saturday morning. I might shift the swim to another day as i've been to the pool 2 days in a row and might die of boredom if i make it 3 in a row!

@Kyle Completely understand the boredom factor when training. Best thing you can do is focus on your nutrition and numbers that last hour likes its race day...prepare yourself to run. Hope the calf recovers quickly!
  • Options
    I was just going over the camp week for the full plan (week 15). I will be heading to Louisville for the Labor Day weekend (since it is only 6 hours from MI) to workout on course (Labor Day and camp week lined up perfectly). For camp weekend, I'm planning on shifting the Friday/Saturday/Sunday workouts to Saturday/Sunday/Monday, since that is the time that I'll be there (run will be back when I'm in MI).

Since camp weekend is usually followed by a rest day, what do you all think about dropping week 16 Tuesday's workouts for a rest day. Thoughts?
  • Options

@ Rich

I also am switching mine to Sat/Sun/Monday.  I am taking Tuesday off and will do the easy ride Wed.  In the Wiki, they have a discussion about this if Camp week falls on a weekend.  I moved my tuesday run to today but just make it with less intensity.

Question for the group - I am training with some ladies who are using an older EN plan.  They are intending to do 6 hours both days.  The newer plans allow for less riding on day 2.  I am a beginner and am leaning towards this - targeting a 4 hour ride instead of a 6.  Do many people do the 6 hour back to back or have you scaled it back based on current plan structure?

Our weather has finally changed and we will be having our first low humidity weekend in about 2 months.  I am actually really looking forward to my rides this weekend.

Thanks

• Options
    Paul - Thanks so much for the recon notes, they are great (especially since my recon trip that I had hoped to get in got derailed).

Thanks for the well wishes Steve. Things are getting better down in the calf.
  • Options
    Julie - you may surprise yourself and feel really good that second day, especially given the expected lower temperatures and humidity. And if you're training with others, it's a ton easier than riding alone. But 4 hours is a good target for day 2. I think it's more important to get in the day 2 run rather than push too hard just to get 6 hours in.
  • Options
    @paul
    That is great perspective and what I was thinking too. My run is my toughest part and I want to do that with confidence on Monday. If I am totally trashed it will not be a good run. I have been feeling awesome on my bike and want to start translating that into my run.

I am actually looking forward to this weekend overall. The change in weather is so refreshing and time to see what our bodies can handle.

Good luck everyone.
  • Options
    @ Team!

Day 1 of camp in the books for me! Looking forward to everyone's notes from the weekend.

Is the Beginner Plan Sunday Run 60 or 120 min?

Sweet Dreams!
    Beth
  • Options
    I'm a little late to the party, but I'll be joining y'all in October! Raced LP in July and Lou was my back up plan if things didn't go as expected (which was the case). Wasn't sure I was going to physically be able to handle a 2 IM season, but getting back on the horse hasn't been so bad image.
    I've been quiet about my plan to race Lou because honestly I wasn't sure I could do it. I'm very competitive and just "completing an IM" isn't really my personality or what gets me excited about this sport. It took me a good 4 to 5 weeks of training and seeing how my body was recovering and adapting to say "ok, I think I can race Lou after all". So here I am coming out of the triathlon closet :-)
    I'm doing a modified camp week this weekend, just because my build for placid was super high volume and intensity and I do not want to risk burn out or injury 5 weeks out. So my plan is to ride 3 days straight with something that looks like: Saturday 60' run/3hr ride
    Sunday 3-4hr trainer session with small brick
    Monday full 112mile bike 60'run
    Tuesday: long run 15-18 miles

Hopefully the body will hold up. So far swimming and biking have come along, the running again (esp over 10 mile wkos) has been the most challenging. Weather is shifting in VA so the heat and humidity will diminish hopefully resulting in more pep to my step.

Keep up the great training everyone!!!
  • Options
    @ elizabeth. I think the sunday run for beginner is the full 120 minutes
  • Options
    Hi Danielle - welcome to Club Lou!
  • Options
    Lots of logistical challenges so far to Camp Week ... did the swim test Thursday ... Friday was completely sideways so only swam 2K ... got in a 150K trainer ride and 10K run yesterday
  • Options
    A last minute work trip last week, an unexpected weekend trip for a funeral, and another upcoming work trip this week killed any hope of a camp week (as well as just about all training). I'm going to try to do something like a camp weekend next weekend. Way to get it done this weekend, everyone. I'm very jealous.
  • Options

Hi Danielle! We are so glad you are here! 

• Options
    Camp done! What is the best way to debrief and get feedback from the team?

Thank you and enjoy the day,
    Beth
  • Options
    Sorry for the late coming to this thread but crazy busy with life etc. but will try and get better here to race day.

Whew!! I made it through this week/weekend. One of the toughest I've did and I've been around EN since the beginning. I took Friday off work to do the RR (first time I've ever did that). 2.4 mile swim in 1:12 as very comfortable pace, then the 112 bike in 5:23:xx with some nutrition learning. Tried new gels (supposed to be more healthy and natural but the stomach did not like) which made it challenging from a level that didn't have to be. Also a battle with winds all morning, but that was kinda good since no real hill around here so I'd say it was close to a race time and my IF was around .73 for the ride. Did the 6 miles in 46:xx (7:44 pace) which might be a little much for my first 6 miles in the real deal but let me see how easy/slow I need to go for the race.

Saturday bike after the RR day was rough at first but once I got going I just rode along at comfortable pace and got in 83 mile at .68 IF followed by a 4 mile run around 7:30 pace (wishful pace for final miles of IM)

Sunday long run was my most surprising workout. I thought with how I felt from all the work already put in over the weekend I'd suffer and barely be able to hold TRP for the run. But to my surprise I felt pretty decent and was holding sub TRP pace and ended with Zone 2 and Zone 3 last couple miles for a 17.35 mile run in under 2 hours.

Keep at it folks.... this stuff works!!
  • Options
    John - sorry to read that things went sideways from a training perspective. Next weekend should work nicely for longer workouts. Saturday's workout already has a long swim and bike, with a shorter run. There's also the week 18 RR if your schedule stays chaotic this week.

Depending on what discipline you want to focus on, you could extend Saturday's bike to 112 and then switch the Saturday and Sunday runs. Then extend Sunday's ride to whatever you feel you need. But if you also want to run long, then be mindful of the two long runs that are scheduled in weeks 16 and 17 -- week 17's run is a 3-hour effort on Thursday -- definitely confirm with Coach P.
  • Options
    Hey Beth - congrats on finishing Camp Week!!! You can definitely share anything here, and there's also the Race Execution Discussion forum which will probably give you a wider range of feedback. Just add a new topic to this thread:

http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aff/25/Default.aspx
  • Options
    Well, Camp Week didn't go as planned for me, but I made the best of it. Here are the summary notes so far (still not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow):

-- Thursday did the 2.4 mile swim (in full wetsuit) and was very happy with how I felt.

-- Friday was supposed to be a vacation day, but wound up working and could only swim 1.2

-- Saturday's bike-run brick was a great learning experience. I pushed too hard on the bike and only did 93 instead of the full 112. I totally bonked after too much time in zone 3. (I was trying to push harder to know what it feels like, and I now know it doesn't feel good). Took a 30-minute break with chicken noodle soup before the run, and the run felt pretty good considering I was trashed.

-- Sunday was going to be another brick, but I decided to run long instead. I already did the Chattanooga Camp Week, and since I'm less comfortable with the run, I switched at the last minute. Glad I did that - it was a great run! I focused on pushing very hard past mile 10 - that's been difficult for me to do. I followed that up with an easy afternoon swim in the outdoor pool. My legs kept cramping up so I did 1.2 KM of pulling.

-- Not really sure what to do for tomorrow, if anything. It's the last day at the outdoor 50-meter pool so I'd like to get one last session in. Maybe an easy bike ride to spin the legs.
  • Options
    Camp week wrap up.

I did my swim FRiday PM. I often have bad calf cramps towards the end of my swim so I had my wetsuit, safety device and husband in a canoe. Got to about 80 minutes and calf seized up badly. Was thankful my husband was nearby. This is my biggest fear at Ironman. I have tried nearly everything, magnesium, potasium, hotshot, nothing really works. It is worse when I am physically tired so I am hoping I will be better on race day since I will be rested.

I train with some ladies who use the EN plan also. Out intent was a 6 hour ride Saturday but a couple of wrong turns made us go 645. The day was perfect so it was fine for me but. a bit of drama in the group. One hour run felt better than expected and it was tough to keep at recommended pacing.

Sunday I kept the ride to 60 miles. Was definetly slower than Saturday and my bottom was SORE! Short run was fine.

My run today was also better than expected. I hit the pacing I needed to (which is slow). Happy to be done and know I have a day off. My confidence is growing!

Hope everyone is enjoying their Labor Day.
  • Options
    Wow, the consistency and hard work of this EN team is amazing!

My Camp Week went very well, considering a few things as highlighted below:

RR Swim: I did it Thursday, since I cannot make it out to my bike ride spot within the 20 min prescribed by Coach P in the notes. No wetsuit, but was happy to maintain a 1:33/100 yd. pace during the main set. I will take that any day of the week.

RR Bike: This was Friday and my very first 112 mile ride ever, and my first ride over 100 solo. Learned a lot, specifically that I need to take in more GE and calories, despite the fact that I have a hard time getting down more than 24oz per hour. I felt weak for a spell at around mile 80, which subsided after eating/drinking more. I also kept breaks to the absolute minimum, stopping quickly only to use the facilities and grab bottles. Avg. speed of 20.4, elevation of 4145, and time of 5:30.

RR 6 Mile Brick: This run felt weird, but not bad by any means. The first mile (actually all the miles) felt like I was running a 10 min pace, and was surprised when it was sub 8 for the first. But, my HR was definitely higher than what is recommended, so worked hard at lowering it the remainder of the run. RPE was very very comfortable, and ended with avg. pace of 8:10.

Day 2 Ride: Did 60 miles in about 3 hrs., and my power was better than expected. Rear end hurt!

Day 2 30 Min Brick: This started my Garmin 920 issues for the weekend, as I forgot to bring it with me. So, I decided to make the 30 min drive home, before starting the run. Got right to it, and my TRP 144 HR was in-line with the pace I have grown to see (just under 8 min miles). But, the longer break probably explains why my HR was not elevated as it was on the Friday run.

Day 3 2 hr. Run: Toed the line to start, and noticed my Garmin battery was on fumes. It ended up lasting about 2 miles, then it went dead. So, first experience without pace and HR on a run for the first time in probably 1.5 years. I can say, I did not like running without it!

I'm enjoying the time off today!
  • Options
    I feel like I need to preface that I was beyond scared of Camp Week! That said, I am super proud of myself that I did it!!!!!!!!!!!

I swam on Thursday - to be honest, I lost count after awhile, so I swam for 1:20 and hopped out of the pool and went to pick up my daughter from XC practice.

Friday (and I am incredibly grateful to help I had to get my daughters to and from their sport practices) - I headed out at 8:10 for my 6 hour ride. I live rural / residential, so I had an easy time finding a route that I felt was manageable and safe for me to ride. My fuel plan changed based on feedback I got from Coach P (originally I was eating an Rx bar and three clif shot blocks per hour, and he said there was too much fat and fibre.). So I ate one Honey Stinger Waffle, plus three black cherry shot blocks, with 20oz of water with 1 scoop of scratch per hour for a total of 330 calories, and 470mg of sodium.
    Total time was 6:10 for 92.82 miles. Speed was 15mph, which is my goal.

I successfully ran 4.55 miles in 60', for a pace of 13:17, which is 13 second under my marathon goal.

Saturday - Ended up rolling out later than I wanted (9:45) - thought about defrosting the freezer instead image - I rode 56 miles (2 loops) and practiced the same nutrition strategy as Friday's ride. Felt tired, and not very sore, which surprised me. Rode 56.52 miles in 3:43:13, with a slightly faster pace (!!). Ran 2.55 miles in 32:15 with a pace of 12:40 (!!).

Sunday- This was my challenge day. I have been struggling with a medial knee issue for the past year. I have been working with a very talented functional chiropractor who has helped me go from not being able to walk down the stairs, to nailing yesterday's run - 10 miles - 2:11:39, with a pace of 13:06. My nutrition was 1 E-Gel (Tropical) every third mile with water. I used Coach Rich's water, water, gel strategy and I think it set up well for me.

Today's question is how do you know if you are fully fueled coming off the bike? My sweat test said 350 calories per hour and I am pretty close there and I did not have any GI issues on Friday or Saturday.

Looking forward to any feedback you have.

Cheers,
    Beth
  • Options
    It's cool to read everyone's notes ... it seems that Camp Week has taken the "fear of the unknown" out of many of us ... we can do this!

This morning I biked stoopid easy to spin the legs, then swam 4.1K in the 50-meter pool this afternoon. I'm getting more confident that the swim will not completely clobber me.

@Julie - I get a lot of calf cramps in the water as well. The two biggest factors for me are not enough fluids throughout the day, and recent running/biking work. By race day you should be fine as you'll be perfectly hydrated and tapered.

@Kyle - so nice to read the the leg issue didn't hamper your weekend! And yeah, running without the Garmin is a strange feeling.

@Beth - I wish there was an easy answer to that question. I suppose that's why we practice it every weekend, it just takes a while to get used to what works for you. I average about 500 calories/hour on the bike, and have been working to front-load my eating ... bars and Infinit the first half then switching to gels and GE for the second half. From everything I've read, it's a good sign if you start the run a little hungry.