Home General Training Discussions
Options

Turkey Day Plans

It has been a tradition of mine as long as I can remember to get out and do a  race every Thanksgiving.  I will be traveling to Indy this weekend so i am going to get the chance to do something new.  I think it is 4.5 miles.  I will knock it out early then head for the turkey.  Anyone else going to be turkey trotting?

Comments

• Options
    8 Mile turkey trot this Thursday, here in Dallas. My 6th consecutive year doing it.
    Then requisite beer drinking and breakfast burrito eating.
  • Options

It's just not Thanksgiving without a Turkey Trot!  I'm participating in one in Houston, a 10K.

• Options
    Me too! Going to do my first Turkey Trot on Thursday here in our beautiful mile high city. I'm hoping it's not as crowded as I hear it is...planning to use this as my week 8 run test.

May you all earn yourself an extra slice of pie!
  • Options

Signed up for Turkey trot 4 days after IMAZ. Too soon?

• Options

No dry land running for me right now...but I am planning on a Thanksgiving morning mountain bike ride. Maybe I scare up a couple of wild toms...

• Options

If weather permits I will ride outside. The forecast is not looking good though.

We will be going to my sister's house for our meal. She lives in Chicago, so we're not traveling. Yay!

• Options
    Hard 3-hour bike ride for me with one of my training buddies. Supposed to hit 80 degrees here on Turkey Day!
  • Options
    No running for me due to injuries...sigh...I will miss my annual Turkey Trot tradition!! Will try to ride outside or at least hit the trainer for an hour or two before getting the meal ready!!
  • Options
    I have done a turkey trot every year since I can remember, started doing them before I was actually a runner. They have gotten better since I have learned to not close down the bars the night before.

This will be the third year in a row doing the super informal turkey trot in Skaneateles NY where my wife is from. No chips, numbers or registration of any kind. Maybe a couple hundred people meet in front of the Sherwood Inn at 9:00 and run a just under 3 mile course that is all up hill for the first mile. They do note the times of the top finishers every year. Lots of people head into the Inn after for bloodies or mimosas. Cool tradition.

• Options

Breaking the tradition this year of running a 4.4 mile Turkey Trot and always having numb toes because it is usually snowing on Lake Ontario.  This year I am in sunny CA and will be running a 5K, hopefully in shorts and a t-shirt with not a thought of snow!!   

• Options

Forward Motion Race Club here in NorCal has a Thursday morning run.  My wife is gonna run and I am going to putter down the trail a bit with my 7 year old son.  Maybe a mile and then head to Peet's coffee and meet up with FMRC folks.  Nice relaxing morning. 

• Options
    Posted By Matt Sullivan on 24 Nov 2009 03:17 PM

If weather permits I will ride outside. The forecast is not looking good though.

We will be going to my sister's house for our meal. She lives in Chicago, so we're not traveling. Yay!

Matt....we will be in Yorkville, IL for Thanksgiving.  My daughter and I are looking for a fun little run to do.  I was going to look tonight.  We will be in Chicago on Friday for the annual insanity then she and I are taking the Megabus home because she has tryouts on Saturday for the Minnesota Junior Elite Triathlete team.  Should be fun.....riding the Megabus.....I have heard the weather might not cooperate.....

• Options

Skipping the Turkey Trot in Dallas after 8 consecutive years.   Early Turkey day run on my own then playground time with the kids and then TURKEY and other goodies.  I guess Ill do the challenge I posted too.  

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

• Options

Yep, I'm doing a run tomorrow too... a 10k around a local lake. The best part about it is that i"m doing it with a few other ENers....  I can't wait!

• Options

Dunno. Probably an easy ride with some friends, dinner at the International House of Haroon, former client, good friend of mine. Spaniards (Basque), Pakistani, Italians, Chinese and me, the lone honky. Joanne doesn't have to work so this is only about our 2nd T-day together, ever.

Friday and Saturday I'm doing a large, organized dirtbike ride from outside LA to Barstow, then finishing in Vegas, about 500 dirt miles

• Options
    No running for me due to injury. Catching a 6:30 am flight to my mom's to spend time there. see my brother and meet my new 2 month old nephew. Plan to spend the day doing couch to kitchen intervals to refuel with all sorts of goodies throughout the day. My mom makes a killer pumpkin bourbon cheesecake so plan to hit that a couple of times. Otherwise it'll be a few days off of training until Saturday when I get home
  • Options

Tonight starts the Triple Threat.  Full Turkey Dinner at one of my best friend's house.

Tday - Ride outside in the AM.  Maybe solo, maybe with my GFF (get fast friend), he hasn't commited yet.

Fri - Travel to wife's family in NY.  14 nieces and nephews.  The kids love it.

Sat - Full Tday dinner with wife's family.

3 full Tday dinners in 4 days. 

Have fun and be safe all.

Dave

• Options

Will be running the Atlanta half marathon tomorrow morning.  It was tradition in the past but got hijacked the last couple years to rent a mountain cabin with friends for the long weekend.  That was a much fun but definitely not good for my liver or waistline.  I'm putting running the half back on the Thanksgiving tradition list for good

• Options
    New Turkey Trot this year. For the last 5 years we have gone to Hilton Head S.C. for Thanksgiving and have done a 5k on the island. Nice run followed by bananas and beer! Perfect combination after a run at 9:00 in the morning.

This year we are staying home and racing in a local 5 miler. I'm sure it will be a great race, but definitely will miss the post race refreshments.