Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

2016 IM Maryland Week 20- It's TIME

RACE WEEK! WEEK 20
Everyone started this journey for different reasons, at different times and here we are, coming together to execute and CRUSH the Ironman Texas course. It may be your first or another one of many but each time we have to dig into ourselves and find out "WHY DO WE DO THIS CRAZY THING?"
You're welcome to share your "One Thing" or keep it to yourself but remember, practice this now. Look yourself in the mirror and say it out loud. Your body hears what your mind says. Tell yourself WHY however many reasons and one things it takes.
Remember to focus on the mental game. Do not underestimate this 5th Ironman discipline, it might be one of the most important ones.
When you are in doubt remember this….YOU HAVE ALL THE TOOLS YOU NEED!  You've put in the hard work, the learning, the training, the tank is full, you have all the tools. Put it all together on race day and be proud with whatever outcome you see. Smile and enjoy this day. Remember to be kind to your family, friends, volunteers. Represent EN well. Take time to thank the ones that have gotten you here. Love on those friends, spouses.
-----------------------------------------------------
Doing everything right for 20 weeks, executing perfectly on the swim and bike is only going to get you to the The Line as discussed previously, but make no mistake, it will come and when it does, have those One Things ready at the forefront!
Summary: During the course of your race day, expect your body to have a very convincing conversation with your mind: "Look, Mind, you've had me out here slogging away for 132 miles. This is really starting to get old and very painful. If I see another Strawberry Banana Gel I might throw up. You need to give me a good reason to keep going forward. If you can't give me a good one, I'm gonna slow down and you can't stop me!" If you don't have an answer ready, your day could be over right here.
Advice: Before the race, you need to be able to answer the question: "Why am I doing this race?" In other words, you need to determine what is the One Thing that put you in this race? To finish in the daylight with a smile on your face? To run a 4:10? .

Whatever your One Thing is, be absolutely clear and rehearse your mind/body debate beforehand. Practice makes perfect and this is a critical thing to have ready for when your body starts to push back.

Be warned: your body can be a helluva good negotiator at mile 18, especially if your mind hasn't prepared its rebuttal arguments beforehand.

Now team, do me a favor, take a deep breathe.... yes I mean it.... in through the nose, out through the mouth and SMILE. Are you doing it? Still not joking, DO IT!!!
It has been an honor to be your Race Captain. I am here all week if you need to vent, have any questions etc. AND reach out to each other!! THIS IS AN AMAZING GROUP!!!
SIDE NOTE: Last year the dinner was held at River View at the Point Restaurant. Here is the menu….What do you guys think?? I can call and make a reservation if it looks ok to the group.
http://riverviewatthepointrestaurant.com/menu/2107366

River View at the Point Restaurant

1 A Sunburst Highway
Cambridge, MD 21613

Comments

• Options
    @Woody- Yes Heather and I would be interested in early informal dinner at above said restaurant.... Good a place as any I guess...

Last week/first week of taper - 12hrs, 815 tss, 14k swim, 114 bike, 25 run....overall I feel pretty good... however thursday night couldnt sleep, got up at 3:30am drank coffee and ate ( I was starving at 3:30am) spent some time on the bike (tires/tubes/cleaning) friday was a planned 3 mile long swim , just not feeling it and shut it down after 1 mile... sat/sun training and sleep much better.... dropping my dogs off at Dads today, heading halfway down to Scott Dinhofers tomorrow, and will finish up the drive on Weds...
  • Options

Ooof ... noticed some angry looking guy in the photo on this week's lead post 

Yeah, we're OK for dinner. Thursday evening @ 6 PM? And how to I access the spreadsheet to put my info in, lodging, phone email, etc? I can't seem to find a link to it.

• Options
    @ Al - cyberstalking this forum, no spreadhsheet anymore... the EN master peeps (mariah & brenda) do it behind the scenes based on season planning submission to R....
    where are you staying? same as Tim??

@Tim - cleaned up for you guys... looking forward to your visit!
  • Options
    Looking forward to the race. Been down and out with a fever the past few days. Hoping to feel better by the time we hit the road. We won't make the team dinner on Thursday, hope you all have a great time. Can't wait to see you out there.
    I've been monitoring the weather but can't find a water temp.
  • Options
    cyberstalking too.. looking fwd to see what our 2 WSM will do this week end !

be safe travelling !
  • Options

@Michele here is a link from the master racing page for IM MD http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=camm2

I am interested in the dinner as well.  Will update tomorrow before noon, but prob 4 total.  Found a place on VRBO with a friend who entered the race a few weeks ago (after already doing Texas and Canada earlier this year).  15 mins from race site and on the back side of Cambridge away from traffic so our wives can dip in/out during the day as we each have toddlers.  My taper has been full on as asthma has really acted up so last week I had 3 compete days off and taking off today tomorrow after 3hrs on Sat (bike/run) and 2hrs Sun (bike/run).  Hoping to be breathing better by Saturday!  Looking forward to meeting everyone.

• Options

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/cbofs/cbofs.html

On this link, click on "Cambridge". Data in graphic form, also shows prediction for next 48 hours. Other data including wind and current. The buoy is literally in the middle of the swim course. Right now it's 75F, and slowly falling. Historical data for Oct 1 seems to hover around 21C (18-24 range) which is about 72. Wetsuit cutoff: 76.1/24.5C.

• Options

Posted By Scott Dinhofer on 26 Sep 2016 11:00 AM

where are you staying?... 

We're at the Hyatt Resort on the river, 4 miles upstream from the swim, 2 from the finish.

• Options

Hey all! Let's start a list for the dinner on Thursday....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BXsiStvNTvkGjsklG3fKic0UkBBQl3cWUsjdbLsZWAE/edit?usp=sharing

• Options
    Should be in Cambridge in about an hour. Wife Jarie & I plan on attending the dinner. (Last year I was the only 1 there. Boo! But had a good diner with another ENer in town.
    Left foot and knee issues but hopefully a bike sandal will help.

Was on the podium 4 HIM Raleigh. EN got an award & a flag! I was the lone ENer on site so I accepted it. Hopefully someone @the dinner will be seeing coach Patrick or Rich and can pass it along.

Saw the dinner sign up sheet but on my cell it showed no one & I wasn't able to sign up; but we plan to be there @ 5:30 as the form noted.
  • Options
    Laura I dont think the google doc is working?
  • Options

Ah thanks Tim!! I was wondering why no one signed up yet... here is the updated link! SHould work now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BXsiStvNTvkGjsklG3fKic0UkBBQl3cWUsjdbLsZWAE/edit?usp=sharing

• Options
    Laura - Thanks! Added my name for dinner!
  • Options
    We arrive tomorrow, but do not think we will make dinner. I hope we get to see everyone.

We are also staying at the Hyatt.

I have not been active (physically or on the site) as I fell and hit my head while ice skating and sustained a concussion. I am greatly improved and hope to receive clearance from the doctor today.
  • Options
    Laura,

I can see 3 lines on the sign up sheet have been used but I am still unable to add my wife and I. But you may have already read this in other forums.
  • Options
    Good evening all - comin' to you live from Cambridge, MD! It is wet... raining like hell :-(
    At any rate, it appears that we have 7 adults for dinner tomorrow night. Laura - would you like me to call? Or has someone done that already? (Sorry if I am duplicating efforts here...)
  • Options

Reservation made! As of right now it looked like 8 (7 plus Jim and wife). If there are more we can adjust! I just wanted to make sure we had a spot. The reservation is for 5:30 and it is under Endurance Nation

• Options
    Awesome Laura Thank You!
  • Options
    Good afternoon all -
    My buddy Sean will be joining us for dinner tonight. I called the restaurant and added +1 to the reservation (which is now listed as 10).
    Looking forward to seeing everyone later!
  • Options
    My husband & I cannot make the team dinner after all. Ran into some car trouble & are waiting on another rental. Have fun & see everyone on the course!
  • Options

For those who did not attend the Athlete's Briefing, the following links might be useful. First, they put a version of the briefing on line at Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/ironman+maryland/keywords_search?filters_rp_author=243085622545454

Second, there are some YouTube videos about the course and transition area. This page has the run,and links to the swim and bike (they re from 2015, but little has changed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMD9sFc7Rfk

Finally, looks like the water temp is about 72F, doubt it will change much in the next 36 hours. You;re on your own for the weather forecast.

• Options
    Drove some of the bike course yesterday. There was high water covering the entire road going through sections of the wildlife refuge. Anyone have thoughts on how to tackle this on the bike?

We drove through some of the high water but decided to turn around when our small suv began making loud noises. Turns out that the water ripped a plastic covering on the car & it was dragging.
  • Options
    Christina, I plan to slow way down to enter the water to keep from doing an endo over the front of the bike , once in the water spin fast to keep momentum , pray I make it thru without wiping out, getting a flat , di2 keeps working, power meter keeps working , etc....gonna be a learning experience as we go I think... Also wondering how or if water in the rims will feel?
  • Options
    Agree with Tim. In addition, if the patch of water is not too big, coast through the water with you feet level.
  • Options
    They just announced via Facebook that the bike course will change due to high water. It will be 104 miles instead. Facebook had the names of the redirected roads