Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

2016 IM Louisville- Week 19- Almost there

THE BOX WEEK 19

This group has got it GOIN ON!!! Posts last week were great- the good the bad the ugly and all above. Sending GOOD mojo to all as we enter into this home stretch. First things first- we have a TON of interest in a team dinner so I would like to begin organizing that. Apparently there are several restaruants on 4th street...Including Hard Rock Cafe, TGI Fridays and The Old Spaghetti Factory.....do any of those sound good to you?? I will be sharing a spreadsheet for you to sign up this week. Ok now the good stuff.....

I know we are busy but the time is ALMOST here!! Give us a quick shout out to know you are with us and getting ready!!!

The biggest thing to remember is that you are TRAINED and ready to EXECUTE this race.  Your MIND and ATTITUDE play a huge part in this….SO lets keep our AWESOMENESS GOING!!!!

buddha.jpg

This week think about YOUR box, what you learned in RR1 and RR2 and how you can keep the box as large. Remember you are not out there trying to make anything happen on race day. You are keeping that box as large as you can for as long as you can, you're focused, calm, collected and executing ninjas.

All day long you are going to race inside a box defined by what you can control. Ask yourself "What do I need to do right NOW to create the conditions for success at The Line? Is what I'm doing right now counter to this goal?

Advice: On the swim, the Box is the space your body occupies in the water: focus on your form and the rest will come. On the bike, the box is probably about one aid station long. On the run, the box begins as 2-3 aid stations long but often diminishes to "from here to the next lampost/manhole cover/mail box." Regardless:

1. Keep The Box as big as you can for as long as you can.

2. Keep in The Box only the things you can control. Let go of the rest.

3. Exercise this decision-making process inside your Box: Observe the situation, Orient yourself to a possible course of action, Decide on a course of action, Act (OODA Loop).

And now I hand it off to the team....we have some experts here...what do you say??? 

Comments

• Options

Here is the link to a sign up sheet for a team dinner on THURSDAY, October 6.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12xP3ry9Y1vSSdqTntBbQfDttOOb5CR4Yr0ocFLuKtrw/edit?usp=sharing

• Options
    Made it through the race rehearsal this past weekend. Learned some important lessons:
    -- Heart rate trumps power as a target metric. On Friday's ride I focused more on power than HR, trying to keep my 5-mile lap power in a targeted range. On Saturday I did the opposite, keeping HR in a tight range and didn't react to power. Saturday's approach seems to be much better.
    -- That first mile on the run is going to be hard. It just takes a while before my body adapts to running.
    -- Cooler weather affects thirst and hunger. Sunday's ride was much cooler and I had to remind myself to drink and eat.
    -- I don't like riding cold. Depending on race-day temperature, I'll consider arm warmers, leg warmers, and possibly even a dry outfit to ride in.
  • Options

Is this exclusive to EN members and families? I was just wondering if I can bring a friend who I am carpooling with and who is doing the race.

• Options
    A few things:

1. What time is dinner on Thursday? I will be driving in from DC and hope to make it to L'ville by 5:30ish. (Rich, given this is not a team-paid-for dinner, you will be good bringing a friend, I think.)

2. My RR on Saturday was a sh!$show. Twelve miles into the ride, I had two flat tires and my rim tape shifted, meaning that I was just going to keep ruining tubes. I threw in the flag and had my wife come pick me up. I put on new rim tape, latex tubes and tires Saturday evening, so I was ready to ride Sunday. I ran 5 miles Saturday with my 8 yr. old riding next to me instead, which was good family time.

3. My 100 mile ride Sunday was good. I rode one of the multi-use trails in the area. Notwithstanding the street crossings and crowds, I was able to get a fairly decent ride. My nutrition was spot on. I had 2 bottles of orange Gatorade Endurance and one GU gel per hour (boy do I love the taste of both!)

4. Notwithstanding the halfway decent ride Sunday, I simply have not put in the training to make this a decent race. It is going to hurt, a lot! That said, I am looking forward to it (sort of!).

See you all in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Bring on the taper! This weekend was tough, I did the race rehearsal Friday and had a decent 112 mile bike. It was 90 degress by the time I fininshedthe bike and I stupidly chugged almost a full bottle of water prior to starting the run....my stomach couldn't handle it so the run was miserable. Lesson learned! I managed to cram in two more 3-4 hour rides Saturday and Sunday to get in some more volume.

@Paul- way to put in some volume this weekend! I saw you were at the top of the leader board on strava!

I'll be driving from Atlanta late thursday evening/night so I can't make the dinner. I would still like to catchup with everyone while there Friday to Monday morning! I'll be in an EN LG kit for the race so I'll be easy to pick out.
  • Options

Team- we could do a Friday night dinner instead if that works better for everyone! Just let me know 

• Options

Thursday works best for me.

• Options

I had been planning on arriving Friday but I have some flexibility as I am driving.

What is the advice on Thursday/Friday arrival?  I have not yet seen the course so I want to either drive it or easy bike a part of the loop.

Advice on when to arrive and why.  Most of my training friends are coming Friday.  My family would be too.

Thanks

Julie

• Options

What time is the dinner on Thursday?  I am unlikely to arrive before 7pm, so dinner is likely a no-go for me.  Like Steve, I would still like to meet up with the team at some point!  Perhaps after the Sat practice swim which ends at 10am!

• Options
    Julie...I like to chill race week... so I get to site early. This might change if I lived closer to the venue... but these are the broad strokes for Lou.

I'm driving with my son into Louisville on Wednesday (7 hours)... recover from drive. Early Thursday PP... 90' bike/swim...team dinner. Friday... Course recon...small run. Sat... bike/bag drop.... lay around all day. I don't want to be on my feet past Bike drop/lunch (for Wisconsin this meant 7:10 minutes of laying down watching Netflix. I'm going to try to break my record.
  • Options
    Darn, I don't think I will be able to make the Thursday dinner. My friend and are driving from Northern VA and won't get in until later Thursday evening. Hoping we can figure out a meet up on Friday...maybe pre or post a practice swim?
  • Options
    Hi all-

In for dinner Thursday, and open to any other meet ups. Is there a text group?

• Options
    What about having two separate team events ... a low-key dinner on Thursday for those that get there earlier, and then a Friday lunch right after the 11:00 a.m. athlete briefing? That would still let people attend the official Friday evening welcome celebration, and takes the stress out of trying to meet on Saturday. We could do a group photo on Friday right after the briefing.
  • Options
    @Ed: I'll be chilling all day Saturday as well. I plan to stream the Ironman Championships from my hotel room

@Kyle: Laura will set up a GroupMe text group sometime next week. We used it at Muncie - it's a great way for everyone to stay in touch.
  • Options

Posted By Paul Curtin on 27 Sep 2016 05:50 PM

@Ed: I'll be chilling all day Saturday as well. I plan to stream the Ironman Championships from my hotel room

@Kyle: Laura will set up a GroupMe text group sometime next week. We used it at Muncie - it's a great way for everyone to stay in touch.

my plan too for Saturday... 

Thursday for Friday works for me for dinner andor lunch. I am getting in Tuesday and will be taking it real easy with the taper plan. Probably get a bike recon in if anyone wants to join for an easy 30-40.

I'm also interested in swimming @ the Y.

• Options
    I will be arriving late afternoon / early evening on Wednesday. We are staying at the Hawthorne Suites, across the river in Jeffersonville, IN!

I would love to recon the bike on Thursday - Maybe able to join for lunch on Friday. My daughters want to run the 5K Thursday night.

• Options
    Any more thought on EN meal(s) ??
  • Options
    I've made lunch reservations for Friday, October 7 at The Bristol. I set the time for 12:45 - that should give us plenty of time if folks want to attend the 11:00 a.m. athlete briefing. Their menu looks pretty good and I hear it's a nice place.

How about the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner Thursday? It's right at the finish line.
  • Options
    Very valuable lessons learned from today's workouts:
    -- I can't be cold starting the swim or I don't seem to get warm; I'm bringing a hat and old running shoes for the swim line
    -- The EN skin suit isn't warm enough. It was cold riding today and that took my focus away from metrics and nutrition
    -- Did not eat and drink enough in the first 1.5 hours; need to really get that right on race day
    -- It's nice running in cooler weather!
  • Options
    Last year I went to Louisville to scout out the race. Here's a clip I took from the swim start:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0AVHfI0DVubX01SSElWa28wcG8/view?usp=sharing

And this one's near the swim turn-around:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0AVHfI0DVubMDl3bHZQcFplUEU/view?usp=sharing
  • Options
    Hi all.

Have no preference about where to eat Thursday or Friday. Thursday I'm (+1) 100% in, Friday 90%.

Really looking forward to this week and weekend. Got the bike all checked-out and tuned up yesterday!

I do not get in until Thursday afternoon, so my plan is to ride the course loop Friday morning (wheels down at 7:30/7:45 or so). This should leave plenty of time to make the 11:00 briefing. Let me know if anyone is interested in joining.
  • Options
    I also booked the Hard Rock Cafe for the Thursday dinner at 6:30. I made it for 10 people ... the Google doc currently shows 8 people signed up so if you plan to attend please update the document. Please also update it if you'll attend the Friday lunch ... 12:45 p.m. at The Bristol.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12xP3ry9Y1vSSdqTntBbQfDttOOb5CR4Yr0ocFLuKtrw/edit#gid=0
  • Options

Posted By Kyle Krywko on 02 Oct 2016 04:45 PM

I do not get in until Thursday afternoon, so my plan is to ride the course loop Friday morning (wheels down at 7:30/7:45 or so). This should leave plenty of time to make the 11:00 briefing. Let me know if anyone is interested in joining.
    Kyle - I likely will join you for the loop Friday morning.  I will hit you up with a message as we get closer. 

• Options
    Had to bump Saturday's workout to today as my eldest daughter had an XC invitational. So, the run was great and the bike was eh! Did not hit goal pace for race, or HR (did just treat myself to the 920XT) but did nail hydration, nutrition and salt, so it was what it was. Glad the temps dropped - we have similar weather to what I think we will be facing in LOU, so that was a good experience.

My take away question - it was 57-ish when I started the bike. I planned on wearing a tri kit, but am worried about being cold until the top dries out. Wicked smart member thoughts? Wear swim suit, then change into bike shorts and tri top, wear sport bra, tri shorts then change into bike shorts and tri top, figure out arm warmers, or just suck it up buttercup?

• Options
    @Paul - THANK YOU!!!!!!! At first glance in the second video, I thought I was seeing the Loch Ness Monster. image