Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Anna Stanbaugh Official Coach Thread

Anna - 

GREAT to talk with you. I know you aren’t pumped about your race performance, but don’t let that take away from all you have done / accomplished this year. I think that a season with a bit more recovery, and with some faster / shorter work in it, will play to your strengths. 

So right now I say keep it easy. You have a bit more recovery to go through, which means light running or cycling as you see fit, but nothing too hard.  The next step is the Run Durability Program (RDP), level 1 for four weeks. Let’s keep it easy here so that you can add in your strength work (2x a week, 1x yoga) without messing up the schedule too much. 

When you get a second, let me know what you are thinking for a basic strength / flexibility schedule so I can review (what days, how long, etc). 

Stepping back the bigger plan is to have you start the OS on 1/9/17…so until then our goal is just to get you on a nice consistent schedule!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Hi coach P.

I tweaked the OS run durability plan a little and adjusted it to what I think could work well for the next couple weeks/month. I changed the run workouts a little based on Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 (10k) plan, and added a yoga workout. I'm also considering switching the Thursday bike for a run+strength workout. If you have a minute to review, please let me know what you think.

This is an example (week 2). The runs get progressively longer and harder.

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    60 min 60 min 42 min 60 min 35 min 75 min 70 min
    Yoga Bike: MS: 2 x 8' (2') @ Zone4. Remainder of any time you have available @ Zone3 Fast Finish Run5: 5'Z1; 25'Z2; 12'Z3 Bike: MS: 4 x 4' (6') @ low Zone5. Remainder of any time you have available (if any, not required) @ Zone3 Speed Play Run 5: 5'Z1; 5'Z2; 5x(2'Z4/2'Z1); 5'Z1

Bike: WU: 10-15' @ Z2;

MS1:15-20' at "Best Effort", then 5' Easy. MS2: OPTIONAL: another "Best Effort" set, if you feel up for it. MS3: Remainder @ Zone3
    Long Run 2: 1miZ1; 5.5miZ2, 0.5miZ1 (7 miles)
    40 min (optional)

42 min (optional)

Bike Zones

Z1: 0 - 112

Z2: 112 - 120

Z3: 128 - 136

Z4: 152 - 160

Z5: 176 - 192
    40 min (optional)

Run Zones

Z1: >141

Z2: 142-158

Z3: 159-176

Z4: 177-186

Z5: <187</td>
    40 min (optional)

Run Zones

Z1: 11:02

Z2: 9:33

Z3: 9:15

Z4: 8:55

Z5: 8:30
    Foundation Run 5: 5'Z1; 30'Z2; 5'Z1 Foundation Run 6: 5'Z1; 35'Z2; 5'Z1 Foundation Run 5: 5'Z1; 30'Z2; 5'Z1 Foundation Run 5: 5'Z1; 30'Z2; 5'Z1

Thanks!

Anna

• Options
    Anna, thank you for sharing your tweet plan. I know we talked about doing a short core stuff this upcoming season and improving your speed. I want to be mindful about that as we look at your plan. First thing I notice is that you're running seven days a week which is something I tell people they should build to across 4 to 6 weeks there's no need to be blamed that many times right out of the gate!

I should plan on Monday as being Yoga only, for recovery. I like the way that your Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday like right now. I would recommend only increasing the distance/volume of your Wednesday and Sunday runs down the street the first four weeks. Once your schedule is established, you can then walk down the Wednesday and Sunday and instead focus on raising Tuesday Thursday Friday and Saturday.

Absolutely don't want you to increase all of your runs simultaneously across the week. Even just five minutes per run is at the meeting increase at this point so your two weeks away from adding a whole hour. There simply is no pressure there to move that quickly.

Does that make sense?
  • Options

@Anna Stanbaugh

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

So great to see a race from you. I think you had a really epic 2018, but you clearly hit a limit with your body. I see this season as a bridge back to being healthy and fit...and doing some cross training as well. To that end, I think that you should plan on the OutSeason Plan, Bike Focused edition for a few weeks, then we transition out to the Race Prep part of the Plan into Traverse City. Right now all of our plans are in Final Surge; if you want access you'll need to upgrade your membershiP to add it, and then we can add the training plans. @Brenda Ross Can be a great resouce for you in this area as well!

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Traverse City (2019-08-25) #70.3TraverseCity_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 03/26/2019
    • On 3/25/2019 Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 06/30/2019
    • On 6/17/2019 Load the    EN*Half Bike Focused  to end on 8/25/2019
    • On 8/26/2019 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 09/08/2019
    • On 9/9/2019  Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/06/2019

Your Notes

Ironman 70.3 Traverse City (2019-08-25) #70.3TraverseCity_19   

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P