Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

2016 IM Louisville- Week 20- GO TIME

RACE WEEK! WEEK 20

You are READY!!! It's time!! Huge shout out to Paul for making the reservation for a lunch and dinner! If you haven't signed up head over to the sheet to put down your name.  I wish I could be there with you but i will be cheering you on and tracking you ALL DAY!!

Everyone started this journey for different reasons, at different times and here we are, coming together to execute and CRUSH the Ironman Louisville course. It may be your first or another one of many but each time we have to dig into ourselves and find out "WHY DO WE DO THIS CRAZY THING?"

You're welcome to share your "One Thing" or keep it to yourself but remember, practice this now. Look yourself in the mirror and say it out loud. Your body hears what your mind says. Tell yourself WHY however many reasons and one things it takes.

Remember to focus on the mental game. Do not underestimate this 5th Ironman discipline, it might be one of the most important ones.

When you are in doubt remember this….YOU HAVE ALL THE TOOLS YOU NEED!  You've put in the hard work, the learning, the training, the tank is full, you have all the tools. Put it all together on race day and be proud with whatever outcome you see. Smile and enjoy this day. Remember to be kind to your family, friends, volunteers. Represent EN well. Take time to thank the ones that have gotten you here. Love on those friends, spouses.

-----------------------------------------------------

Doing everything right for 20 weeks, executing perfectly on the swim and bike is only going to get you to the The Line as discussed previously, but make no mistake, it will come and when it does, have those One Things ready at the forefront!

Summary: During the course of your race day, expect your body to have a very convincing conversation with your mind: "Look, Mind, you've had me out here slogging away for 132 miles. This is really starting to get old and very painful. If I see another Strawberry Banana Gel I might throw up. You need to give me a good reason to keep going forward. If you can't give me a good one, I'm gonna slow down and you can't stop me!" If you don't have an answer ready, your day could be over right here.

Advice: Before the race, you need to be able to answer the question: "Why am I doing this race?" In other words, you need to determine what is the One Thing that put you in this race? To finish in the daylight with a smile on your face? To run a 4:10? .

1. Whatever your One Thing is, be absolutely clear and rehearse your mind/body debate beforehand. Practice makes perfect and this is a critical thing to have ready for when your body starts to push back.

2. Be warned: your body can be a helluva good negotiator at mile 18, especially if your mind hasn't prepared its rebuttal arguments beforehand.

Now team, do me a favor, take a deep breathe.... yes I mean it.... in through the nose, out through the mouth and SMILE. Are you doing it? Still not joking, DO IT!!!

You guys are READY!!! Post here if you need ANYTHING!!!  Just to vent, have any questions etc. AND reach out to each other!! THIS IS AN AMAZING GROUP!!!

Comments

• Options
    My One Thing changed this past Friday (cute story). I have two daughters, 7 and 9. My perception the last 9 months was that my girls have no idea what a Ironman is, and why finishing is a tremendous physical accomplishment. All they know is that Dad gets up really early to swim, bike or run, and does the occasional race (which they end of driving my wife crazy at because of boredom).

On Friday, we went to the local mall, that has a wishing well. Of course, my girls asked my wife for some coins to make a wish. My little one threw her coin, and whispered to my wife and oldest that she wished "Daddy would have a great Ironman race." In typical fashion (big sisters can be such a pain!), my oldest pipes up and says "you shouldn't have told us, now it won't come true." I of course asked my wife what she wished for, and my wife told me. Damn if I didn't start to tear up a bit - my 7 year old does understand the work and effort that went into this training and the importance of this race!

So, my One Thing is proving my oldest wrong on behalf of my little girl - even a disclosed wish can come true! BTW, a "great" race is sub-11 (I'm really happy she didn't wish that Dad would "win").
  • Options

Typically, I have just my one "My One Thing". I actually have year two for IM Louisville:

First and foremost is always my family. My wife and two young daughters are my inspiration and I am their role model. I'd like to think that I shown them that they need to put in the work to achieve whatever their goals are and to never ever give up. My oldest daughter (who is 9 now), still brings up the time at the 2014 IM Wisconsin when I was hit by another participant that caused me a crazy mechanical and forced me to DNF after 3 miles into the bike. Once I gathered myself, I spent took my family out to the run course and volunteered the rest of the day and had them help me hand out food to the athletes. I think it had a last impression on her and can see it in her at school and in sports. It seems like she is always helping others whether it is at school or when she is playing sports. 

My second thing for this race, is I'm doing this race in remembrance of close friend (and fellow Ironman). He passed away at the age 46, after his second bought with cancer. He was super active and involved with our local triathlon team and things took a turn for the worst this year. Outside of the fundraisers that we've had for his family, this was the best way to honor him.

Wow...that got sentimental and emotional as I typed this up and I am not a very emotional person. It must be the taper crazies! Anyway - I've attached a note that she placed in my T2 bag for me without me knowing from IM Boulder last year (I'm sure part of that was my wife's doing). I really couldn't ask for a more supportive and loving family.

If I don't see everyone during the week, good luck on Sunday! I won't be in an EN kit, but if you happen to see a black and green Team Apex kit give me a shout (you'll have a 1 in 6 chance that it'll be me). You might also see me try to give you an EN gang, although I always get it wrong and just look like I'm cramping up image Let's go kill this race!!!

• Options

@Kyle That is pure awesomeness!

• Options
    Hey IMLOU peeps.... I just added myself and Heather to the EN team dinner at the HRC thursday night 6:30. seeya there
  • Options

I'm not racing this weekend but my One Thing is to watch all of the EN peeps virtually execute smart on a long day and continue the 1st place domination trend!

Good luck Ironmen!

SS

• Options

Advice needed

I will arrive in Louisville on Thursday (joining for dinner).  I have not biked course or seen it yet but I will not arrive early enough to do that Thursday.

My plan for Friday does not have me biking (I doubt anyones does).  Would that be too close to race to get in 20-30 miles out on the course?  Easy of course.

Feedback appreciated.  

@Elizabeth - Were you planning on biking at all when your are there?

• Options
    @Tim - looking forward to meeting you and Heather in Louisville!

@SS - thanks my friend, you're a good inspiration for us all. Hope to meet you someday soon.
  • Options
    Julie - if you're going to ride Friday I'd keep it short. Here's a route I made for my ride Thursday:

https://www.strava.com/routes/6538075

This is a good section to ride because you'll get a sense of what Ballard School Road is like. Perhaps cut out the loop that goes to Sligo to help keep the legs fresh - that would make it about a 15-mile ride. (To get there take I-71 north to exit 22 for La Grange. Turn left and you'll hit the town. There's public parking at the corner of 146 and 53)
  • Options

@Julie,

YAY! So happy you are joining for dinner.

Yes, I would love to bike and would appreciate the company. 30 would be too much for me, but could do 15-20, and would love to preview the more challenging parts (I have not been on, or seen the course either) and I am stress case about the hills (even though Paul has assured me my training has set me up well). 

My cell is 585-749-4394 - feel free to drop a text if you wish.

Safe travels,

Beth

• Options

@Tim, you are seriously coming from NH? WOW! 

• Options

@Rich,

So beautiful. Have an amazing race! 

• Options
    I love the number of young women we are thinking of for this race!!

I owe most of the success of my training to my eldest daughter, Emma, who is 15, and was chief of the watch during the summer - especially for all of my long rides, the swims, and the two race rehearsals. And to Sara who is 13, who would rather ride a horse than do a triathlon, but her patience and love (I missed 3 of her 4 horse shows this summer) was so important too.

I also lift my beloved friend Heather (http://www.fairport-erpost.com/x866117470/Fairport-teacher-Heather-Boyum-killed-in-Penfield-crash) who so loved triathlon and had a 5 year plan to complete an Ironman (which would have been next year).

This is my first Ironman, and I am so privileged to have trained with all of you and be a part of this amazing community. I can't say for sure where my head will be at mile 18, but knowing that our collective whys will be held near and dear to my heart.

Wishing everyone safe travels and looking forward to dinner.
  • Options

@Paul  Thanks for the link.  That would be a good loop option.

@Beth - Lets coordinate Thursday at dinner.

• Options

Hi Gang, just a reminder that last year it was quite chili in the morning and you spend a fair amount of time in line waiting for the swim, please be prepared with warm clothing (including hat/gloves/shoes)!  We are close!!!

• Options

Alan... Thanks...Had a few jacket options... but packed the hat and gloves now too... might save the day!

• Options
    In case you haven't seen this ... Coach Patrick did a Four Keys presentation at Louisville several years back ... here's a link to the first of four parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-U-Uc0BFyc

• Options

Looks like I am headed to wal-mart tonight to get some disposables to keep warm!

headed over to athletes village to get the lay of the land and scope out some parking. anyone getting a recon ride in tomorrow?

Looking forward to dinner tomorrow,

• Options
    Not sure if we are still posting here, or switching over to GroupMe - temps are bumping up slightly - high of 72, and the water is now 75.7. The gods of triathlon are still smiling down.