Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

2016 IM Florida Week 16- Rest- Swim and a splash of run focus....

Week 16 Rest/Run Focus/ Swim up a storm!
Hey ya’ll!! NICE WORK ON CAMP WEEK!!!! LOVED seeing your posts and hearing from you.  You are on a roll!! Those who did not check in -how did the weekend go? 
So this week has a few pretty important notes.

Mandatory for Camp Week Completers!  You must rest to consolidate the work you have done. If you did NOT complete camp week, you may do the workouts listed beginning on MONDAY.

It also is a Run Focus Week! If possible, aim for 6 to 10 miles more than your "typical" week by either inserting another run day or adding a small amount to every run you do. BUT this is entirely optional, it simply plays into the coaches separate build / taper approach for managing fitness by discipline across your Race Prep phase.

This week you will have another 4200 yard swim (which will be seen in the following weeks as well).  These can be  used as Swim Race Rehearsals.  Here are a few notes about that…..

Anything that takes your mind off of your form is counter productive

Your primary pacing tool is counting your strokes allows you to focus on technique and you will be in a pace where you can maintain

Set yourself up for the artificiality of the chaos the swim start will have on race day — rather than warm up (since you most likely won’t have that on race day) dive in and swim faster to replicate how it will be on race day then drop into your race pace- however pay attention that you aren’t dropping into a pace that is slower than your goal race pace

You will never be able to fully replicate the “washing machine effect” like race day but work on your mental focus for that effect. Focus on your legs and try not to kick too much.

Only swim as fast as your ability to maintain form.

Practice siting : 50 meter pool site 2x per 50
                         25 meter pool site 1x per 25
                         OWS use judgement  
Only site with your eyes so you don’t drop no chin out of the water
** Alternative **
You COULD just do this--- Train like you Race

Keep crushing it Florida Crew!!!!-- so proud of you all

Comments

• Options
    ok campers. hope everyone is feeling as good as can be expected. I posted a long whiny post last week about how training isn't going to plan, work and family commitments are not taking the back burner very well, and how I am generally not pleased between my ears with progress for this one.
    I hit "submit" and immediately regretted it. And the computer gremlins saw fit to eat it. So we were all spared....
    This is a big vol week for me with a consolidation in week 17 and a big week 18 before tapering. 2 of 3 sessions done today and I hit them hard and felt good.
    While I am clearly not "pr'ing my training" this time around, you never know what will hit you on race day.
    Good skill all. See you in a few weeks!
  • Options
    Hey Jimmy!
    Computer gremlins!! haha! that's funny!! Thank you for all of your posts...the good, the bad, and the ugly that got eaten. I think we have PLENTY of time to focus on good quality work and rest where need be. No we may not PR this but yes you may be surprised. I'm hoping that the weather gods will spare us the heat and rain we've seen all season. Gosh the odds are in our favor for a cool happy day. Whatever come ours way will make the best of it.

My goals for these 4 weeks:
    1.) Another day of rest after a big 70.3 effort yesterday.
    1.) Solid 3 weeks of hitting as many prescribed workouts as I can with ample rest and an increased focus on good nutrition.
    2.) Shift into logistical planning & execution/4 keys mode 10-14 days out. (Ive been kinda rushed and bogged down most of the year....procrastinating on lists and such...NOT this race!).
    3.) Write out my 4th key - why am i doing this. What one reason or multiple reasons. I really want to finish the year off expanding this 4th key. It's evolving and growing. I think that will help me.

I'm SUPER charged up for come what may IMFLA. Yvette is on board. Whoohoo!

It's been a long year and end of season triathlons are the toughest imo. Most everyone else is done and getting ready for ice cream brain freeze TT. We still have 4 weeks to focus and keep ourselves & each other fired up! Thanks @Laura for keeping us going!!! Let's all keep going. image
  • Options
    5 for 5 on this week's workouts...so far so good. After loading the trainer road advanced plan for today I saw it was 5' short on the FTP intervals and the intermediate plan was correct, so I did what I was supposed to and switched (though I was cursing my eagerness by the end of the 2nd one). I'd give myself a cookie for this, but I'm still trying to get down to race weight image

Looking like Hurricane Matthew might affect Fri/Sat workouts but I'll make the best of it.

Stephanie, I really hope you're right about the weather this year!

• Options

So far this week is going well for me too.

Mon. Rest day from Camp Weekend.

Tues. Easy run w/ 8 strides to get my legs back in the game.    Got the entire swim done(4600y) with no cramping issues.

Wed. 2X20' Zn 4. Tough workout. Went a little conservative on the first one, second one was very hard! Power a little low, .93 & .92.

Thurs. Got the opt. swim in this morning using a pull buoy and paddles on the 300's.  Running this evening. Second long run within 5 days ought to be challenging.

Looks like Matthew could affect my weekend also.

• Options
    today was a big day for me. Skipped work and put in a big friday. 5.5hrs on the trainer below, at and above race watts. And an hour run.
    now a 3hr drive to daughter's martial arts tournament. The good thing about a hard friday is that I get an easy saturday.
    Hope everyone is doing well.
  • Options
    Week 16 is in the books! For only the 2nd time EVER I was able to 1) get in every workout and 2) go over 20 hours for the week. Best of all was finishing yesterday's long bike feeling like I nailed my nutrition for the first time.

Hurricane Matthew thankfully spared us (though not elsewhere in FL). Mark I hope you made it through OK.
  • Options
    A little over 20hrs for the week and I feel decent. All of the bike time on the trainer. Lots of Netflix.
    Work is happy with me. Family is happy with me. At this point in the build, those are victories.
    Consolidation week next week. Hrs back to 17. 3 hr run on Saturday will be the toughie. Looks like the team got some big work done.
    Just realized that I need to lock down a rental car! Gotta go...
  • Options
    Decent week through Wednesday but have slowly been beaten down by a what I hoped was just a cold but no....full on flu. Ugh. Nothing. I've got absolutely nothing in the tank.

Mark & Scott hope everything is ok considering Matthew! Yikes. You guys & gals keep up the great work! Between updates from y'all, Kona & Lousvlle I'm still pumped. ??
  • Options
    Feel better Stephanie.
  • Options

All the bike work was on the trainer this weekend. 4 1/2 hrs on Sat. 2 1/2 more on Sun. By the time I was done on Sunday it had cleared up enough to get the brick run done outside. While out, saw a tree toppled over on a house-tough stuff, and we were just on the edge of Matthew.

• Options
    Week 17 is the biggest run week of the build for me. Looking for miles in the mid 40's. Long run of 18 on Saturday. Getting close now!