Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IMAZ Training Week 14 - 10/3 - 10/9 Run, Run, Run

2»

Comments

• Options
    Due to having multiple MD appointments and a colonoscopy next week (Thursday...and my birthday too)and the anticipated poor weather I moved my RR up this week. The weather in the PNW is now back into the liquid sunshine mode. Yesterday I swam 2.6 mile in the 90 minutes, gutted out a 6 hour trainer ride in the basement and then an hour run. The only breaks during the bike was to pee and change the Ironman World Triathlon Championship DVD's (I have 6) since I couldn't get it live during the race on my pad. I road in the 150+ watt range to see how my legs would do and work on my nutritional changes. DNF'd in Lake Placid earlier due not being able to tolerate the on course Endur. Gatorade and the lack of food and fluids intake during the bike. This lead to puking in the bushes on the run at mile 3 and pulled out at mile 13 with not enough time to finish (had plenty of time at the start of the run). I discussed this with Coach P. while on the run course and he concurred to do no harm. Did well with the fluids yesterday and followed some of Coach R.'s nutritional plan too. My run seemed to go well @Z1+ after the bike and my legs felt like they usually do when I go out for a run after work. I'll take that. I believe I have to put in a 50+ miler on the bike today...which means on the trainer. It's raining harder today than yesterday and I'm glad I'm not doing the Portland Marathon today. It's only rained twice during the race and I've been in both of those in the past. The pain cave doesn't sound quite so bad now.
  • Options
    I rode with Betsy yesterday on the beeline. It was a good day except all three of us had rear flats at some point.

Didn't get to run yesterday or do anything today, as I got to go to the ER for a kidney stone last night. HD a stint put in. Check out tomorrow, but not sure what camp week is going to look like this week.
  • Options

So sorry Gary! Get well soon and I've heard how painful kidney stones can be.  

• Options
    Had a great training week that carried into the weekend. Two long rides and a solid brick run today...trying to figure out how to make next week work with my schedule..i have friends in town on their way out to Desert Trip and it's my wife's b-day next weekend so I'll have to get creative. Keep up the good work everybody!

@Gary - hope you're not in too much pain and back to it soon, man!
  • Options

Wow-Gary-I hope you the stone is passing and you aren't in too much pain.  

And PNWers-so sorry to hear about the weather.  At least you can get the work done in the pain cave!

At Clark-I am getting certified in functional medicine and direct a lot of my own show, sometimes getting others to order labs if i think insurance will cover, some tests i have gotten for free when i open my accounts with different labs.  I am happy to discuss this with you anytime.  I just started reading Maffetoni's book- and of course, the health benefits he talks about is everything we talk about and measure in functional medicine.

Training has been proceeding well for me:

Friday in KC before returning home, 60' run followed by 2k swim in indoor pool

Saturday-94 mile ride on beeline.  Gary's inaugural beeline ride! (me thinks he did not drink enough water!)  He got his first taste of epic beeline wind-it approached  2014 conditions.  I paid attention to HR and know starting is about 135 and late average 145-147.  My rear flat was in the first 20 minutes.  Gary's was by our cars at our first water stop. My local friend had hers just before last turnaround at McDowell.  No run

Today i did 80' on the trainer-TR Holt hill-it was a .75 effort overall with 15 min at .85.  It is a drill on balance in the seat which was informative.  I think I've been rolling pelvis a bit forward

followed by 60' run-it was late morning, already hot, and had much higher HR than usual at my slow pace-but, it was  the HR predicted off the bike.    I had to walk to get it down to max aerobic HR.  Last .5mi was z4, felt good but HR to the moon (163)

Now its time for camp week!

• Options
    @DS, Good week of work, well done.
    @JL, Six hour trainer rides suck, way to gut that out!
    @GL, Congrats on your first Beeline ride. Yikes, kidney stone, that sucks. Get well soon.
    @MQ, Solid week. Hopefully you can figure out the logistics of camp week so you get some of that camp magic!
    @BK, Great weekend. I need to do some more research on the lab stuff, so I know what questions to ask, and I'll follow up with you once I know more about what I don't know :-)

Friday I swam 5K for the first time ever! https://www.strava.com/activities/737594487
    Saturday I got in a run and then 90 miles of local rail trail. https://www.strava.com/activities/738636031
    Sunday was ~90 min on the trainer followed by a ~60 minute brick.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/739981261
    https://www.strava.com/activities/740008707

This was my strongest week yet with 12K swim, 142 miles bike and 43 miles run.

And now it's camp week!
  • Options

Good work everyone.  Nice job by everyone to adjust his/her schedule to accommodate "life" while getting the training in.

Betsy - I don't like hearing about the wind in the Beeline.  I did the race with you in 2014 and I'm not looking forward to a repeat of that windy day.

I need some more rest after IMCHOO.  Rode 2 hours on Sat at 166 watts and ran 2 EZ miles.  On Sunday I felt fatigued.  Was planning on a 3 hour ride but cut it short.  Rode for 2 hours at 202 NP and hamstrings were getting really tight.  Then did an EZ  3 mile brick and legs said "Back off dude.  We're not ready yet".  So I'm taking today off completely.  Just going to stretch and foam roll.  Six weeks to IMAZ and I just need to not rush the recovery from IMCHOO.  But it is hard to be patient.  Deep breath!