Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Tim Cronk 2016 IMMD 125.0

This was Ironman #14 , 12 finished  and 2 DNF's.   Last race in the M50-54AG as I move to M55-59 next year .   Finished 3rd in AG , 55th OA , and 6th KQ  . 

I just couldn't get myself to write a race plan for this IM.  This was mostly due to recently losing my friend Jim Soroka.  He was to room with Heather and I @IMMD.  Just because I didn't write a plan, doesn't mean I didn't have one.  Needless to say , you know what my ONE thing was on the day.  Heather bought me a "JIM" metal band to clip on my Road ID which I wear all the time but as a special reminder to have on race day.

My unofficial plan/estimates for the would be full race that I provided to Heather before leaving to IMMD.

Swim- 1:03  +- 1'

T1- 2:30  +-30"  based on assuming transition similar to Eagleman and previous IMMD times

Bike- 5:05  +- 5'  on NP158-162w

T2- 2:30  +-30" again based on Eagleman layout and previous IMMD times

Run- 3:42  +-5'    8:28 pace

Race Week / Weather  - Tuesday we traveled from NH to NY to spend the night with Scott Dinhofer.  Wednesday finished up the drive to MD.  The weather forecast got progressively worse as the days ticked by.  Rain and wind all week caused lots of flooding.  Did a short run/swim on site weds afternoon.  Thurs taper work was done on trainer and TM at the hotel , packet pickup , and team EN dinner.  Friday carb load , bike check, feet up.

The Swim - Cancelled due to strong winds and rough water.  My understanding is they couldnt even get the kayak supporters in.  Personally I think it was a good call.  Still very disappointing as I had logged a lot of swim time this summer. Wasn't expecting a faster than normal swim but expected to come out of the water very fresh and ready for the rest of the race.  We were in line based on estimated swim times for a 6:45am start. At 6:43 they announced a 30min start delay in the hopes for calmer winds.  At 7:15 they cancelled the swim and announced a TT style start to the bike beginning at 7:50. 

T1 - Cancelled - Everyone changed out of wetsuits and into bike gear and stood near their bikes.

The Bike-  They had 2 lines launching the bikes 1 every 3 seconds or so , in order of bib #'s starting low to high.  One thing good about the AWA rankings is you get lower bib #'s.  I was #274 so was fortunate to go off sooner rather than later. The shortened  bike course  measured 99.33 miles by my garmin (however I was expecting 104miles since they announced a 4 mile reduction on each loop 112- 8= 104 right) , was quite nice, smooth roads, free of standing water.  Conditions- WIND , drizzle, occasional rain, temps were comfortable and rode in Kiwami tri-suit with arm warmers, packed a racing rain jacket in my bottle behind the seat for emergency . Riding a new Ventum and using new P1 pedals.  I knew I had banked a couple of matches not having to swim and saving 30 minutes or so on the shortened bike course, I chose to ride a little higher with total numbers coming in at AP163/NP 165 for a  4:30 bike split. Average HR on bike 141.  Had a nice clean bike, passing many of the couple hundred in front of me on the first loop, only got passed by 4-5 guys , second loop continued passing those that started in front of me and then got a steady stream of slingshots from those that started behind me and on the first loop.  For the flatness of the course and the watts I put out I actually would have expected a little bit faster than my average 22mph based on all my race rehearsals with zero legal draft or slingshots.  I think that speaks to the windiness of the course and actually how difficult a flat windy course can be.   Drank approximately 50oz of gatorade , ate 1/2 waffle, and 7 gels for about 1200 cal in 4.5hrs or 288 cal per hour and 12oz per hour.  Should mention I ate a gel and bottle of scratch pre-NONswim and 1/2 waffle pre-bike to keep my fuel topped off thru the delayed start.

https://www.strava.com/activities/731376796

T2- Racked my bike , grabbed the bottle off the back that had my rain jacket in it, long run on pavement to the run bags, while running I took arm warmers , helmet , and glasses off, and got the jacket out of the bottle,  In tent socks shoes on, visor on, bike gear in bag, racebelt, watch, jacket in hands, tied off bag, carried outside the tent and put into a pile.... NOTE: ZERO help from volunteers in T2 - nobody took my bike, ok someone handed me the bag, but no-one in the tent helped take stuff out or put it back in and the tent was empty, I actually handed the bag to a volunteer and asked them to tie it off and take care of it for me and they said i cant do that you have to do it yourself.

The Run- Again knowing I had banked those matches I planned on pushing the run a bit.  Settling in with race belt, watch , and jacket wrapped around my waist I started watch a bit late. Didnt take long to realize I would not need the jacket and gave it to Heather as soon as I saw her by the first corner, stopped for kiss.  Then went to work.  The first guy in my AG to pass me was almost right out of transition and moving very good, I said hey dont tell me you can run too?  He didnt feel like talking and grunted/mumbled something and kept moving.  I let him go. I settled into a very aggressive 8:05 ish pace but was feeling pretty good.  This was a "what I think I need to run to compete pace" vs. "what I should run pace based on training pace"... But at some point when RACING we need to go past what we "know" we can do in order to find out what we are really capable of...  I had run this kind of pace before on one IMFL 3 years ago but it was more of a "I just feel so good I can run any slower pace" .... Next guy to pass me in my AG was around mile 2, very nice and friendly guy, he pulls up and says hey we need to work together to catch that guy ahead of us, we chatted on and off and ran together on and off from 2-20miles, I only passed him a couple times when he stopped for cramps, most of the time behind him , and he did slowly pull away after mile 20.... The course is 2.5 laps , first lap was dry, second lap had a couple areas that got flooded up to mid calf in a couple parts and you had to go thru each section twice each lap.  Held very low 8 min miles until mile 19 and then the wheels came off, hung on the best I could and logged a few high 8min miles but kept them all under 9's.  Ran a 3:36  8:17 pace for my second best IM Marathon after that magical 3:33 at IMFL 3 years ago.  Stopped to kiss Heather many times on the 2.5 lap course, even got to kiss Scott Dinhofer who had come down from NY with Jill to cheer on the EN'ers , lots of other EN mojo provided by Danielle , EN racers , EN spouses and families, and my IM mentor Al T.... Very happy the results and effort.  Course measured a little short at just under 26 miles but I did start my watch late.. Never thought a 3:36 was going to be possible.  Nutrition was total 4 gels in a flask,  gatorade every mile except when I took gel with water, went to coke/redbull at mile 20, 22.... nothing miles 23-26...About 20oz fluid per hour and 250 cal per hour...

https://www.strava.com/activities/731359948

Post Race Finishline-  Moving for in this case 8hrs (but usually much longer) and staying so mentally strong and focussed for so long, I find as soon I cross the finish line and its over that I am truly in a weakened emotional state. I broke down a little on my first KQ and then again on my first IM win.... On this race I really missed my friend , broke down pretty good, and had a tough few minutes after the finish .

The RACE thoughts-  This was the worst run IM I have ever done.  Its a great venue but poorly executed.  Logistically difficult, poorly organized, short staffed and under trained staffed.  Would not recommend this race. My comments have absolutely nothing to do with the weather which is simply the luck of the draw and will give them kudo's for adapting to the weather, changing the bike and cancelling the swim... Of course Sunday and Monday were picture perfect race days.  So I wont be back, which is unfortunate because I really love the actual course of all three disciplines.

Whats Next-  Immediately sherpa duties for Heather at IMLOU , cheer for EN'ers,  little easy downtime thru Oct, UMFL training starts in Nov for the mid FEB race, then its onto IMLP and KONA next year

Questions comment criticism's from any and all are very welcomed.  Details of training, nutrition, taper, IMMD race specifics ??? anything ???

Comments

• Options
    Tim - it's gotta be tough to race with such a heavy heart, kudos for getting through it. Congratulations on a great race and the KQ!

Looking at the bike laps, you did a nice job of settling down after HR hit 150 for laps 5 and 6.

What was your approach to the last few bike miles ... reduce power, more coasting, higher cadence? You had a great transition into a fast early run speed!
  • Options
    @Paul- I should have noted that I do not monitor HR at all..... Just collect the data to look at later... AVG HR for the bike was 141, AVG HR for the run was 146. I usually shut the bike down somewhere in the last 5 miles , definitely reducing power, drinking and eating in prep for the run, any coasting is just to pee or get my feet out of the shoes , no focus on HR or cadence just an overall reduction in effort for a bit of recovery and mental prep for T2. See you thursday night at the HRC Louisville!
  • Options

@ Tim...Congrats my friend!   Well done on a crazy day and with an extra heavy heart to carry around that course.  Don't know how you did it. 

Your report shows typical Cronk ninja execution...just like you've done numerous times before.  I've got no advice or suggestions for improvement.  Rest up and best of luck to Heather at IMLOU.  I'll be tracking her.   

• Options

Tim congrats on the KQ.  I wish I was able to make the race and meet you and other ENers but I made the smart decision for my health and pulled out the day before the race.  Since we live so close and with Friday check in I waited til last minute but decided to stay home in VA.  I truly appreciate you sharing all your training along the way.  I learn form your posts and feel like I know you even though we never met.  Good luck to Heather and my prayers go out to you, your friend and his family.  Cheers. 

• Options
    Tim, way to push through horrible race conditions and definitely less-than-ideal personal conditions!
  • Options

Tim, I am sorry for the loss of your friend and how you had to carry that into your race day.  

Veteran experience really shows in the way you quickly adapted your race strategy and execution to the last minute, material changes made on the course.

Banking matches with a 246 TSS ride then upping your game to burn those matches banked on the run and realizing and IM marathon PR is just damn smart!

Please tell Heather I said good luck at IMLV!

Thanks for always leading!

SS

• Options
    Tim, sorry again for your loss, I had the feeling this would be YOUR thing when you announced his death on the dashboard.

I've followed you closesly since your DNF last year and injury and its been impressive how you came back to that level of fitness to be able to grab another KQ! You are a great example of discipline to this team!

Grats again on your finish... arent you coming to IMAZ ???
  • Options

@TC,

Congrats on another great race in a long line of great races, only rarely interrupted by an occasional off race.  I'm still bummed about Jim, and I didn't even know him.  So, I hope you feel like you honored him a bit by laying it all out there.

When planning for 2015 started last year, this was my first race, then Lou, then NC.  I'm living proof that the WTC transfer process works.  But, in hindsight, I'm so glad I didn't do MD and I will appreciate how fortunate I'll be if I get to race 140.6 in NC.  I know you worked really hard on your swim, and I was pretty psyched to see what you could do.  You're a complete triathlete, so I suspect you would have found yourself a bit higher on the OA finisher list had the race been 15 miles longer.

Finally . . . the run.  You and I have discussed this a few times, and I still remember you starting that IMFL '13 run at what looked like a reckless pace bordering on foolish.  But those early miles at 8:00 pace, +/- 15 seconds, never stopped and you just held that pace all the way to the finish.  You didn't monitor HR then, so who knows what your early HR looked like, but it was probably pretty elevated.  Maybe you had slightly better bike fitness then?  Or were just 3 years younger?  At MD, you basically "lost" 3.5 minutes in those 7 miles between 19 and 26 in the form of about 30 seconds slower per mile.  And your HR in the first 6 miles was definitely above the 140 or so you held the last hour of the bike.  Had you taken the first 6 miles out at 30 seconds slower per mile, you would have given up the same 3 or so minutes.  Probably a wash.  More than one way to skin a cat, I guess.  Had you dropped to 10- or 11-min pace at Mile 19, then I'd say you definitely went out too hard.  But at our age (really, any age), it's hard to find error in a 3:36.  I'm definitely going to do my best to channel some of that Inner Cronk on the run in 18 days.

Send Heather my best wishes for Louisville.  I know she has also worked on her swim, so it'll be nice to see at least one person in your household show off the new water speed.  Already looking forward to LP next year.

MR

• Options
    How did the ventum change anything? You previously said it was heavier than your last mount - could that account for your slight slower split?
  • Options
    Tim, great job getting in done in those conditions and the emotions that come with the loss of a dear friend.
  • Options

Way to do it for Jim, Tim. I'm sure he was looking down with thumbs up! Big congrats on the KQ! Sympathies to the 55-59 boys! Please give Heather a hug and tell her we'll be following!! 

• Options
    Everyone around here knows you always hit the fastball out of the park... but it doesn't look like you give up anything with the curve ball either. Way to handle all the noise and emotion and execute your race.

• Options
    @EE- thanks see ya thursday night
    @Turby- Love you guys.... Go Carol... Will be watching as long as I can keep my IMLOU athlete awake LOL...
    @JE, SS, Scott, - thank you so much for the kind words
    @DS- Not on that flat course...But I do have many rides (similar distance and watts) on the FELT that were just as fast or faster with more elevation...I really blame the wind... Very nice , comfy ride...I rode it very smoothly and stayed aero 99% of the time.... More worried about IMLP... I'm still saying its a heavy bike...

@MR- Thank you for such well thought out analyzing and comments. You have a way of explaining things ... Yeah I looked up the top guys past swims and I easily would have had 2nd place and closed the gap to 1st a little bit. 4th place still woulda blown up , and no-one else woulda been a factor. In fact anyone who is interested in "How not to execute and IM" look up the 4th place guy in M50-54. He outbiked me by 15 minutes , He outran me until mile 15 probably adding another 8 minutes to his lead, and then he gave it all back to me and finished 2 minutes behind me all in the last 11 miles.... Not that I believe it, I've always liked that saying "The only pace is a suicide pace and today is a good day to die". I'm not a big believer in the negative split, to me it always leaves doubt that we may have left a little on the table, My perfect race is choosing the right pace for that day that would allow just a small fade in the last few miles and have the wheels come completely off in the last mile right before the finish... Anyone willing to attempt such a foolish race strategy ought make sure of two things. 1. Have a little experience and build into that slowly over a few races at that distance. 2. be absolutely 100% sure you can live with the outcome no matter what , ranging from a trip to medical, DNF, or maybe just Winning. I sure hope you get to race NC MR. Usually the week after a hurricane the weather is really nice, just hope the course isnt damaged.

@Bruce and Francis - Oh yeah I'm gonna be at IMAZ to kick you guys in the A$$ if I see you walking :-)

@DB- bummer you missed all the rain and wind... sorry we missed you at IMMD
  • Options
    congrats!! Inspirational as always...Way to deal with the conditions of the day and honor your friend's memory. I was waiting to see your new "swim" speed..I guess I'll wait a bit more... Good luck to Heather.
    PS: I love the quote!
    PS2: So u kissed Scott or Scott kissed u? hum....U might need to stay away from JW from now on... image
  • Options
    @David, I kissed Scott. It was the least I could do since he drove 4 hrs from NY just to cheer on the team.
  • Options
    @Dave R - glad you picked up on the JW thing... I already told Tim not to be public with that else JW may get jealous!!! The kiss from Tim totally took me by surprise, thankfully there was no tongue(jill & heather were standing right there for G-d's sake)... ok.. enough of that!

I was surprised to hear the RD was hoping for the wind to die down. The idea "that it often dies down around here after sunrise" is a joke, the tail end of a 4 day storm related wind is different than the sunrise/ sunset gradient winds that build/die daily... amateur mistake to not know that).. I feel for them, the RD really wants to make this race work, but your comments on the transition help, etc.. combined with the weather thing ring loudly. ( I went out running on the course in the early AM and the wind was fierce...)

On course length, during Al camp this year, I was measuring with a rear wheel garmin speed sensor on the hub, others were using GPS only, the GPS readings were always 3-4% shorter than my speed sensor measurement, wondering if the course was actually 104 as they said it would be?

I know you are out there to win every time you toe the line, great job on a psychologically tough day, you always looked strong on the run and emotions surrounding Jim must have been unreal. Glad I could be there to support you on this day...
  • Options
    Tim, as everyone has said already, congrats on persevering on a very challenging weather day, and for bringing Jim with you. I always learn so much from your comments and reports here in the haus. Thank you for always sharing it all...but next time I don't know if the SD kiss should be out there lol! image
  • Options
    What a wild ride of a year for you, Tim. Lots of ups and downs both mentally and physically. I admire your laser focus and determination - aside from your fitness, these appear what carries you. Congrats on a successful day after having all that ^^stuff^^ thrown your way. I was pulling for you from afar! I'm sure you've made your dear friend very proud....
  • Options

Tim, formal congratulations on a well executed race. Meaning, you managed the disruptions as if they were gnats, you upticked your bike plan on the fly, you kept your fluid intake on the bike in check given the shorter course and the sunless, cool and rainy day, you started racing on the run and kept it right on the edge needed to be competitive thru to the finish. And, you did all this with a big emotional load carrying Jim's memory with you.

On the run, each time I saw you, you seemed to combine a bit of a smile with a strong overlay of determination - as if you were having fun by working so hard. I remember the last time I went thru the lake by transition, I past my AG leader going the other way, We both shrugged, smiled, and high fived each other as we slopped thru. The conditions did make things a bit more interesting.

Good luck to Heather this weekend, and build your mojo slowly for next year @ Kona.

Two comments meant for the wider audience:

• I concur with Tim's comments on the quality of this race. The actual courses are great; good road surface, potentially a strong swim venue, and an interesting run mostly through residential streets along the shore, with a bit of downtown on each lap. BUT...after three years, you'd think they would have learned that what had worked for 200 competitors in ChesepeakeMan can not be simply scaled up to 2000 for a WTC race. Parking, back up plans, logistics between transition and finish, number and quality of volunteers - all were D- @ best. The folks running this thing don't have a clue, and they obviously get little oversight or help from Big Brother.
    • Note that both Tim and I were operating on the bike on 12 oz fluid/hour, with strong evidence that that was enough hydration. It is always necessary to be prepared to modify nutrition plans given the conditions on the day. What is needed on a 66F, cloudy, rainy day is usually (for me) a LOT less than what might be necessary in the sun @ 80F. Trying to rely totally on fluid based calories can be a problem if you end up not needing all that fluid. I see people planning to take in 1-2 bottles of GE per hour, and assuming that's where they will get their calories. What do you do if you can only put down 1/2 bottle of GE/hour? (Or whatever it is you are drinking).

• Options
    Tim
    Congratulations on the AG place and KQ! Great stuff. I enjoy reading your race reports because you're an awesome competitor, "...when RACING we need to go past what we "know" we can do in order to find out what we are really capable of." That's so true. With 3 IMs under my belt, I haven't gotten to that point yet, but that's what I do when racing the 5 K to Marathon. I wouldn't say the wheels came off going from low 8' miles to high 8' miles...maybe only one wheel came. That was a well executed run.
    Well done! Good luck to Heather this weekend.
  • Options
    Nice tim. Congrats.

Your friend got a mention in my local paper.

Best to heather at kentucky.

Still hoping for a kona meeting some day. But will do this one today first.

Bummer about the poor race quality. May still do it sometime as it is close to family.

Maybe see you in az.

Best, robin

• Options
    Tim, I know what it's like to race with a heavy heart, and though we've not met in person (and I've been less active on forums this year than some), I feel like I know you. You're a great example to everyone, not for being fast...though that's what gets everyone's eye... but for being dedicated. Enjoy the afterglow and be ready to go on to the next challenge.
  • Options
    Hey Tim - super race as usual. Sounded an awful lot like IMFL 2014 although we didn't have to run through standing water. Really, how many people KQ at the top of the 50-54 age group? I'm glad that I'm moving up the same time you are! As the young guy next year, I think you've got a real shot at the Kona podium. That would be awesome. Ultraman will be the base of a great season...as long as you don't hurt yourself in the process...capiche?
  • Options
    Hey Tim! Congratulations on IMMD and your KQ race:-) I was watching you all day and Heather was so good with the updates too! I thought of Jim often and know that he was with you that day. I was super bummed about the swim because I know how many miles you've been swimming and you would have just killed it in Maryland. Well, you killed it anyway:-) What a crazy day watching the videos of the waters rising and people sloshing through all of that. Geez. Love to you and Heather and maybe we'll see you out in AZ sometime this winter:-) And a big congrats to Heather on her race, too! xo