Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

2016 IM Florida- Week 17- 4 Keys of Execution

#EN4KEYS WEEK 17

HEY TEAM!!! Let's chime in so we can keep them mojo alive!! How was week 16??? And Happy Columbus Day!!

Well Florida Crew we are 4 weeks out from race week and there are 4 Keys of Racing within EN. What sets EN athletes drastically apart from other athletes is the ability to know to race. You're putting in the training….. Recording your information…..sometimes discussing with the group (lets do more of that team!) but as you wind down your training in the next couple weeks you need to put your head in a space to have the 4Keys down pat. Even if you have been with EN for awhile, there is always something to learn or something you can teach to help someone else's race experience.

Not to reinvent the wheel here is a mixture of coaches perspective and a couple other race captains:

X - Race day is about execution NOT fitness

Theme for this week is important.  Start visualizing your upcoming RR2 and Race Day in terms of simply Executing your Fitness:

The majority of athletes on race day are fitness-focused (look at my T-shirt, look at my abs/veins/etc, look at how fast I can go in the first hour of the bike, etc.). They think of race day as the application of their fitness to the course, the distance. They are wrong. Race day is about the application of sound execution skills to a long day. Your fitness is just along for the ride. Through our observation of many, many races we can tell you that fully 90% of athletes out there do not understand this and do not know how to execute properly. For the Endurance Nation athlete then, race day is largely an exercise is doing the opposite of what everyone else is doing!

Easy to read/comprehend the above, difficult to actually apply on race day, when you feel rested, invincible with adrenaline and the best you have felt during the entire training cycle.  So important to start thinking and scripting this concept now.

Good Job team.... keep chipping away, two more weeks left of fitness

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Laura!
    Hi Stephanie...excited to be here with everyone!
    I'm moving my long run from Thursday to Sunday. Going to run the Detroit Free Press Half Maration with my son,his girlfriend and my husband. Should be a great day! What about you all?
  • Options
    big run week for me. looking to wind up with 48mi running in total. 24 down. 6 more today then 3hr long run Saturday. The weather has cooled temporarily in south texas which makes all of this much much easier.
    Hope that everyone is feeling good.
  • Options
    I got my long run in yesterday...ugh. I was a little too fast early and a little too slow late but happy overall. I'm feeling shortchanged by the minimal change in TSB on trainingpeaks overnight, my body says otherwise.

Everybody keep pushing, the end is in sight!
  • Options
         Have hit all the workouts so far this week, including the RR run yesterday. A little slow and faded some near the end, but feeling a lot of cumulative fatigue and got it done. Like Scott said- the end is in sight, looking forward to the taper.
  • Options
    Great job gang!!

I'm feeling much much better after a few days off. Flipping my long ride & run around due to family schedule this weekend. I've started running in Altras (past 3 weeks) and have had great success for my short runs. Anyway run in Altras for longer runs and have feedback? The farthest I've gone in them is 13. Not sure if I should just go ahead and do the full in them. I'm definitely not blistering so much so that's a positive.

Anyway! Y'all have a super weekend. Hope our southeast coast folks are out of harms way and drying out. I'm off to print out my final 3 weeks schedule. ??
  • Options
    Biggest run week ever is done! 49miles. 18 today and then a bunch of 3's and 6's.
  • Options
    aaaand as one would expect at the tail end of my biggest run week ever, my sunday trainer session was weak. Still solid week of training. One more biggie then time to scale back.
    Work stress coming up too. Big meeting tuesday morning that I look forward to having in my rear view mirror. Then on friday my dad is coming to work for me. I have no idea what I was thinking on that one...
  • Options

My weekend bike sessions were done on the trainer. Like Jimmy A., after the RR run my power was a little low. It was still some good training stress on the legs.

Sat. 4 hrs on the trainer and a 30' run.   Sun. was 3 hrs on the trainer.

Definitely going to get outside for the final RR on Sat., and hopefully some more outside bike time on Sun.

• Options
    @Stephanie - Glad to hear you are on the mend! I'm no help on your Altra question. I've got a new pair of Hokas that I've gotten 4 runs (including Thursday's long run) in that I'm debating wearing vs. my old favorites.

@Jimmy - Congrats on the big mileage!

@Mark - Right there with you. All my bike time has been on the trainer.

I had to short yesterday's ride by 1 hour due to scheduling issues in the afternoon. After 1:35 today I spent an hour mentally trying to allow myself to quit early today. The thought of the rest of the team working hard (and taking a few quick breaks) got me over the hump to finish the 3:30 workout.
  • Options

Jimmy, Wow! lots of miles congrats.

Scott:Sounds like you are ready.

Stephanie: Super Woman!

Mark: hope you can do your RR outside!