Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Eric Hudson Official Coach Thread

edited November 16, 2017 3:19PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Eric - 

Here is the Welcome Page so you can read about acronyms and other stuff.

We have a Swim eBook, and basic swim resources in Resources / Wiki / Swimming page here. The PDF you need is the first bullet link at the top. This winter you should plan on swimming 2x a week!

I know you were also looking for some strength stuff…our basic resources are here. If you want to hit the gym you can do that, just let me know what you plan to do in your reply here. 

Regarding Triple Peach…it's fine to do...it will be the kick off to your OutSeason® training I believe...so you'll just be a bit tired that next week. What will you do, 13.1 or 10 miler?

Looking forward to this year!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    I will review the resources in this thread. Also, I plan on doing the half marathon distance Thanksgiving morning. For me, it's just a fun run and I'm not trying to PR anything. I've done it the last six years and it's more of a tradition.
  • Options
    Thanks and it is totally fine to run the race on Thanksgiving. If anything, it's a good opportunity to maybe take a look at our race pacing strategy. This is a low-pressure way to begin thinking about the proper allocation of effort for maximum results. Even though you aren't a fittest, and are not running for personal best, you can still run smart have a good day. Here is a link to our resources: http://bit.ly/1MjXTCy

Let's keep it rolling as you get started!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    I just finished completing the FTP test on Trainer Road and I wanted to know know if I put in the entire workout data or just the 20 minutes in the calculator.
  • Options
    Eric, just the 20 minutes! For short questions like these you can just list it on the Dashboard (main page when you log in) as someone will answer you in minutes! Congrats on getting the test done!
  • Options

@eric hudson

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. (Strava Training Log)

This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

I had to recover from my blood clot but I have remained active. Also, I was cleared to start training late September and I did 2 Sprints. Also, I had my previous OutSeason workouts in my Garmin and I am on week 4 of the 2017 Outseason. Overall, I feel like I am in pretty good shape. Also, I have been swimming at least 1600m (one with drills) at least 2 times a week. 

Your Races

• 70.3® Chattanooga  (2018-05-20)
    • Ironman Chattanooga (2018-09-30)

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/16/2017 
    • On 10/30/2017 Load the -- OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 2/4/2018
    • On 2/5/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 2/18/2018
    • On 2/19/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 5/20/2018
    • On 5/21/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 6/17/2018
    • On 6/18/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 7/29/2018
    • On 7/9/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 9/30/2018
    • On 10/1/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/28/2018
    • On 10/29/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/25/2018

Coach Notes

Still want you to focus on Run Consistency vs intensity. Ease into the "harder" runs and really honor that 8mile cap through mid-december please!

Vasa Ressources are coming soon, so please stay tuned!

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

• Options
    edited March 6, 2018 6:02PM
    @Coach Patrick

This plan is the one that loads up and not the plan that you have listed. Which plan do you want me to load up for the half intermediate? The one you recommended is : On 2/19/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 5/20/2018

Current Plan: 2018 EN*HALF, Minimalist (All Levels), 20 weeks

• Options
     Sorry for that, I rename the training plans this year since we wrote them in a different manner.

Each plan has workouts for all levels already baked in. So you could do the half plan and use the “L2“ workouts to have an intermediate training effect. I swear if the minimalist plan is a time-saving plan giving you all the beef and of life. That is 100% up to you! I hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2018 6:19PM
    @Coach Patrick  Maybe this make sense to you but I do not see a L2 Half training plan for 2018. I see the 2018, EN*HALF, Minimalist (all levels), 20 weeks. Also, the 2017 EN*Half, Minimalist, 12 weeks and Intermediate, 2017 EN*Half, Intermediate 12 weeks. From what I can see, not one of these plans has L2 like I saw in the outseason. 

Since I did the RF outseason,  I'm supposed to be on a 12 Half week plan. Can you please let me know which 12 week intermediate plan or plan to download because I am confused and I need to get my training dates in my calendar because I travel a lot. 

I forgot to mention, I am doing Chattanooga 70.3 in May. 

Thanks, 

Eric 

• Options
    Eric - No worries! There is only one training plan now… That one PLAN has workouts for each ability level.

So if you pick up the half minilalist plan for 2018  and look at the workouts on each day, you will see guidance in the main set for L1, L2, or L3.

In other words, instead of cooking ability levels when you choose your plan, you pick your ability level each day as you execute the plan. This allows you to be different ability levels by discipline and also to change your ability level as you get fitter across the season without having to change your training plan.

So I think you should be all set right now, maybe you just need to look a little Closer of those workouts.

I am aware that you are doing Chattanooga it is part of the roadmap listed above!

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick  I am doing the 2018 Half intermediate and this Saturday (week 10)  it says to do a 40 min run (Brick) and then a 210 min ride. Do I do the run before or after because its not clear. During week 10, you had to do it before in the coaching notes. 

Thanks - Eric 
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2018 12:52PM
     I do you are you do all of these runs before your rides except for the last 2 - 3 weeks when we get more race-specific! 
  • Options
    I think this says before each ride until 2-3 weeks before my event. Is that correct?

Eric
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2018 5:56PM
    I hope all is well,

@Coach Patrick

I just completed Chattanooga 70.3 last week and I wanted to follow up with you to discuss some observations and training. Also, I have scheduled a meeting with you this Thursday at 2pm ET. 

In particular, I lose a lot of weight (over 7lbs) and I believe that is accelerating my cramping issues on the run. I did fine on the run, felt strong on the bike, executed my hydration and nutrition plan and cramped after mile 2 on the run. 

Additionally, I wanted to discuss that I added IM Florida and I need that included in my yearly training plan as well after Chattanooga full in September. 

• Options

Great call today...thanks for your time. It's better to get this stuff out on the phone....so...

1. Sweat Test is critical. Weight pre/post exercise in same state (au natural!) and subtracting fluids consumed is key. Dehydration is a game changer, ending it just takes being focused for a good session!!!  Nutrition

2. Time to dial in the Gatorade Endurance so you are used to what is on the course. Order it now so you have it sooner rather than later!

3. You rode too hard in the first hour on the bike. Your HR is up and flat...then it starts to get bump and peak/fall (but a downward trend). You AVG'd 146 but the first hour was too hot on the way out on the false flat....especially compared to your training rides. 

Let me know how the Sweat Test goes!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach

Got it and I didn’t think I pushed it the first hour and I purposely tried to dial it back. I remember from the podcast saying it was a false flat.

Also, can you please let me know which IM plan to load up because I have a lot of travel coming up and I want to lock in my major training weekends.

Thanks

Eric

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options
    That’s one of the reasons why we use heart rate so that we can cross check our perceived exertion with what our bodies experiencing. Not so much a critique as it is a mental note for you to check in on that a couple times in the first hour.  

You'll want to do the 2018 Minimalist Full plan!  Let me know if you need help adjusting training weeks. 

• Options
    edited December 11, 2018 2:34AM

@Eric Hudson -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Congrats again on IMCOZ. Would really like your 2019 to be the year we drop a 14:XX handle on your IM balance sheet. 🤣 I have you doing Run Durability Program right now as you get back into it, but you can go notes with the bike vs run right now. Runs should be short and sweet.

Then in Jan you pick up the OS plan. Our goal for 2019 should be to make sure we are ready to crush the bike. Really want you to be in a place where you are not only a bit faster on the bike, but it's easier so you can run a sub 6 marathon!

YOU IN?!?!

Your Races

• Ironman Texas (4/27/2019)
    • Ironman Boulder (2019-06-16) #IMBoulder_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/03/2018
    • On 12/10/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/06/2019
    • On 1/7/2019 Load the -- OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 3/18/2019 Load the EN*Full RUN Focused to end on 4/27/2019
    • On 4/28/2019 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 5/25/2019
    • On 05/12/2019 Load the EN*Full Bike Focused to end on 6/9/2019
    • On 6/10/2019 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 7/7/2019

Your Notes

I completed Ironman Chattanooga 70.3, Lake Logan 70.3, Chattanooga 140.6 and Cozumel 140.6 a week ago. As of now, I am in good fitness and no injuries. Great! - I just finished Cozumel 140.6 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    I’m doing IMTX in April. I thought I put it the schedule for next year. I put Texas as my B race and Boulder as my A race.

Please advise?

Eric

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

Sorry man, I didn’t get it in the survey. I will fix this shortly.

• Options
    Thanks and no problem

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

@Eric Hudson - DONE, FINALLY! Sorry bro. So, you have the Run Durability Program right now through the new year, then into the OutSeason Plan for a brief spurt before the IM volume. Note, I loaded the RDP plan in there for you today.

I recommend you "overlay" the swims WKOs into your OS, as well as the functional strength.

There's some wizardry required to get you just the right dose of OS workouts before the IM stuff...so let me know if you need help doing that on Final Surge.

Best,

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks and looks like the run plan goes to Jan 7th. What days do you want me to input the OS for and then the IM Start date?

• Options

January 7 is the start of the Outseason. I see you have two threads here, which is what is confusing me. I will consolidate them later today.

• Options
    Thanks and how long for the outseason? Basically, what day do you want me to end the outseason and start for IMTX?

I do a lot of traveling and I wanted to make sure I can arrange me schedule for my long training weekends and weeks of training like race sims.

Thanks,

Eric

Sent from my iPad
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Here are your dates for the OS and the IM transition...I hope those help. If you want to put the work dates in here for me to work with, let me know.

Right now I can see you've been pretty infrequent with your biking this month. A large part of getting you better will be dedicating time to your bike, sometimes with a bit of over distance work as well. Don't be afraid to start by adding tom easy recovery spins on Mondays or Fridays.

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/18/2018
    • On 1/7/2019  Load the  -- OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 3/18/2019 Load the    EN*Full to end on 4/27/2019
    • On 4/28/2019 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 5/25/2019

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Ps I closed that other, older thread.

This discussion has been closed.