Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

2016 IM Florida Week 18- It's getting real!

#EN4Keys

/ THE LINE WEEK 18

Love this group and your kind supportive words!! That is the GOLD of this team!!!! LOVE it!! Now tt's getting real.  

Ok team- You ARE READY!!! This is seriously one of my favorite posts.....it is SO IMPORTANT!!!! 

Prepare your mental game. In so doing, remember there will be cumulative fatigue building throughout race day.  So important to follow your plan, race your race and prepare for THE LINE.  

EVERYTHING before The Line is simply about creating conditions for success for when the Line comes to you.

1. A successful race = a good run. There is no such thing as a good bike followed by bad run, period. In our world, if you showed up with solid run fitness, had a "good" bike and a poor run, we will ALWAYS assume you messed up your bike pacing unless you are missing a limb or are in the ICU with an intestinal parasite.

2. If you think you can ride faster than we're telling you, prove it by running well off the bike first (preferably not attempted for the first time on race day!).

3. Ride your "should" bike split vs your "could" bike split. YourCould split is what you tell Timmy you could ride on a good day, when you're out together for your Saturday ride. If you say you "could ride a 5:50," your Should split is likely 6:00 and defined as the bike split that yields a good run (see #1 above).

4. Don't be a Caboose, be an Engine! Ironman in general, but especially the bike leg, is an exercise in consistency. You don't need straight-A's to win your day, you only have to show up with your C game to be at the head of the class. If you find yourself doing the opposite of everyone else, you're doing the right thing. Lots of people passing you in the first 40 miles of the bike? Everyone else sprinting out of T2? These folks are making your race day easier by showing you what not to do; it's up to you to resist the urge to join in!

5. Think you made the mistake of riding too easy? You now have 26 miles to fix that mistake. Make the mistake of riding too hard? That mistake now has 26 miles to express itself, to the tune of X miles at 17-18' walking pace vs X miles at 8-10' running pace. Do the math. How is that nice bike split going to look as you are walking/shuffling the last 10 miles of the run adding another hour and forty minutes to your overall finish time?

**ADMIN ALERT**

* TEAM DINNER: There will not be an official team dinner. HOWEVER- I have a spreadsheet HERE https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qhs2uaEoTQcnwlzOWNz2vdYcDQpy0RVwkLuwm36gcYs/edit#gid=0

A suggested location is : Bonefish Grill

So if you sign up I will make the reservation in advance. 

I also encourage you to use GroupMe which will begin on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of race week.

*** If there are any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. You're almost their rock star EN'rs can't wait to watch you unleash on the Florida course*

Comments

• Options
    Thanks, Laura! ????????????
  • Options
    thx laura!
    I really think that there is only one thing that I need to focus on in order to do my best. There is only one thing that wont seem natural in the moment that will take force of will to make happen:
    Running the first 3mi with my heart rate under 140bpm.
    I really think that if I can force myself to do that everything else will fall in to place for me. I'm comfortable with my nutrition. I am comfortable enough with my pacing once the run has had a chance to establish itself.
    Florida 2015 was a PR for me. The swim was not wetsuit legal and it was slow. The bike course is fast and I was happy with how I managed my effort. I ran a 10:16 paced marathon which was a run PR but I got there by going out the first few miles in the mid 9's and crawling back the last few miles north of 11. And my heart rate slowly tailed off over the 4:29 as I just couldn't maintain the effort.
    The temps will get cooler as the sun goes down which is all the more reason for me to be in a position to make hay after the sun is done shining.

Training wise this will be a big week for me. planned that way anyway. Scary work meeting tomorrow and my dad's first day is Friday (I wont be here - skipping out for a RR!) but I will be happy to have this week in the rear view mirror for sure.

My step dad got some bad news. He has a stress fracture in his heel. This will be his first full. He is going to give it a go anyway. He has a strong swim bike and just wants to finish. He should be able to walk the 26.2 and till make the time cutoff.

Good luck all. Getting closer now.
  • Options
        Hey Laura, Where can I update my # for the GroupMe?
  • Options

Hey Mark! Message me your number and I'll make sure we have it right 

• Options
    Ok. Decent volume for this last big week but bike is still not where I think that it should be. I'm having lower back problems which makes putting the time in uncomfortable. But I'm happy with the swim work and I am running ok. So this one might just be about making sure that I get to the starting corral early enough to get with the hour ten folks, then biking to heart rate and expecting that if it hurts I will have to sit up more than usual. Once I hand my bike off I should feel good between my ears. And if it takes an hour for my back to loosen up then that will help me pace correctly anyway.
    Who knows. I went in to IMTX this year feeling really confident. Good build off of a PR at IMFL last year and the race really didn't go well for me. Maybe he breaks in training this time will mean that I am more rested.
    For his next week I will practice transitions and run a little off of every bike. Time to start making lists too!
  • Options

Training week went well, had to switch Tues. and Thurs. runs. Sat. RR done in 20-30 mph wind w/ 40 mph gusts-tough. Got 3 more hrs. on the bike today, breezy but not like yesterday. At one point, I had to pedal to go downhill. This weekend bike rides using latex tubes for the first time. To windy to really feel the effect, but had no problems. I'll take any free speed! Had a 20 hr training week, looking forward to taper, this time I'm going to try not to gain 5 lbs before Nov. 5.

• Options
    Where are the links for the team dinner and group me?
  • Options

Hi Paul!

Group me will start on Wednesday. The team dinner form is linked at the bottom of this weeks post. Check it out!

http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/22066/Default.aspx