Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IMAZ 2016 Training Wk 10/24 - 10/30 The 4 Keys

2»

Comments

• Options

Good work everyone..  Hang in there.  Almost to taper.

I swam yesterday after work.  3300 yards with 2x 300 with paddles, 4 x 500 at 1:45-1:48/100 pace.  Finished with 20 x 25 sprints @ :23-24 leaving every :30.  These weren't all out sprints, just hard and the goal was to maintain the split time for all 20.  OUCH.  The last 5 really hurt.

Computrainer ride this am with 6 x1' at 270W (100%IF) and 4 x 2' at 270 W.  Workout called for intervals at 120% IF but I backed it down since I'm doing my long run tonight after work.  Didn't want to do it on completely trashed legs.

• Options
    I'm in, 20.5 miles in 2:58. Felt fine, but not good enough to raise the pace near the end. Feet up, beer up. Hope you are do well. Cheers
  • Options
    @DS - Boom! Doing the work while on vacation.

Long bike for me today (this evening) since I'm pushing my long run to Sunday in hopes of actually getting it done. We'll see. I'm mostly walking without pain right now, so I'm going to try a short run tomorrow and see what happens. Fingers crossed. My road rash is healing nicely, although the Tagaderm bandage on my elbow broke open while I was typing this, so I may have just ruined a dress shirt...

The end is in sight. Double down and make yourself proud.
  • Options
    @DS - beast !! great job on doing it while on vacation ! hope you didnt burn too much SUA =)

@CM - I really you can get back on running, this RR is IMO a good run to boost confidence.

Tomorrow is a 4h30-5hrs trainer ride followed by a 50' run and will do a swim during the kids swim class.

We are almost done.. stay healthy, safe and rest well to be well prepared for next week!
  • Options
    @DS the TSS on bikini watching is high, so that counts as two workouts. I like the feet up beer up, do you think that I should add that to my workout or is that only in the advanced plan?
    @CM You have lots of fitness stored up, so make sure you are healed up.
    @FP I'm excited for your race, you have the IM MOJO working.
    @BT Sounds like everything is coming back around for you.
    @BK I got the wheel cover put on last night, thanks and see you on Saturday for the Beeline rise. I wonder if MQ is going out there too. I need to sign up for Splash n Dash in a couple of weeks.

I completed my long run this morning. 15 miles, which is definitely a LONG run for me. Forgot the nutrition on my first refuel stop and that cost me in the end. Guess that why its RR. I can't believe its only a few weeks away.

Good to see a few new names pop up this week.
  • Options
    DS-keep struggling through the first world problems, so tough. Excellent long run!

CM-pulling for you to have a good run Sunday. Agree with GL, you have the fitness stored up

FP/BT-you two keep amazing-strong work!

GL-can't wait to see how you like the wheelbuilder disc. I feel certain we are going to have 'mild winds', 5-7mph so you should handle it fine. And, don't be so hard on yourself for the slow comeback-two surgeries in a week is a major hit to to the body. Congratulate yourself for how much you have done in such a short time after that ordeal

I have done the training this week but have felt a little under the weather/achey due to a medication I started last Friday-stopped it yesterday so hope it's out of my system in a few days. Heart rate has been up all week on HRV test in am as well as the wkos.

Tuesday-3000 yd swim. That's when I started noticing aches (arms) and increased HR/RPE/increased SPL. Wednesday am 50' trainer ride with 1x15' barely hanging on to .9-quit as HR 175. Then 1x12'@ .85 and it felt just as bad.
    Long run today 17 mi In a little over 3hr, broken up by a swim lesson. 1st hour in dark, low HR running. Lesson then last 2 between 9-11am. We are having record dry heat here-most days in October EVER in the 90s. It was 96 by the end. Feeling the ache in quads. No negative split today like last week but happy to have gotten the miles in. Hydration/nutrition went well-took a route where I had a 'stop and rob' to fill up my Coach P designed ice bag.

David Ware is in town so will be riding with our group this Saturday. Sadly, running is out for him so he will be cheering us IM day

Let's all get it done this weekend! Almost there
  • Options

@ CM - glad to hear your road rash is healing up.  You should be fine by race day.

@DS - Nice work, nice location. 

@BK - Hope your feeling better.  Make sure to rest.  Good luck on the Beeline tomorrow.

I ran 13 miles last night after work in 1:47, 8:14 average pace.  Ran last two miles at 7:58 and 7:55 pace.  Was encouraged by this since I did a semi-hard Computrainer ride in the am before the run. Was great weather for it.  48F, overcast and no wind.  Run included 13 1/2 mile hill repeats.  Feeling strong again after IMCHOO.  It was 32 days post IMCHOO and 24 days before IMAZ.  Coaches RnP have told me not to run more than 2 hours or 13 miles (which ever comes first) between the two IMs.  But they have me running frequently (5 days/ week the prior two weeks, 6 days this week) to keep my durability going. Going to swim 80 minutes non-stop after work tonight.  Tomorrow - 3 hours on the trainer as ABP ride, then 6 mile brick run.  Sunday - 6  hour ride outside, 2 mile brick run.

Stay healthy everyone.

• Options
    @DS: u did 20.5 miles in 2:58 in Maui heat? woaw! only managed 19.7 in 3h02 in Kona like conditions (hot, humid one way with the wind on the back and not so hot on the way back but strong head wind..
    good job everyone.
    #1 rule now is arrive healthy on race day. Can't wait to meet u all
  • Options
    Hopefully the radio silence over the weekend means that everyone accomplished the big weekend workouts!

I had a strong and encouraging weekend of work. Great swim on Friday evening, 4Km in ~1:26, which is about right for me. On Saturday I rode ~90 miles of rail trail with some big hills at the end. I didn't hit my numbers exactly, but I came pretty close and I had more gas left in the tank (for climbing the hills) than I did a few weeks ago. Most importantly, I did manage a long run on Sunday. I ran 13 in a little under 2 hours (8:45 pace), with minimal pain and good mechanics. Obviously, this is a huge improvement and a huge relief. I'm going to pickup the scheduled runs this week and see what happens. Hopefully things will go well and I can get back to where I was 10 days ago.

• Options
    @Clark, it's great to hear and see on Strava that you are back and mobile.

I did my swim on Friday night 4000M in 1:36 which I think is pretty good for me. Woke up early and rode the Beeline on Saturday with Betsy and David Ware came out to ride with us. I covered 89 miles in 5:25. It was a hot day, mid 90's so I skipped running in the heat. We went to Oktoberfest on Saturday night and stayed out late, so I was drained on Sunday. Going to try to swim early this afternoon in order to get home to feed candy to the neighborhood kids.
  • Options

@ GL...Nice work.  Nice ride in the heat.

@CM...Good stuff.  Keep it up.  Encouraging.

I had a good weekend.  Swam 3500 yards Friday night after work.  Struggled a bit the last 500 but hung in there. On Saturday, I rode 3 hours on the Computrainer @ 180 avg watts, including 4 x 20' @ 220 Watts,  1 x 20' @ 235 watts, and the rest at 140 watts (52%IF). Then ran 6 with last two miles at 7:45 pace.  Felt  good on the run. On Sunday it was a hard ride.  Cold, windy, rainy/misty, Just a raw day to ride.  I did 75 miles in 3:58 outside, got cold and numb, & then re-treated to the Computrainer inside.  Did 40 miles in exactly 2 hours.  Total ride 115 miles in 5:58 @ 194 NP.   Then ran 4 miles @ 9:05 avg pace.  Now time to rest.

Stay healthy everyone. 

• Options

Congrats on those that were able to finish up last weeks work.  

I did my 3 hour run at the gym on a treadmill due to the weather...should have gone out and ran in the limited rain (hind-sight).  Finished the run but ran out of gas for the last 17 minutes. Since it was in the gym in the low 70's, I decided to do a sweat test too.  Even with drinking fluids for the 3 hours I lost 5 lbs of water. I could have swum laps with the pool of fluid by the treadmill from my sweat band that I had rung out during the run RR.

I promptly got a cold and survived the rest of the week and weekend with NO exercising at all....very depressing. Will try and go back to work tomorrow and maybe get on the bike in the pain cave today to get the heart rate and confidence back up.

• Options
    CM-congrats on the strong work and comeback on the run!

GL/BT-strong work!

JL-hang in there!

I didn't get the full swim in Friday-what I could do before a 7am start in OR-2500yds in my usual time.

Saturday-beeline ride with GL/DW
    I got the first (and only, thankfully) flat 3 mile into the ride. That spot just south of shea is my bewitching spot, I swear. The rest of day went well-98 miles in 5:15. On course for about 6hr IM. My speed, HR and RPE were about right, but watts a bit lower than expected. Fluid/nutriton as planned, no issues-peed 3x. Tried out my brand new specialized trivalent shoes with the boa closure-they were AWESOME.

Due to the 96 degree heat when we finished, i went to the treadmill. 3mile at TRP +30", felt good.

Sunday, did a 3mile LSP run with dogs, then forced myself on trainer just to stay safe and climate controlled. I was just beat and struggling to stay above .65 for 2.5 hours. Sweated way more than I usually do. Very happy to be off the bike for a few days.

I am a bit surprised at these Sunday 3-4 hour rides right now. Is it my imagination or were they rest days in previous years-especially week 18 Sunday??

Have a great week everyone and be safe-we are almost there!