Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

2017 EN Tour of Sufferlandria Challenge - Who's In?

Comments

• Options
    @Dawn Cass I'm not running the app but I pulled this from their website, maybe it will help:

https://thesufferfest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/210117746-Wahoo-KICKR

Stage 2 for me is all done.

• Options
    Stage 1 is done...That was not fun since I just did a FTP test on Thursday to end Nov OS.  I had the intensity at 93%.  @Dawn Cass - sorry, I have dumb trainer.
  • Options
    Thanks all...found it. There is a different selection if you have a smart trainer....all good to go. Stage 2 done and in the books...wow!!
  • Options
    Stage 2 done. Had to take the intensity down for the last 20' due to my run earlier, but still plenty tough!
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2017 11:36PM
    Stage 2 is complete.

If anyone needs stage three "The Omnium" in TrainerRoad - I wrote it manually and placed it in a team called KVAC.  I am going to try it after work tomorrow, but it should work.

The link is: https://www.trainerroad.com/teams/5756-kvac
  • Options
    Modified Stage 3 - Fight club done.  Train keeps on rollin...
  • Options
    I have come up against some technical difficulties that I think I am finally over. Those difficulties did not stop me and I just finished day 3 of the challenge. I loved today's ride, but as stated above I am riding at 90% of my FTP. I am doing a picture monolog.

Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 etc... 

• Options
    Love this @Brenda Ross
    Thanks @Brian Hagan i have been going to an 'embassy' and I am snowed in at home today so this is perfect to keep me on track!!
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan Thanks for the Omnium build in TR, worked great!  Stage 3 all done.

https://www.strava.com/activities/857774148

• Options
    Stage 3 complete. Not a good idea to attempt 500 watts in erg mode with a Computrainer popped my tire.    That one was tough! I could have used more of a warmup. Was going to try and get ahead tonight and do stage 4, but now I am just going to run and change my tube and tire. Have fun!
  • Options
    Great mother of Zeus! 475W is a SOB. Bike came lose from the damn trainer. HR hit 182. Can't be good.
  • Options
    Yeah, that was tough! It was a neat speed/strength workout as I'm not used to doing hard, high cadence sets and first time hitting 475 watts.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2017 3:30AM
    As all have said, TOUGH! 442W was my max I think, but the puke burbling up may have clouded my vision...
  • Options
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought Omnium was a kick in the junk!  Hitting 400+ watts had me worried that I'd break the bike off of the trainer but, alas, the bike and I seemingly lived through it (barely).  

Let me ask the collective for some advice.  I have to travel tomorrow, returning late Thursday night.  I can get in the Wednesday stage tomorrow morning no problem.  My dilemma is that I really don't want to get on the bike after I get off a plane late Thursday night, but I'm not sure I can take two stages tomorrow morning then sit on a plane for four hours.  What would you do - (1) two stages tonight to get ahead (ouch!), (2) two stages tomorrow morning then sit on a plane (double ouch!) or (3) take advantage of the Sufferlandria clock and push the Thursday stage to Friday morning then try to do the Friday stage either Friday night or Saturday morning?  Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2017 3:11PM
    @John Henault I like your #3 idea, but get ahead if you feel good.  

I just posted a version of Angels that matches the new video.  It looks like a ball buster, and i am not sure i would want to do Nine Hammers right after....., however that is my plan tonight.

Here is the link.  I am going to try an get nine hammers aligned in there as well.  It's a lot easier when I have a current version to just tweak.  I find that the new versions are about 5% higher in goal watts for each interval than the ones I am finding in TrainerRoad.  For those of you with Kickrs that can just use the app, I am jealous.  I think the music is awesome and its a nice break from my normal TR / Zwift set up.

https://www.trainerroad.com/teams/5756-kvac
  • Options
    @John Henault - There's no way I could do two back to back Stages at a respectable effort...I need max recovery time.  I agree with Brian...option 3 and Do Friday's Stage Friday night.  Let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    Agree. My plan was to do 2 tonight, but there is no way. Here is me during last VO2 from the warmup. There is know way I could have taken a photo during the 3 climbs. That was freaking tough!

• Options
    Stage 4 done.  Enamel thinning for sure.  Do not try this at home, but I am attempting to keep my string of 50mpw  running alive through the tour...  It is fatigue inducing and requires quite a bit of schedule creativity with work, call etc.

@John Henault - You'll get plenty of double trouble with the last 2 stages...  I would (and have for similar reasons) take advantage of the 50 hour window rather than double up.

@Brian Hagan - That is the look of a worthy Sufferlandrian!  Chapeau.
  • Options
    Thanks, all.  The decision was made for me tonight when I had a longer than expected day and came home feeling like dung (I'm the only one in the family who has not been sick for the past 5 days).  I will do the Stage 4 tomorrow morning, then 5 after I get off the plane Thursday night.  I will be a day behind, but maybe still within the stage clock limits. 
  • Options
    Great job out there everyone. 

@Ian Kurth Mad props for keeping the run going, that's a sign of a true sufferlandrian!

Stage 4 is definetely gonna leave a mark.  That last climb is just a giant kick in the...well you know.

https://www.strava.com/activities/858999819

• Options
    @Ian Kurth I can't imagine keeping that run volume going during ToS. Props to you!

Stage 4 in the electronic books. Different hard from yesterday, but still plenty hard. My face certainly looked like @Brian Hagan during that last climb...
  • Options
    Stage 4 done this morning.  I do not like Angels!

Ian, I can't say I'm surprised that you are keeping up that running volume, but I am certainly in awe!!  I can't wait to see what you do in Boone this year.
  • Options
    While I finished stage 5 about 2 hours ago, I am just now beginning to emerge from the fog of the valley of the nine hammers...

Strong work everyone.  Keep it going.  One interval at a time.
  • Options
    Oh gosh, I've been away a little too long!  Due to travel plans I couldn't do TOS during the official dates, oh how I would have loved to join  you all!!!  I finished the complete tour solo about 2 weeks ago.  Awesome suffering!!!  
  • Options
    OMgosh, Day 4 and then Day 5 kicked me in the butt. I almost cried today. Here are my picks from Day 4 and Day 5

• Options
    edited February 9, 2017 12:53AM
    Well - That was ugly...  Stage 5 complete.  I started flailing on the fifth hammer.  I did not hit the numbers, but I finished them as best I could.  My legs have major fatigue.  No run after...  Going to have a big bowl of chili and go to bed....  I think getting up early to swim today was a bad idea.
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan Your ride looked pretty solid to me, way to get it done!

Stage 5 is done here as well.  Felt a little better today than yesterday but it still hurt.
  • Options
    Completed Stage 5 this evening.  I think my 5 mile run this morning helped with leg muscle recovery.  Legs were still tired but not as fatigued as yesterday.  Today I had my highest NP and IF of the tour.  I'm thinking about doing Stage 6 Thursday morning.  

@Brenda Ross - Funny pictures!
    @Ian Kurth - Strong work keeping up with your running.  You sound like a ToS veteran.
  • Options
    No sleep last night, long day, and work dinner before a late ride made his very tough. How tough? See my beast on Strava to @Brenda Ross beauty... Hopefully some sleep tonight...

Keep it up, y'all!
  • Options
    Okay I'm late to the party, or suffering as it were.  Stage 3 was completed on Monday, and was a real kick in the Jimmy. I about puked at the end of that one.

Had a 4 miler this afternoon (Wednesday)cause I really needed to get a run in.

Stage 4 completed on Wednesday night (10:30 PM) after getting the kiddos to bed.  In the cloud that followed, I thought it would be a grand idea to tackle Nine Hammers while I'm all good and warmed up. 

Wrapped up stage 5 at 12:45 am totally spent.  Time for a shower and some sleep. I had to dial the intensity down a notch, but it didn't seem to have much impact on the suffering.