Home General Training Discussions
Options

How calculate FTP without WKO?

I just got  Quark with a Garmin 310xt (switching from a dying Ergomo).  From all I have read, WKO does not deal with the power information correctly from the 310xt.  While I can get the information into WKO the PAvg is about 10 watts lower than the Pavg from Garmin Connect and the actual 310xt in real time.  My question is, how should I calculate my FTP since the Pnorm will be incorrect in WKO?  I am thinking I should just take the average power from the 310 for the actual FTP test (I did a lap for each 20 min segment).  Since it was a FTP test, the pnorm should be very close to the pavg.  I'm not worried about the actual power number as I expected it to be different with a new power meter, but I want to use an FTP number that will be useful in workouts.  If I use the Pnorm from WKO I won't be working hard enough in my sessions.  Does this make sense?  What are other 310 users doing to establish FTP from their test data?

thanks......  BTW, I love the Quark and Garmin.  Not real issues getting set up and for the 3 rides I have done with it it has worked beautifully.  Now if TrainingPeaks would just get WKO updated! 

Comments

• Options
    My thoughts would be to use what you have and keep it simple. Pick a watts number to use and just start. If workouts are "easy", up the watts a bit, if they are too hard, dial it down. Analyzing is fun, but don't let it kill you image

tom
  • Options

If you feel like doing a bit of investigation, maybe dig into why there is a difference.  Do the workout, load into TC, then export to TCX.  Take that file and then import it into a few programs - e.g. WKO, TrainingPeaks.com, Golden Cheetah, whatever and try figure out the nature of the discrepancy.  Maybe it's a dropout problem with the 310XT and Cinqo because of where it's mounted, etc.

Not to suggest you would need to do this on a regular basis - you just need to understand what's happening.  For me, this is part and parcel of learning Power.  I'm a bit of a data geek, so I strangely find this kind of interesting, not necessarily a burden.  Just wish I had more time to play around with it.