Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Tire opinion for HIM

Aloha!

Which tire would you use for HIM on HED Jet 4 wheels: Michelin Pro Race 3 or Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX (320 TPI)?

Mahalos!

Comments

• Options

Both are at the top of the list in terms of low rolling resistance (lower watts to go the same speed). So if you have access to both, use the one that goes on and off the rim the easiest, in case of a flat in the race. If you're buying, go with the cheaper one. I use Pro 3s, as they are a little cheaper.

• Options
    I use the Corsa EVO CX, well CX II's to be specific. But the big caveat is that I run tubulars, and I chose the Vittoria's because they have removable valve cores and I prefer those for valve extenders.

In terms of some advice that may actually be applicable to you, since you are mulling over low Crr tires, make sure you pair those with a latex tube if you really want to benefit from that free speed.
  • Options
    I love the Corsa EVO CX II 320 TPI Clinchers and raced on them all of last year. The comparable michelin tire is the ProRace3 LIGHT. This difference is so minimal that I would go which ever you already have or are more comfortable with. I had ProRace2s before that and prefer the Corsas.

As AL said, being able to change them is important and both are a pain in the ass, but the Corsas seem just a little easier to me. And as Trevor said you need to run latex tubes to get the true benefit from either.

Are the Jet4s the standard or the C2? If you really want to get geeky and get every second... run a 19 or 20 tire if they are the standard once. On the C2 you can supposed run the 23 and get the same aero benefits.

I've been racing with a 20c up front to get the aero benefit and a 23c in the back for comfort/less chance of a flat.
  • Options

As Matt suggested PR3's and PR2's for that matter actually have pretty crappy RR numbers.  People seem to think that they do likely because the PR2 LIGHTS had really good RR numbers for a while and it is assumed that the PR3 LIGHTS do as well.  The corsa's on the other hand actually have good numbers.  Get the narrow ones for those wheels.

• Options
    Posted By Chris G on 03 Jun 2010 12:28 PM

As Matt suggested PR3's and PR2's for that matter actually have pretty crappy RR numbers.  People seem to think that they do likely because the PR2 LIGHTS had really good RR numbers for a while and it is assumed that the PR3 LIGHTS do as well.  The corsa's on the other hand actually have good numbers.  Get the narrow ones for those wheels.

Crap, my bad...good catch Chris... it was the PR2 Light that was tested not the PR3 Light.

FWIW, I have never riden the PR2 Lights or PR3 Lights, only the standard PR2 model, as I was onle of thos people that just heard PR were a good tire and bought the normal ones.  I definitely perfer the feel of the Corsa CX IIs and I have no way to tell if they are faster, but they sure worked well for me last year so I am sticking with them.

• Options
    Staci -

Be sure to tell us what you chose...made a pic of your steed??? image

P