Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IMAZ RACE WEEK!

** ADMIN**

Before you read on I need to remind you - 

LAST CALL FOR TEAM DINNER is TOMORROW

LAST CALL FOR QUARQ Rental is TOMORROW (I only have one so far) 

GROUPME will start Wed/Thurs if you don't get an alert on your phone by then, shoot Brenda or myself a message and we will add you 

My phone will start to be more reliable than email so if you need me please use my number 919-961-4393

Cant wait to see you all in TEMPE!! 

RACE WEEK! WEEK 20

Everyone started this journey for different reasons, at different times and here we are, coming together to execute and CRUSH the Ironman Arizona course. It may be your first or another one of many but each time we have to dig into ourselves and find out "WHY DO WE DO THIS CRAZY THING?"

You're welcome to share your "One Thing" or keep it to yourself but remember, practice this now. Look yourself in the mirror and say it out loud. Your body hears what your mind says. Tell yourself WHY however many reasons and one things it takes.

Remember to focus on the mental game. Do not underestimate this 5th Ironman discipline, it might be one of the most important ones.

When you are in doubt remember this….YOU HAVE ALL THE TOOLS YOU NEED!  You've put in the hard work, the learning, the training, the tank is full, you have all the tools. Put it all together on race day and be proud with whatever outcome you see. Smile and enjoy this day. Remember to be kind to your family, friends, volunteers. Represent EN well. Take time to thank the ones that have gotten you here. Love on those friends, spouses.

-----------------------------------------------------

Doing everything right for 20 weeks, executing perfectly on the swim and bike is only going to get you to the The Line as discussed previously, but make no mistake, it will come and when it does, have those One Things ready at the forefront!

Summary: During the course of your race day, expect your body to have a very convincing conversation with your mind: "Look, Mind, you've had me out here slogging away for 132 miles. This is really starting to get old and very painful. If I see another Strawberry Banana Gel I might throw up. You need to give me a good reason to keep going forward. If you can't give me a good one, I'm gonna slow down and you can't stop me!" If you don't have an answer ready, your day could be over right here.

Advice: Before the race, you need to be able to answer the question: "Why am I doing this race?" In other words, you need to determine what is the One Thing that put you in this race? To finish in the daylight with a smile on your face? To run a 4:10? .

1. Whatever your One Thing is, be absolutely clear and rehearse your mind/body debate beforehand. Practice makes perfect and this is a critical thing to have ready for when your body starts to push back.

2. Be warned: your body can be a helluva good negotiator at mile 18, especially if your mind hasn't prepared its rebuttal arguments beforehand.

Now team, do me a favor, take a deep breathe.... yes I mean it.... in through the nose, out through the mouth and SMILE. Are you doing it? Still not joking, DO IT!!!

Comments

• Options
    This is who I have for the Quarq so far - if I missed someone in a thread let me know - not a problem at all to add you!

Bruce Thompson M60-64
    Francis Picard M35-39
    Clark Mitchell, AG 50-54, 957
    Betsy 60-64 age group. Bib 2016
    Jay Lakamp, 60-64. # 3044
    Richmond David M40-44
    Doug Sutherland M40-44
    Mike Blackburn 50-54
    Gary Lewis Age 49 Bib 2662
  • Options

Just wanted to reach out to the IMAZ pro - bowl crew and send my best wishes to you all this week during and up through to that finish line.

Take care of each other, leverage the strength and wisdom of Tim Cronk and your coaches whom will be onsite!

And always, no matter what happens, KMF!!

SS

• Options
    quarq rental ?
  • Options

@ Robin - It's a GPS race tracking system - I believe this is the system here http://www.quarq.com/pages/quarq-race-intelligence/

To all those racing have a great day out there.

• Options
    @Mariah - Thanks for consolidating the collector requests! Do you have any more detail to share on when we pick them up and if/how we register them? I want to get an email out to my crew with details as most of them are not at all techy.
    @SS - Thanks for checking in with the encouragement. We will KMF for sure!
    @robin - Quarq Qollector (collector spelled with a Q) http://www.quarq.com/pages/quarq-qollector

It's game day baby, game day!

My weekend workout went well but for another flat tire. This makes 2 pinch flats in the past 2 long rides, so I'll be upping my tire pressure from now forward. Clearly I've been running too little pressure for the narrow tire / wide rim combo I'm running. Last night was filled with a bunch of admin stuff and today too. Tonight I'll wash and pack my bike and hopefully finish my race plan. I don't travel until very early on Friday morning, so I have most of this week to get the remaining nuts and bolts resolved.

Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone very soon.
  • Options
    Thanks Gordon and Shaughn for your well wishes!

Looking forward to seeing everybody!

And FPPx2! Breath, relax, one thing, breath.......

We got to do a practice 4K in TTL Saturday. It was windy! Waves like in 2014. The temp was 68 (20c) and not really expected to drop much so that's good news. Expect wind-then maybe we will get lucky. I couldn't find my neoprene cap and my head got cold in the water so I will be purchasing this week. This is why we do dress rehearsals. I always wear ear plugs too.

I was my usual slow time. But I beat expectations. I was going to quit after 1000 if my shoulder hurt. But it really didn't. We rode a loop of the bike after.
    I then worked all weekend and spent a good amount of time with the trauma orthopedist. He diagnosed labrum and I have an old unrepaired SLAP tear so this made a lot of sense as to the vagueness of my pain. Aggravated it by falling in it. Good news is range of motion exercise is best thing and explains why the swimming really didn't bother me. I will get through the swim, no effect at all on bike/run
  • Options
    Good luck and happy race week IMAZ-ers!! You ARE IM-AZING!! Love the AZ course!! Work your 4 keys and execute. EXECUTE!!! Safe travels too. Sending lots of mojo your way!! image
  • Options
    Hey everyone - One more quick sponsorship freebie --- If you're registered as an EN athlete with IM (which is about 35 of you for IMAZ) then stop by the XTERRA booth and they have some free swag for you if you tell them you are with EN. Last year it was a SWEET mesh swim bag that I use weekly, seriously its my favorite.

In regards to QUARQ-

I will have brochures as a take-away when I bring you your QQ - can either pick up at the team dinner or at the 4keys. Just remind to share the www.quarqrace.com link with family and friends and for the followers to select the IMAZ one - Once I add you to the tracking sheet.

Gary - I just need your Qollector ID which is on your device I am told - ping me if you have any questions, Im learning at the same time you are!

We used these in Kona and it was AMAZING! Perfect way for us/friends/family to see EXACTLY where you are on course
  • Options
    @Mariah, thanks for the Xterra Hookup. My Quollector number is: AFO22060
    @MQ, we missed meeting you at the swim. Hopefully it was a good RR for you.
    @FPP is just excited because he is leaving the GWN and can thaw out.
    @SS, Gordon, David Ware & Stephanie - Thanks for the encouragement, your support is always appreciated.

Everyone, the weather forecast is still showing Excellent!! 81 degrees and sunny. Don't forget sunblock. The water temp was great, one swim camp, feet were warm. Lets go racing!!
  • Options
    @ Gary and Betsy- Very bummed i missed meeting you guys at Splash n Dash :/ I was running a tad late and everyone was already in wetsuits by the time I finally got parked. Hoping you guys will be attending the team dinner! RR swim went very well and I think it was very beneficial to get a sneak peak at how TTL looks/feels at 7AM.
    Going to be an AWESOME race everybody...almost there!! short brick today and that'll just about do it!
  • Options
    All packed, did my last trainer wkout last night followed by a brick.

Quick 40' swim tonight.

Flying at 6AM tomorrow morning, arrive in Phoenix at 12h54.

So ready and happy for that race and leaving the cold.. -2c this morning here.
  • Options

Everyone travel safely to AZ..  Get lots of sleep.  I arrive Thursday early afternoon.

I took Monday off...slept in, no workouts and got a massage.  Today a I did a short but fast workout.  Bike: 30' with 10' warm up, then 2 x 5' @ 260 watts. Run: 2 miles @ 8:45 avg pace with 3 x 1' @ 7:15 pace.  Swam: 750 yards with 4 x 50 yard sprints @ 1:30/100 pace.  Finally feeling better from my head cold but still residual stuffiness.   Will swim tomorrow for 30', and run 2 miles.  Rest Thursday.

Anybody want to go for a ride on the Beeline highway Friday after the 4 keys talk?

• Options
    Interested in riding after the 4keys
  • Options
    Our flight has just been cancelled. Now will be getting in 7 hours later. image
  • Options
    @Jay - THAT SUCKS!
  • Options
    @JL, bummer. Stay in your box ;-)

My race plan is finally online here - http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/22203/Default.aspx
    I'm going to pass on the Beeline ride on Friday. Too many other things on my plate that day already.

Sunday's coming up fast!
  • Options
    Triathlon Tuesday just go did. All 3 wkos in today. Moving right along. Looking forward to the dry heat coming. We are in all grey, cold rain in the PNW. Moss is growing my my limbs already. Will need to recall the schedule for Friday, but I am interested in for the ride as well if I can fit it in. Safe travels to all.
  • Options
    @Doug, the moss will blow off when you jump on the Ventum.

I don't think I'm going to ride the Beeline on Friday. I may do an easy swim at the pool.
  • Options
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I had no idea there was an internal points challenge. Some of the IMAZ peeps would be on the list. It may be too late, but go to http://members.endurancenation.us/Community/AnnualPointsSeries.aspx and enter your time.