Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Road Bike vs Tri Bike for Lake Placid?

Doing IMLP in 2017 (my 3rd IM - did IMMT and IMNC, previously), and wanted opinions on road bike vs. tri bike for the Placid course.

I live in PA, and am pretty good on the climbs, but my descending skills are mixed - fine on my road bike, but not that great on my tri bike. Gearing for both bikes is identical, so that is not a factor.

My main question is this: Aside from the obvious aero benefits, does riding in the aero position (versus the more upright road bike position) use fewer of the same muscles that are used for running and therefore provide fresher legs for the run?   

Comments

• Options
    Tri-bike is better. Even if you descend in the bullhorns, there is almost half or more of each lap where staying aero will benefit you greatly vs the seven mile descent which is not too technical.
  • Options
    I agree with Rob on this one. I have done a race on a roadie and have been on a tri bike ever since. Practice on the downhills will get you more comfortable with them in general and will let you be in aero even more of the time. And I do seem to be better set up to run than when I was on the roadie.
  • Options

Posted By Eric Gerhardt on 29 Nov 2016 01:45 PM

My main question is this: Aside from the obvious aero benefits, does riding in the aero position (versus the more upright road bike position) use fewer of the same muscles that are used for running and therefore provide fresher legs for the run?   

While that was a claim made by the primary innovators of Tri-bike geometry (steep seat tube and head tube angles), the actual advantage of using the aero position is that the cyclist requires LESS power to go the same speed. Thus, you are "fresher" not because you are using *different* muscles, rather because you are doing less work to achieve the same (or even better/faster) outcome, time-wise.

As to Lake Placid...if you can ride your tri bike in Pennsylvania, you can ride it anywhere. Keene descent is not steep per se. According to my race file, it is 4.5 miles long, drops 1165 feet, averages 6-8% gradient and took me 8:30 to cover, each time thru. I am one of the slower descenders around here, for several reasons. My biggest issue going down that was the quality, or lack thereof, of the pavement. But I reason that over the course of a 6 hour +/- bike ride, how much time would I gain by going, say, the 42 mph I might be able to on my disc brake equipped road bike instead of the cautious 30 mph I averaged. And then how much would I lose during the remaining 5:45 by not having that aero advantage, to say nothing of how much more uncomfortable it would be?

When it comes to triathlon, aero bars, like disc wheels, are always the better choice, with a few rare exceptions. Lake Placid is not one of them.

• Options

I agree, tri bike all the way.

It can get a little hairy going into Keene - I hit 50 mph towards the end (was pretty much committed at that point and had to stay with it) and it gets very choppy down there.  However overall the descents at Placid are all very manageable.  

The aero advantage of the  tri bike will save you big chunks of time over the road bike.

The run pretty much sucks regardless of what bike you ride 

• Options
    There's a race in Lake Placid??
    Whodathunkit!!
  • Options
    Some good answers here. I did Savageman 70.0 in September (56 miles/5700 ft of climbing), and was very happy with my choice of road bike over the tri bike. I had heard that IMLP was fairly hilly with downhills that I'm sure I can take faster on my road bike, so figured I'd ask the experts. image
  • Options
    Tribike is the ONLY answer here... The American Zofingen thread on Slowtwitch discusses this every year and THAT race has much more significant climbing, always a tri bike... (a lighter one if possible)
  • Options
    x7 on the Tri bike...    The Descent into Keene is long and you reach high speeds, but it's mostly straight other than the couple of sweeping turns at the very bottom.  Then you have ~10+ miles of almost flat per loop after you turn at the bottom of Keene.  As others have said, you can feather your brakes if you must or simply ride in the bullhorns and the wind will keep you at a reasonable speed the whole way down, but you'll be faster for sure with less effort for the entire ride on the tri bike.  (I'm personally more comfortable on a tri bike as well, but that's a whole different discussion)
  • Options
    Per JWs comments above, Master the Keene Descent by going out to it on thursday. Have someone Sag you out to the top. Ride it, meet them in Keene, drive you up, repeat 2x. Guaranty you that after 3 rides on that, you will be uber comfy riding it and in fact will begin to attack it.. 
  • Options
    Tri bike all the way....  and what he said ^^^^^^^
  • Options
    Tri bike all the way....  and what he said ^^^^^^^
    I will also try to organize a group session and publicize it ahead of time so we can have a good group doing this!!!