Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

On Adversity, Boobs and Silver Linings

Greetings Rock Stars!

FYI there is some stuff going on for me medically.  It may or may not be of interest to you and absolutely no hard feelings either way.   I've written a post about it (because... apparently that's what I do as part of my "process") and if you'd like to know more please click through.

I recognize that for some people topics like boobs and cancer are uncomfortable, so I didn't slap the text here. But this is your official heads up: don't click through if you'd rather not read about those things!  

In any event, I'll be falling off the Strava boards for a couple of months and at a minimum if you read this post you'll know why.

Cheers! - Jenn

http://jennifermaeedwards.blogspot.com/2016/12/on-adversity-boobs-and-silver-linings.html

Comments

• Options
    You tackle everything head on and when reading this I felt more proud of you than I felt fear or pity, because it is about your strength and perspective. You have a lot of people in your corner, and I know you can get through this! Just another chance for you to show us all how damn strong you are!
  • Options
    You've been on a march to become the toughest person in EN for the last few years. Everyone thought it was for that wonderful Kona race... but no...it was so you can kick the shit at of this and get back at it!
  • Options

You are going to kick cancer's ass, Jenn! I love your positive attitude and sense of humor. Can't wait to hear your comeback story in a couple months!

• Options
    Jennifer, Having just watched the KONA special your name came up as an absolutely amazing performance in October. Then I find this right after talking about you. I read your blog, thanks for sharing . Your positive attitude and Mark will get you through this. Thinking of you on the 13th. For this, I wish good luck.
  • Options
    U got this Jenn, and the EN family is right there behind you...all the best to u and your ATeam!
  • Options

Thanks for sharing and best wishes for a full recovery!

• Options
    Get well soon!
  • Options
    Jenn, you will kick this cancer's ass from here to hell! We all know your determination and strength will get you through this with flying colors, just like your Kona race. Thank you for your report - it was a beautiful, sad, funny, and thorough story of what you've been going through and where you are headed. You've got an entire EN team behind you now and always. We will be thinking of you and sending good prayers and mojo on the 13th. Oh - and I think "B's" will suit you perfectly:-) xo
  • Options
    Keep strong Jenn!
  • Options
    Jenn - thanks for sharing. The way you approach this challenge is just like how you approach IM. Head on, with lots of data, and ultimately meeting your goal while keeping a healthy dose of humor through it all. Incredibly admirable. Glad to hear it was caught early.
  • Options
    Jenn, read through it all...you continue to be an inspiration; your proven ability to overcome obstacles will assuredly benefit you in kicking this thing in the ass. Mark
  • Options

Jennifer, it seems that you have attacked your cancer diagnosis with the same ferocity that you have your Ironman training.  You have surrounded yourself with a world-class team of medical experts and you have gracefully accepted the love and support of family and friends.  God bless you and your family as you fight this disease.  I look forward to toeing it up at the start line of a future Ironman.

• Options

Hello Jenn,

I am a newb here, learning how to use the website and hoping to find my training "Home" where I can put my thoughts to rest and just do the work.  I went through an experience similar to you in 2013 and I just want you to know that you will be okay and yes, all the doctors and crap are going to make you grumpy and sometimes feel sorry for yourself and such but you will come out of it stronger.  Though, hell, you are already an Ironwoman so I don't know how much stronger you can be!

• Options
    Jen -
    Can't even begin to reiterate what everyone else said about your courage and attitude. Look up Joe Matchette (sp?) he's been a big advocate for fundraising as his wife had a double masectomy. I have a friend here in NY that had the prophylactic mastectomy & reconstruction. She is an insanely competitive half & full marathoner, happy to intro you if you want to PM me.

• Options
    Jen - Thanks for sharing. You have been confronted with a lot of other challenges in life and have come through well. While this is probably one of the biggest you have faced, you are a very strong woman with a great support team around to you help you get through. Stay strong and feel free to pull on myself/team when needed....we are here.
  • Options
    Jenn, After reading your full write up, I am still blown away with the humor and good nature you have brought to bear on this challenge. I shouldn't be surprised though as it is the same approach you have brought to the triathlon game. I have immense respect for the work you put in and the attitude that keeps you balanced through it all. Those tools will do you well as you deal with this as well. As many have said, any way I can help, please reach out.
  • Options
    Jenn, I happened to stumble onto this post on Dec 13, you were likely in surgery (or maybe the recovery room) as I read your blog post. When I realized the date, I bowed my head to say a prayer for your. Thank you for sharing this news and all the gory details with us. I hope you know we are all behind you and sending you good vibes for a successful outcome.
  • Options
    You are through the first bit...and probably on some pain meds! I am sending prayers and good juju to you, Mark, and all your caregivers. Can't say anything that hasn't been said above. Love your attitude, and embrace your recovery. It will be much harder than you anticipate. But you can maximize it I am sure. (((hugs)))
  • Options
    Jenn, thanks for sharing all this! I am sure you will kick its @$$ !!

You seem to have alot of supporting people around you.

Wishing you the best =)
  • Options
    Jenn,
    I'm sorry to hear about this....as Scott said, my wife and I travelled this road back in 2010/2011. As you are in recovery now with not much to do over the next few days (especially), you might enjoy reading my wife's blogs (she transitioned from CaringBridge to Blogspot

https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/genmatchette/journal
    http://genmatchette.blogspot.com/

I have something I'd like to send to Mark...PM'ing for your address. Or he can call me -- 602-312-7373.

Joe
  • Options
    Jenn - I've had to steel myself to read what I suspected was bad news for you. And then I learn your surgery was yesterday. I'm hoping that it went as well as expected, that there is zero chance of a relapse, and that the soon to be, slightly modified Jenn is back racing as soon as you have made a FULL recovery. By this time next year, I hope to be reading about your 2018 race plans. Here's wishing you all the best!!
  • Options

Jenn, I'm finally catching up on things and low and behold I read your blog.  I am so sorry, but in reading your blog (which was awesome by the way), I can see you have the right attitude going into this journey.  You are one of the most up beat, positive people on this team!!  Attack this with the same vengeance you attacked Kona and you will be back chasing your dreams in no time!  All my happy, positive mojo coming your way!  

• Options

Hey Team

Back home from the other side!  The surgery went  fine, (5.5 hours) though  I did require the expander thingies which means a second surgery in a couple of months.  At this point (24hour)  I will say that this sucker REALLY hurts and looks horrible so that's bee'
    hard emotionally. Loaded up on a coctail of of drugs which allows for 10' lucidity per house. So much for all that Clean eating!

I've taken many of your suggestions and insights to heart.  THANK YOU!   

• Options
    Keeping you in my thoughts and sending you positive vibes. I will light a meditation candle for you. I admire the bravery of the transparency of your personal battles.
  • Options
    Hey Team!  Progress.  Round II completed Monday.  Beware, very keen to be atop the Strava boards again.  :-)

http://jennifermaeedwards.blogspot.com/

Hello from the Other Side

Hello from the Other Side

Well hello from the other side! Thank you for the kind words and notes. Despite my attempts to will it to be so, this round has definitely not been a piece of cake. Certainly easier than the round first which benefited from a full week on 24x7 narcotics but no, not much fun at all. As I understand it this is due to the additional rearrangement of the musculature.

Nope – not quite. 

They don't look perfect underneath but they don't look like Freddy Krueger got a hold of them and that's a win! Knowing that the right side got extra scooping to get rid of the bad stuff in Round I and the left got some extra rearranging under my arm in Round II, I think they're going to be just fine. Other than the surgical markings they look pretty normal in a T-shirt and they are much softer than the appliances! Phew!  

Yay drugs!

Considering there's extra dressing on one side and surgical markings up top it could be worse!

Presently we are in the midst of Operation Hard Boiled Eggs. For the future reconstructive surgeons out there: We want these implants to adhere to their "pocket." This is typically not a concern for cosmetic augmentation as normal breast tissue solves for that. In my case, fluid (envision the white part of a raw egg) is the enemy. Increased heart rate = increased blood pressure = increased fluid = Jenn's eggs never set.  We want them to adhere so that I can get clobbered in a future mass Ironman start and have them stay in place.

The type of implant I got is a newly approved silicone "gummy bear" cohesive gel in teardrop shape. If you cut a gummy bear and a half you'd have two pieces of gummy bear. Same idea here and thus no leaks! For now, we need those eggs to set.
     Here's what they look like in motion: https://youtu.be/bjigPq-8dec 

Gotta love a guy who goes to Costco the day before Valentine's Day and doesn't overpay for flowers. Plus he makes sure they are kitty approved.  The only other item in his cart? Gummy bears. Because… gummy bear implants.... 

Always.

The Boob Dream Team continues to be AMAZING. I am forever grateful for their support and the rally of our collective tribe. I also continue to have gratitude that I'm fighting to get back in the saddle not fighting for my life. We are at over 30 mammograms now - keep them coming! The new doctor brings a ton of mojo (he's not hard on the eyes either… ) and I'm sure will provide an additional mojo infusion at my next appointment.

THANK YOU!!!
  • Options
    Been thinking about you guys......thanks for the update!  Keep fighting and leading

SS
  • Options
    Jenn, great to hear from you...you have been in our thoughts. Keep fighting and know that you have a ton of people on your side if you ever need to pull on us for support. All the best,

Dawn
  • Options
    Jenn - your descriptions reflect a very positive attitude, so without getting too personal, let me just say that I'm wishing the very best adherence for your hard boiled eggs!  Seriously, we all look forward to your return to domination.  Paul
  • Options
    Hey Cool Kids!

Just to put a pin in this... I'm considering myself officially off the IR after the lovely Zwift ABP ride with the cool kids Sunday.   Everything about my triathlon self is slower, tighter and a bit more tired, but the overwhelming emotion is simply grateful to be healthy enough to do it.  I'm looking forward (hopefully) to the kind of improvements you only see when you have a ways to go.   :#

The short health wrap up is I have an excellent prognosis with a recurrence risk of less than 1%. (Almost no tissue left = almost no risk!)  I also have what my friends say is a nice looking top that some people pay good money for.  The weight penalty is about 1 lb, the aero penalty is still TBD. ;)  Sadly I can't and likely never will be able to feel them because the nerves are all severed in the scooping out process but hey - at least they're still there!  

The Zwift ride is SO MUCH FUN - I highly recommend it!  Envision all the trash talking and and group dynamics of a "real" group ride in the safety of your pain cave.    

THANK YOU for all your support, kind words, mojo, friendly smoke signals etc. through this journey! <3

xoxo - J
  • Options
    Awesome to hear @Jenn Edwards!  I love that you are past this.  Hopefully I will see you virtually in Zwift or maybe in even in real life again someday!  Good luck!