Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Joe Kelzer 2019 Coach Thread...

JK - 

So good to catch up with you...we've got work cut out for us, but there's only one way to get it done -- one step at a time. I'd like to get a sense of what your weekly schedule could be (especially on the bike) to build you back up slowly. 

And we need to talk "destination" 70.3 for your fiance!  

Reply here when you are back on the team and we can go from there!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

@Joe Kelzer -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Joe, great to have you back and healthy. When we connect (I'd like to talk!! https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min) you can tell me more about the injury and your path back. Since you were here, a great deal has changed...we have put our plans on Final Surge and you can manage them online and via a mobile app.

I can't tell when you started the OS, so I need to know that..basically, I want you to roll the OS into our Balance Marathon plan for Grandmas...so you are ready for the MTB ride. And then we can go Half and Lou...so please let me know about the OutSeason® or load it into your Final Surge Account (2019, bike focused plan). Then we can dive in deeper on the phone!

Note, you can sync your garmin with Final Surge online here: https://www.finalsurge.com/GarminConnectSync so it captures all of your data for me to use!

Your Races

• Other Running Race 06/22/2019 Grandmas Marathon
    • 06/29/2019 Lutsen 99er Fat bike division a week after grandmas.. could be a shit show.
    •  July 28th Chicago Half Ironman
    •  Ironman Louisville (2019-10-13) #IMLou_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 02/04/2019
    • Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 3/31/2019
    • On 4/1/2019  Load the    Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 6/22/2019
    • On 6/23/2019 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 7/28/2019
    • On 7/29/2019 Load the    EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on 10/14/2019
    • On 10/15/2019 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/11/2019
    • On 11/12/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/9/2019
    • On 12/10/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/6/2020
    • On 1/7/2020  Load the  -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 2/3/2020

Your Notes

injured since 2014 IM MOO (12:15:00) back into it and healthy, looking to get a good marathon in this year at Grandmas with BQ goal. and then maybe late fall ironman or 70.3 and other than that a bunch of smaller races and fun most every weekend c-cat. stuff. I have a 100 mile fat bike race the week after Grandmas but that is b cat. Timing is unfortunate. A possible option for fall marathon at Twin cities or Chicago first week of October. I could throw a wrench in all of this down the road with a Brazilian 70.3 but that is to be determined. I will update if that happens since I just found out Boston dropped 5 more qualifying minutes from me again. Swim 3-5k a week working on form and honestly feel great after other workouts (pool is a mile away)

Bike FTP estimated around 222 following bike outseason now. trying to get a couple midweek hour rides and at least one long ride on the weekend.

Run 4 times a week mileage 30 - 40 recent half marathon 2 weeks ago 1:41:00 but was slippery.

I'm also on strava team EN if you need to see any stats.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Joe Kelzer Great chat today...thanks for your time!!! Here are my thoughts for you (short term) until you

Grandma's is 20th anniversary race...So goals are fairly high for it.

Will be dropping IMLou due to a wedding....but we will talk post Lutscher to see how we want to handle the rest of the year. You can schedule that here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

In the OS but cherry picking. Doing the bike and run, but really targeting Grandma's...wants to be serious a bit more.  We can do this once I can see your full schedule in Strava... Here are instructions on how to unlock your training log for me to see: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Strava+Central

We also want to update your Final Surge account so that It autocompleteS your workouts. You can do that by connecting either your Strava or Garmin accounts (not both!): https://www.finalsurge.com/GarminConnectSync

Once we set up the short term we can decide how to macro build A BQ time....and maximize bike strength.  

Reply back to here for me when you are all set and we'll go from there!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi,

I opened up the accounts and linked to FS for completion automation. I think everything is set.

thanks!

• Options

Looks good to me @Joe Kelzer...nicely done! 👍

• Options

@Joe Kelzer

Let's talk for sure...you can set up a call with me here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

I think it’s a great idea for us to connect; I have put the call link ^above^ but you can text me too if you need to set something out outside of the typical hours: (617) 513-3830. 

We need to get you "run healthy" so we can tackle your bigger goals. We don’t need you running FAST anytime soon, but it would be great to have you running healthy. I have put in the Run Durability Program (RDP) plans To your outline below to get you started assuming the half might be off the table at this point.  You can load them as you like into Final Surge account, just let us know if you need help!

As for cycling, we need to get you indoors on Zwift. 50% of the Team is on the platform already, and it’s not only effective, it’s fun to use. I just rode 4 hours and 20 minutes on it today for my long ride!!!!!! (OK, I’ve got issues but you get the idea). Everything you need is on this page: https://www.endurancenation.us/teamen-on-zwift/  including the link to our "Endurance Nation Specific Resources" that has more details for you. 

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Florianopolis (2020-04-26) #70.3Florianopolis_20
    • Ironman 70.3 Jönköping (2020-07-05) #70.3jonkoping_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on September 12, 2019
    • On 9/2/2019  Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 9/29/2019
    • On 9/30/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/27/2019
    • On 10/28/2019 Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 02/02/2020
    • On 2/3/2020  Load the    EN*Half Bike Focused  to end on 4/26/2020
    • On 4/27/2020 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 05/10/2020
    • On 5/11/2020 Load the    EN Half Run Focused to end on 07/05/2020
    • On 7/6/2020  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 07/19/2020

Your Notes

Nothing this year except Grandmas marathon then hurt hamstring glutes... Did a sprint Triathlon placed 2nd so I still got some fitness. a few half marathons. most free time spent taking care of my aging parents and enjoying married life. I am finally hungry to get back into MDOT focus. I needed to do a coach call to get set up for a fall half ironman after Grandmas Marathon but with taking care of my folks and this injury I just backed off again. I need to get a program locked in that will take me through outseason into spring half iron Fortaleza then july 5th in Sweden and then possibly a fall full ironman. Either Back to WI or to LouisviulleBasic training swim 3 times a week 1000 - 2500 and a few running events run 25-45 miles per week and biking is very low 25 - 85 miles per week. A couple of sprint triathlons I did ok. I need to get on the bike more but have zero time, I need help getting more biking dialed. Ideas?

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Joe Kelzer

Joe, I cleaned up your Final Surge calendar. It follows your Season Plan that Coach Patrick designed for you. I got rid all those double workouts and multiple plans. You have a block of Run Durability for essentially October and then the OutSeason, followed by the race specific work in the HIM bike focused plan for Florianopolis and then HIM run focused work for Jönköping.

~Matt