Home Announcements 🎙
Options

Welcome STRYD to our family

Since Endurance Nation quite literally wrote the book on biking with power, it makes perfect sense that we partner with the company leading the way in running with power. After looking through their competitors and months of discussion with the company STRYD - we are extremely excited about this partnership. 

We will need YOU to be apart of this growth - this is where the team will show the world that we lead the way in innovation. We are starting our partnership with 20% off until January 31 --- after that we will go to 10% I have mapped out 2 more times throughout the year where we will have 20% off but I urge you not to wait for those times as they are more for incoming new athletes than ones currently on the team not wanting to pull the trigger just yet. 

We are going to have forum breakdowns, ways to add this to your training, special webinars with the company and so much more that is exclusive to Endurance Nation athletes. There will be MUCH more to come on this but I wanted to go ahead and get this information out to you before we break for the Holidays. 

Grab yourself a STRYD (it will arrive in January) so that we can start collecting data and changing the way runners train. 

CODE: endurancenation at store.stryd.com 

If you have questions, ask them here or PM me --- as always -- Thank you for supporting our sponsors, this one is going to be FUN! 

Comments

• Options
    Hmmmmm, interest is peaked!
  • Options
    Just got mine last week. I'm curious as to how I can practically apply it, but being the gadget geek I am I wanted to give it a try. On the treadmill yesterday my power correlated almost perfectly with my pace (which I believe it should) so I'm looking forward to gathering more data, especially on outdoor runs, to see what insights I can garner.
  • Options
    I am very excited for this partnership. I've been recording data for a week now and just gathering numbers. I am eager to have some educational interaction with the Stryd crew to maximize training and racing.
  • Options
    I had their first model, wasn't impressed. I bought the newer version and like it a lot more. I'm still collecting data but would love to learn more about it and how to use it effectively. Some of the race posts here have been very helpful.
  • Options
    here's a link to an IMTalk podcast with an interview with Jim Vance (who wrote a book on running with power)

http://www.imtalk.me/blog/2016/9/12/imtalk-episode-533-jim-vance.html

I'm intrigued...but not 100% on the bus yet, gonna be looking for the teams thoughts.
  • Options
    Just ordered one. Really looking forward to seeing the data and learning more about how to use it.
  • Options
    @Mariah-thanks a bunch for The great deal and even better the support to come.

@Robin-thanks for the link. That was the deal maker for me. I'm 100% that this will help me be more consistent throughout my runs and that's worth invaluable for me.

Looking so forward to getting it!
  • Options
    I've been thinking about getting one of these. This discount will probably tip the scales. However, I'm wondering if I need to get a new running watch to record the data. Have there been any improvements lately in watch software to specifically record run power or are people still needing to set their run watch to bike mode to record the power? Replacing my Garmin 620 will obviously add to the expense.
  • Options
    @Tom - the website has a list of compatible devices and add on apps through Garmin IQ. I have not added the app yet to my 920XT.
  • Options

There was no paperwork with the Stryde and the website instructions weren't very intuitive.  Until I found this

How to install

1. Download the Stryd Power field from the Garmin app store
    2. Sync your watch with Garmin Express
    3. Start a 'Run' activity
    4. Press 'Down' to access the menu
    5. Select 'Activity Settings'
    6. Select 'Data Screens' >> 'Screen 1' >> 'Field 1' >> 'Connect IQ' >> 'Stryd Power'

How to use

1. Start a 'Run' activity
    2. The power field will show 'Searching...'
    3. Generate motions to activate Stryd
    4. When the watch finds Stryd, the power field will show '0'
    5. Press 'Start' to start recording

• Options
    I have a 920XT and the IQ app works well. You may need to calibrate it for pace/distance if you use it on a treadmill indoors. If you do, also set it up like a regular Garmin foot-pod and calibrate it the same way.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-calibrate-a-garmin-foot-pod
  • Options
    Ordered a Stryd a few days ago ... they retroactively applied the new EN discount ... great customer service!

Can't wait to get started with it, although it won't ship until after X-mas.
  • Options
    Just ordered! Thanks for all the advice everyone and thanks EN for the discount!
  • Options
    Just jumped on board...discount put me over the hump! Very interested to see what comes out of the data.
  • Options
    Hey friends - we will be brining STRYD on our podcast soon to discuss the product while we launch training more etc with it --- but what are your questions you would like answered? Throw them out here
  • Options
    Ordered today! Thank you! I've had my eye on these since before Christmas. Looking forward to using this new tool!
  • Options
    @Mariah,

I'm most interested in learning how to use the device effectively. I have all this data I really don't know what to do with and I don't trust it enough to give up running by pace.

I'd love more race reports showing power data and how to make decisions as you're running based upon that data.

There are metrics other than power that it kicks out. I'd like to understand those better, see how they affect performance and learn how to correct problems using the feedback the watch and data are giving,

Best practices with data workflow. How to set up the watch. How do read the Power Center data. What's important, what's just interesting. How to monitor trends in data and how to make sense of them all.

Lots more thoughts, but that should get it started!

Thanks!
  • Options
    X2 on what @Tom said! Hopefully mine will arrive by the middle of this month.
  • Options

X3. 

I've been running with it and collecting data, but I haven't the slightest clue as to how I should use it to train, let alone race.

I'm a huge data geek so I love the idea of having more/different/better data to train smarter but I don't know how to apply at this point.

Sounds like a "Running with Stryde for Dummies" is in order.   This dummy will be in the front of the line

• Options
    Yep - ditto to Jeremy
  • Options

FYI

DC Rainmaker's take on it ( from August 2016)

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/08...er-v2.html

• Options

In addition to power, one other thing that I really like about this product, is that I can get advanced running metrics without having to wear the Garmin chest strap any longer.

I'd already switched to the Forerunner 735XT, so that I could use optical, wrist based HR and ditch the strap.  I think I have a permanent mark on my chest from from wearing an HR strap for years.  Also, on the run, the strap would tend to chafe or would sometimes slip during longer training sessions.

Power has become such an easily understood metric for total workload and interval output on the bike.  I'm hoping that run power may actually change the way that I approach run training instead of just distance and pace.

While Training Peaks & WKO will now give you a run TSS, I find that today, the only run metrics that I actually pay attention to are mileage and pace.  Hope this changes.  So I've ordered one using the EN discount.

I haven't received it yet.  But I did have a couple of questions about setup that I've asked Stryd support about.  There are two data field apps Stryd IQ and Stryd Power on the Garmin Connect IQ Store.  I wasn't sure which one to use.  Stryd support has been really outstanding so far.  They advised to use the Stryd IQ data field.

• Options
    Another +1 to the Stryd tech support group. They are really responsive. I really like the chat service they offer from their home page.
  • Options

Thank Mariah!  I'm excited to receive mine.... Happy Birthday to me!  

• Options
    Glad you all grabbed one - the discount will now be 10% so its still there if you are late to the party! Podcast and build out of this into EN to come soon! 
  • Options
    Mine arrived yesterday!  Thanks for posting the tips on how to set up with my Garmin!
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2017 8:07AM
    Got mine a little over a week ago and finally got it set up and installed. X2 on the thanks for set up tips for the Garmin!
  • Options
    Got mine yesterday. Looking forward to setting it up this weekend.  
  • Options
    Just set up the fields on 920 using Jeremy's tips above....thanks!