Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Melissa Olivas Official Coach Thread

Hi Coach P.  I am getting ready to do the Maui Oceanfront Marathon in a couple of weeks and I want to use the ice bags I bought from you.  Can you please give me the rundown on how to best use them?  Sorry to ask but I can't find the instructions since I ordered them awhile ago.  Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Melissa, of course! The info and video is here: http://bit.ly/2j8XJVn just seeing a video can be helpful. In terms of using the bag in action, you want toTuck it with you when needed. You likely won't eat ice in the first few miles. As the race progresses however likely after mile six, you will want to start grabbing ice at the stations. Wrapping the cord around your palm of your hand will allow you to hold on the bag and drop ice inside there. Pulled the bag shut and put it somewhere else to cool you off, say under a hat or in your jog bra.

As the ice melts, you'll be able to pour the water on your head and even open the bite to eat the ice, etc. Repeat this process at every aid station, or every other aid station as needed. You should only need one bag, but you could always carry the other one in your waistband if you think it's going to be an epically hot day.
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

I have been carting around teenagers and supporting their sports for the past couple of years. I did the Maui Oceanfront marathon in January but have had very spotty training since then. I can't remember the last time I was in the pool. I have been riding my bike here and there for 27-35 miles at a time a couple times a week and running a couple of times a week from 45-60 minutes. Not the couch but not exactly "training". I need to start from almost square one so I am going to mark "Beginner".

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 St George (2018-05-05)  

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 10/10/2017 
    • On 10/9/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/5/2017
    • On 10/30/2017 Load the Beginner OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 2/4/2018
    • On 2/5/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 2/18/2018
    • On 2/19/2018 Load the Beginner EN*Half to end on 05/08/2018
    • On 5/9/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 5/22/2018

Coach Notes

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/d25ixap0hu

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Just what I needed.  Thank you Coach P, you are amazing!  Good luck in Kona, we will be cheering for you from Vegas!
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

I am running the Boston Marathon on April 16th and I need a goal after that to keep my re-discovered motivation going. I have been running 30+ miles per week using the Balanced EN marathon training plan. I injured my calf in December so it has been a chore to come back from that but I was able to ramp up to the mileage including the long runs. My pace isn't what I would like it to be but the injury has healed. I know I need to take a little recovery time after the marathon but anxious to keep things going. I haven't been swimming at all to speak of in 6 months but I have been cycling at least twice a week about 60 minutes each day. Open to doing whatever training combination you suggest so that in December I am able to do my first 70.3 in 4 years. Can't believe it has been that long! 

Your Races

12/09/2018 Ironman 70.3 Indian Wells La Quinta 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 04/16/2018
    • 4/16/2018 - Post Marathon Recovery via Post HalfIron Plan (2 weeks) to end on 4/29/2018  
    • On 4/30/2018 Load the Beginner Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 6/10/2018
    • On 6/11/2018 Load the Intermediate Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 8/19/2018
    • On 8/20/2018 Load the EN*Half to end on 12/9/2018
    • On 12/10/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 12/23/2018

Coach Notes

Melissa, so great to have you back. I think rather than letting you drop off, we use the Post Half Iron plan to recover (no real running please) and then put you into the Bike Focus Plan (rest the weary run legs). We exit that into the GetFasterPlan for shorter, manageable sessions that keep you focused and develop some mid-year speed. Then it's off to the EN*Half Plan into your 70.3™. 

Let me know what you think! 

~ Coach P

• Options
    This looks great (and doable).  I really appreciate your time and will make sure to touch base with any questions along the way.  Hope you had a fantastic time in Mallorca!
  • Options
    @Melissa Olivas -  Sounds good! How time in Mallorca was epic, definitely a massive upgrade since the last time we all did training camp together. :-) I’m ready when you need to check in.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2019 1:16PM

@Melissa Olivas -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 9/8/2019 Las Vegas Tri Club Race Series (modified sprint distance)
    • 10/5/2019 Las Vegas Triathlon  (OLY)

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 05/29/19
    • On 5/27/2019 Load the    Run Durability for Runners 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 6/23/2019
    • On 6/24/2019 Load the  Intermediate  Short Course, 20wks to end on 10/6/2019
    • On 10/7/2019 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/20/2019
    • On 10/21/2019 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/17/2019
    • On 11/18/2019 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/15/2019
    • On 12/16/2019 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/12/2020

Your Notes

Hi Coach P! I am baaaack. Let's see if I can give you a quick summary. I haven't done a triathlon of Olympic distance or longer since fall 2014. I have kept up with biking to some extent but running much more albeit sporadic and I am now much slower than I want to be for both. Swimming has been non-existent. I need to incorporate some strength training since my muscles are turning into Jello. 

I recently completed a completely disappointing Revel Mt. Charleston in 4:18. However, my twin boys just graduated from high school which means I have more time to train and some newfound motivation thanks to some old training partners. So, I need to get faster biking and running and to start swimming again. I am going to put some local tri-club races on my calendar with the hopes of completing an Olympic distance local tri in early October. Let's see how I do with that and can go from there.Randomly running 3 times a week. Low mileage (12 miles per week) since Revel marathon on April 27th. Recovered now, no injuries.

Spin class once per week. 90 minute ride on the weekends.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Melissa Olivas So great to have you "ready to get back" in the game! That's no small feat...here you go.

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 04/19/2020 Las Vegas Tri Club Sprint #1
    • 06/06/2020 Las Vegas Tri Club Sprint #2
    • Other 06/28/2020 San Diego International Triathlon  [Main Race]

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 03/10/2020
    • On 3/10/2020 Load the    Short Course, 20wks to end on 6/28/2020
    • On 6/29/2020 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/12/2020

Your Notes

Hi Coach P.,

To recap, I had meniscus surgery on September 20th, 2019 and after recovering a bit I came back to the team. I have been on the Run Re-entry plan for 8 weeks and I am feeling very close to 100%. I have been following the Run Re-Entry program for the past 8 weeks, swimming Masters' for an hour 2-3 times a week, going to spin class for an hour 2 times a week, and strength training or physical therapy 2 times per week.

Because I have had to spend so much time off from racing I would like to start at the beginner level. I am planning to do a couple of local Tri Club Sprint races and then do San Diego International Tri (1000M swim, 30K bike, 10K run)

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Melissa Olivas I got your monthly check in, thanks!!! 🙏 I have pasted it below.

I think we can just transition you from the Short Course plan to end on 6/28 in to the Bike Focused Half plan to end on 8/30. If you agree with that, let us know. We can add the plan for you or you can DIY it (for the DIY tri, hahaha!).

Of course PLAN is the perfect bridge to the half. It should give you about eight weeks to do the work and if you follow the level to work out guidance, our intermediate level guidance, you should be all set. You can register for the race online and you can join us in Facebook here: D.I.Y. Triathlon by Endurance Nation

Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: I like the idea of the DIY Tri

Extra help request: My current plan ends on 6/28 so I need to figure out what is next!

• Options

HI Coach P,

Ok, I changed the plan myself and am excited for the DIY Tri. Yay! Thank you!