Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Liz Hickox Official Coach Thread

2»

Comments

• Options

ahhh...haha, I meant CHOO or IMMD THIS YEAR! Id just go 'for fun' if it can be called that!

2020 is Oceanside and Penticton...will also likely toss Quassy in there as redemption for last years fight club/train wreck.

2019, So far so good. Missed a brick run after last nights 112, time ran out and the dog was home alone...I did a workout out west w Chris Bagg that I loved, that I may recreate if you think its ok... We did 2 hours of bricks; 6 m bike, 1 m run..I found it HUGELY helpful. Any danger in doing that this week?

• Options

@Liz Hickox My bad, I forget how badass you are sometimes. If it’s this year, it’s possible to capitalize on tremblant and make those second race is faster once. But we won’t know until we get there. At this point in time in your week, build into tremblant, that workout does not make sense.

With the last seven days to raise any swimming you can do will be beneficial. I’m hoping you can get out to Sachuset (?) Beach todo a few more OWS. Bring your bike and do one or two laps on the roads down there as well so you get the swim bike combo in. If you did that on Monday and Wednesday, for example, 30 minutes of swimming and 45 minutes to an hour of biking that would be great.

It’s also time for you to start sketching out that race plan. What are your targets for power and heart rate on the bike as well as how much Nutrition) do you need to consume? What are your targets for the run? Those details matter!

• Options

I haven't meat to blow off swimming, work and life has just been verrrrry busy this time around, most nights I'm not even starting out until 6 pm.

I'll get in a few OWS/bike this week, for sure; get to MT Th morning, will also get a few laps in there.

race plan..

BIke: I guess I thought my targets were same as last year? power goal ( I use IF, intensity factor)) of 71-73-ish?

Run: HR is start at high zone 1, and move to TRP/Zone 2 about half way through..with any last minute effort at mile 18.

Nutrition, last year worked...!

I redid calculator as I'm a few pounds lighter. Bike is 300 per hour, run 185.

Last year I lightened up the bike by going from 3, to 2 bottles.

Split calories ( i use infinit) between 2 bottles, and freeze 2 more for bike SN.

I also carry a few GU, a PBJ for 1-56, and Chocolate [pop tarts at bike SN :)

Run, I have a paste made of Infinit; and give myself a squirt every other aid station, alternating water and gatorade. I graze as needed; some coke towards the end..and sometimes water salty things are out there.

I also carry my own BASE salt ( every 15 minutes on run, bike is covered) and take Altred every two hours.

Slow release carbs at 4 am-ish, a power bar at 6, a gel 15 minutes before i swim.

Beer after :D

I'll see whats up w IMCHOO after this; i was just going a 'girls road trip'...I can find a better way to spend my time and about $304920940394 ;)

• Options

I’ll have to wait for the full story, but from the data I can see in the tracker things work out for you. I’m very excited to see that that all came together. I hope Brian is OK. Shoot me a note when you’re back and we can talk about the rest of the year.

• Options

OK, so that's a wrap!..NEXT!

New age group :)

2020; Oceanside 70.3, and Penticton on the books...Hoping for invite again to Wattie Elite camp...contemplating Hamburg. Thoughts?

Things i did this year that worked, BAREFOOT running....10000%. No more crashing down on my heels; and I got to wear super cool kid racing shoes :)

I also added lot of strength, and box jumps...SUPER helpful. Need to do more, and more track/speedwork.

Nutrition during training this year was dialed in, I was my lightest weight but my strongest...added amino acids, and Altred every day. Also added recovery drink, and much more protein, both Herbalife.

So, how do I get to Kona from here? lol. Hamburg? Any other obscure race that might work for me?

I'm 100% recovered (I NEVER even had dull pain) and ready to go! LETS DO THIS!

Brian will also be back this year; last year he was on the fence all year due to a late start..but managed to put together a decent day with limited training!

• Options

@Liz Hickox I uploaded your Post IM transition plan to your final surge account. Continue your convo in here with @Coach Patrick to work on what is next.

• Options

Thanks Brenda!!!

Ok, Coach, P. Whats next? haha!

• Options

HI,

Thanks for your time! Spain it is! Thoughts on adding CT 70.3 for redemption race? that would make my schedule Las Olas INT in Feb, Oceanside first week of April, CT in first week of June, Spain in mid-July, and Penticton in Aug 30.

• Options

@Liz Hickox

Ok, so you want a plan that drives you into Your year...here's first blush. This gets you to all the races; I have put the Run Durability Program (RDP)  into your account but nothing after that as I need to update the OutSeason®  plan!

Your Races

• Las Olas INT in Feb
    • Oceanside first week of April
    • CT in first week of June
    • Spain IM in mid-July
    • Penticton in Aug 30.

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 09/06/2019
    • On 9/2/2019  Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 9/29/2019
    • On 9/30/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/27/2019
    • On 10/28/2019 Load the  -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 2/2/2020
    • On 1/5/2020  Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 4/5/2020
    • On 4/6/2020  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 4/19/2020
    • On 4/20/2020 Load the    EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on 7/12/2020
    • On 7/13/2020 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/26/2020
    • On 7/20/20 Load the    EN Full, Minimalist, 12 Weeks to end on 8/30/2020
    • On 8/31/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/27/2020

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Spain is locked and loaded....before i register for CT, is there a different race you'd suggest that would be a good qualifier for NZ? preferable one that is guaranteed 70 degrees and sunny, with crystal clear swim ( with a cable!) a downhill run and only one other person in my division?

• Options

To be honest, I really don’t know. I rarely race the half distance and people who earns lights seem to get there pretty arbitrarily. Some races are competitive, and others the slot rolls down for forever it seems? That might be a good question I put to the team in the Racing forums for their input? Let me know if you want help doing that.

• Options

Hi..I got a 'last minute slot' for Boston Marathon...not planning to race it at all, just 'do it'.

I'e had some scheduling challenges recently, I have to let work take priority right now, I do my best to make it up, but I find backing up all missed workouts lends to poor quality...

Guess I'm just hoping for some reassurance that this far out, missing a day or two wont destroy my season.

last year, I did 40/60 advanced/intermediate level.

This year, trying to do all advanced...again, some targets I can hit, some are harder. In those instances, I've been shooting for duration versus power target.

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman Vitoria-Gasteiz (2020-07-12) #IMVitoria-Gasteiz_20   
    • Oceanside 70.3, CT 70.3

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on November 29, 2019
    • On 11/25/2019 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/22/2019
    • On 12/23/2019 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/19/2020

**Transition Early**

• On 1/6/2020  Load the  -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  4/12/2020
    • On 2/23/2020  Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on  4/5/2020
    • On 4/6/2020  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  4/19/2020
    • On 4/20/2020  Load the    EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on  7/12/2020
    • On 7/13/2020  Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, Trial Member Version, All Levels (4wks)  to end on  8/9/2020

Your Notes

IMMT, took little time off, and now back in program. Work has been a challenge, trying to hit all workouts, but have to make work the priority until at least January, when I can commit 1000% to training and NOT miss a workout.doing 80% of plan;moved up to advanced level this year, adding in strength training...

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

HEY! LOVED THIS LITTLE CLIP!

And very cool about HJ; she's SUPER sweet, and her husband Sean "Wattie' is AS NICE...THEY are the nicest couple, ever...

Heather is just like one of us ( well, the not DB-ey ones of us, lol!), shes seems surprised by her followers, shes incredilby humble, which is refreshing! and WHY i like her so much as an athlete!

Thanks for the update, I don't HAVE to do Boston if you think it will compromise the rest of my season ( which also has Penticton in it btw ;)

I'm pretty sure I must have messed up my plans....now i'm seemingly back to square one, my workouts up until now have been a lot more intense, and certainly longer...when i went to view my new FS page, I think I must have had a few plans in,,,,,

Should i JUST have the durability for triathletes phase 2? with virtually zero biking?

• Options

I know you want to kill me. My husband shares that sentiment most days....

I got a head of myself, 'throwing' the Boston marathon is was a lot. Even though I just intended to do a social easy tour of the course' I know i'm not wired for that, and I don't even love running! I do, however, love 'free' opportunities,,,however, this one came a a cost, and that was my 2020 tri season.

So, I bailed.

The only other items to add is that when I get home from Spain, I'm heading to IMLP to team cheer and do whatever training you feel is prudent in terms of Penticton 6 weeks later...

Please don't kill me.... and have a nice day! :)

• Options

Honestly, I think that’s for the best. Excellence is defined not by what we do but what we choose not to do. If only because saying no is harder.

yes to the durability plan through January 5. Then we moved to the Outseason. If you need me to make any changes in FS let me know.

• Options

Ok, now what? lol I'm supposedly two days out from Oceanside, with CT on May 31...obv neither are relevant. Spain will prob not happen, which leaves Penticton...and Oceanside in Oct. Have about 10 days to make decision about CT. I'm 70.3 ready, for sure...what plan should I plug in?

• Options

@Liz Hickox -- it's not lost a bum knee how fit you are right now for a year when all the races have been canceled / moved (like CT)! I know that you are literally walking around saying WTF?

That said, I know that your training is keeping you sane, like many of us. I think you still have some opportunities here to become a much stronger athlete, the challenge will be defining what your motivation is with the race is not being reliable.

My recommendation is that you continue to train towards the end of May as your target race. Go through the motions and we figure out some kind of time trial effort for you to do on the bike and run. If it can't be done outside, then we fire up everything indoors and you get 56 miles on the bike followed by 13 miles on the run done and you can have a couple of beers and kick your feet up for a week because you earned it.

That peak work will earn you some rest, after which we can cycle into some nicer bike volume outside, assuming you're open to that, and then the traditional building to Penticton. I think that's the best way forward. I do understand that this approach may make you crazy, so I can work with you if that's the case. Let me know what you're thinking!

• Options

Coach P, this is the last update I have, with CT as my target...what did I miss?

• Options

Hey, you didn't miss anything, it was this part I was referring to:

Rather than ejecting early, we would do it...but that was assuming that Spain wasn't going to happen.

It's been crazy hard to keep track of all these races and the changes across the season. Based on the information on the IM Spain website, it appears that you will have a go/no go official notice as of May 23. So I think the training continues but we keep an eye on your inbox.

We are good...let's keep the "planning" question here is possible, and the comments / OMG stuff to the FS inbox. Deal?

~ Coach P