Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Rachel's Farewell Address

I posted on the dashboard last week that I was leaving EN.  The amazingness of the EN community was reinforced in all the messages I got from the coaches and friends checking in.  Sorry I didn't get back to you right away, but in light of just watching Obama's farewell address, I'll do my own!  

Just to make it clear up front, I've loved EN and will continue to love it.  It's not you, it's me...  

I joined EN in the fall of 2012 to prep for my first Ironman- IMWI 2013.  I didn't know when I joined that the year that followed would be one of the most challenging for me for many personal reasons.  At a time when I didn't feel I had any control over my life, learning to push myself in training was quite therapeutic.  I remember the highs of surviving my first camp weekend- where I rode more than I ever dreamed of and realized EN people were even cooler in person.  I successfully completed my first IM, embracing the 4 keys, and was ready for more.  2014 was unfortunately plagued by injuries and illness, but I did pull off a great fall half marathon.  Having the team to turn to when I couldn't train was great support, and let me feel I was still involved.  2015 was my big year- Florida and Blue Ridge camps,  IMCDA (surface of the sun edition) and then over an hour PR at IMWI finishing in 12:09.  I stepped back this past year as I worked non-stop to finish my PhD, and watched my fitness drop with the confidence of knowing that EN would be there to get me back in shape when my life allowed.  

So all this feel good stuff... why leave?  The past few months have been a giant change.  I up and moved to Canada for a great professional opportunity.  Besides the weather, I'm very happy with my choice.  But, this big change came with two things- 1) I moved to a city far away from anyone I know. My dog and cat would really appreciate me finding some humans to talk to.  2) Moving countries is very expensive.  To address #1, after a couple months of settling in to a hermit lifestyle, I realized it's time to make some friends.  I've realized that while I love the virtual coaching and team, getting involved with triathlon people in real life in my new town is what is right for me right now.  I'm lucky that there are lots of great free/cheap training groups here to get involved with.  I really do love EN and the value of the community and in an ideal world, I'd train with people here in real life and stay a part of the team.  But this is where #2 comes in - $$$.  EN is definitely an affordable coaching option, but with where I am professionally and all the costs I've incurred moving, I can't pay money just to hang out (and learn) with the cool kids.  I will definitely continue to use the principles I've learned from EN as I go forward.  

So please folks, keep in touch.  I'm on Facebook and will try to consistently get my workouts on strava (anyone who follows me, don't worry, I do workout more than strava thinks).  If anyone wants some great training in a beautiful location, you are welcome to crash with me in Calgary, though I'd wait til its not like -10 F.  I'll be racing mostly locally this summer, but will be at the Chicago Marathon in October.  

In closing-  keep working hard, getting smart, and going fast, and I'll try to do the same!  

Comments

• Options
    Rachel, We will miss you. Hopefully our paths will cross and we will get to meet in person someday ! Stay active physically, keep engaged with real people in person , take care of those animals, and good luck with your career in Canada.
  • Options
    All the best to you, Rachel. I've still got the image imprinted in my memory of you dressed as a giraffe at IMWI on the helix last Summer. Keep that positive energy!
  • Options

Rachel,

You will be missed, but EN will be here to come back to.  What's wrong with -10F, it's -20 this morning here in Saskatoon.  I don't get to Calgary much, well I don't really get out that much.  Enjoy the city and the new tri adventures.

Gordon

• Options
    Rachel,
    It was great to hang out at the JVC not once but twice! Don't eat all the peanut M&M's and have fun exploring your new home surroundings. We will be here when you come back.
  • Options

All the best as you leave us virtual friends for real ones image

it was great meeting you at both IMWI races and so exciting seeing the progress you made.    

Good luck both personally and professionally in the land up north.

• Options
    Rachel, you'll be missed big time...not only as a member but as a Wicked Smart Member. We wish you the best in the next step of your journey...and I hope to see your smiling face crushing a race soon!

Best,

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Rachel - sorry to see you go, but wishing you all the best in Calgary both professionally and athletically. And thanks for dragging me along on those 10 mile runs at the Florida JVC!!
  • Options
    Good luck with everything! You can find a lot of us out on Facebook or similar places just to keep in touch...just poke around!
  • Options
    Dear Friend - we'll be in touch! Perhaps when you come back to Chicago for the marathon. The Ragnar ultra team was the bomb with you on it and we have lots of memories of that adventure! Keep posting on Facebook (and one day I'll be back on that). Crush all of those local tri's and come back to the haus when the time is right. Love ya!
  • Options
    Roomie, you got this! We will of course miss you in the haus, but as said above, it will be here when you are ready to come back and poke around!

Lucky peeps those Calgary trinerds...getting to hang with you! I shall see you on the book of Faces! xo