Home General Training Discussions
Options

Race Fueling Webinar (including "Natural" Fueling) with Jesse Kropelnicki

A great session tonight with Jesse. So much information I might need to watch the whole thing AGAIN just to make sure I really absorb it all! Some good pointers in here for everyone...my key take aways (share yours below):
  • Test to get your true nutrition needs
  • Practice your nutrition in every possible training session
  • It doesn't matter what you consume as long as you consume what your body needs!
http://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/sw2cndppjo?embedType=iframe&seo=false&videoWidth=550

Also posted this to the Nutrition Page in the wiki.

Please visit the Team Discounts page for info on the EN + CoreDiet options!

Comments

• Options
    I learned alot
  • Options

Another good webinar.  Based on what he presented, I decided my old QT2 refueling plan is still good.  The organic version is interesting but I'm not going to risk a shift.   BTW, I have to confess that I'll be at the QT2 Age Group camp in Clermont Feb 11-14, but I'll be sure to be representing in my EN kit.  :)

• Options
    That Webinar should be mandatory listening for EVERYBODY period !   From the beginning to the very last words at the END.
  • Options
    Wow, what a great webinar! I definitely took lots of notes and learned a lot! I'm going back through the webinar now to fill in any gaps.  I guess my main question is that while "natural" fueling is possible, it seems better to train your gut to get used to those products that will be available on course on race day?  Up to now, I would say that I've been training in a more "natural" approach but agree that logistically it is more difficult.  In the three 70.3 distance races that I have done, I would have everything I thought I needed on the bike, but would get in trouble on the run and bonk.  I'll be doing IM Chatt 70.3 and IM LOU this year as my big races and want to make sure everything is dialed in properly.
  • Options
     Be sure to take screenshots to review later.  The beauty of race nutrition is that once you get it right all you have to do is practice and repeat. 
  • Options
    I wonder how the carb numbers translate for someone 60 lbs. heavier and less lean than the 160-lb example?
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2017 1:17AM
    Is PowerBar Perform still the go to for on the bike Nutrition? I tried it, I liked it, but for some reason I can't find it anymore.  It's like it got pulled from the shelves.
    I also consulted the on the bike nutrition here as well
  • Options
    @Andre Fraser, I still see Perform mostly in local bike shops, but is less popular since it's no longer the sports drink at Ironman branded races.  A couple years ago, Gatorade Endurance Formula is the sports drink provided at IM races (bike and run).  For simplicity and easier logistics, EN encourages using the race provided sports drink. The EN nutrition guidance is still valid, but you'll need to adjust the calories/sodium/carbs based on Gatorade Endurance when doing the math.
  • Options
    Guess Im in for a treat...Ill be watching this very soon.  I have always been a sucker for nutrition info and guidance. 
  • Options
    You can still get Perform direct from Powerbar online or other online dealers IF you still want it.
  • Options
    @Robert Sabo thanks for that! It's my fav...
  • Options
    @Andre Fraser, I still see Perform mostly in local bike shops, but is less popular since it's no longer the sports drink at Ironman branded races.  A couple years ago, Gatorade Endurance Formula is the sports drink provided at IM races (bike and run).  For simplicity and easier logistics, EN encourages using the race provided sports drink. The EN nutrition guidance is still valid, but you'll need to adjust the calories/sodium/carbs based on Gatorade Endurance when doing the math.
    Thanks @Derrek Sanks.  I like simplicity so I'll switch over to Gatorade and test it out.  Where is the place in the DMV or online to order it from?
  • Options
    @Andre Fraser, I saw it in either Performance Bike or Spokes Etc in Alexandria.  Online might be easier than driving around to different stores.  
  • Options
    Thanks @Derrek Sanks  Amazon has it.   I'll give it a try.  Any flavor to stay away from?  I was thinking the Lemon Lime might be the way to go https://www.amazon.com/Gatorade-Endurance-Formula-Powder-Lemon/dp/B003V5G9L0/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1495676278&sr=8-2&keywords=Gatorade+Endurance+Formula

• Options
    @Andre Fraser since lemon lime/orange is what's on course, I just stick with those during race prep. 
  • Options
    I think there was a previous recommendation that for every bottle of gatorade, 1 saltstick capsule should be consumed since gatorade has fewer electrolytes than perform.  I use 1-2 caps/ gatorade bottle and it seems to work fine.  Also Louis Garneau Sports drink seems to have tons of sodium in it (a least the samples I was given do), and I might try that once my stockpile of perform is used up!!!
  • Options
    @Andre Fraser, if I remember correctly, orange is provided on the bike and lemon lime on the run.
  • Options
    It's reverse.  The lemon-lime is on the bike and the orange is on the run.
  • Options
    Just got my package from Amazon yesterday.   Will be testing it out this week.  Thanks guys for the referral