Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Abbey Bonner [TeamEN 2020]

I am currently on week 2 OS Intermediate 2017. I'm getting married next Saturday (28th) so won't be able to train on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday.  Should I just miss the training that is scheduled for these days or do you have any recommendations for switching/swapping the training around?

Ps: I registered under the surname Wellman, but I've changed my Profile surname to Bonner (this will be my married surname). I hope this hasn't confused you. Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Abbey Bonner I saw the name change, no worries!!  Congratulations (in advance!) and hope it's a blast. The only modification would be getting that long ride / run it...So if you could do this, we'd be find to pick up the following week on the Wednesday...

Mon - As planned
    Tue - As planned
    Wed - As planned
    Thu - Saturday bike, no run (even if just the main set)
    Fri - Long run (or as close as you can)
    Sat - MARRIED
    Sun - OFF

Let me know!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hi Patrick,
    That is brilliant!  thanks for guidance :)

• Options
    Hi Patrick, I'm following the 2017 Intermediate Outseason plan week 3.  The Run TRP pace seems very slow to me.  I am following the Heart Rate TRP and it is turning out to be a pace of around 10 minute miles.  I am used to running 9-9.30 min miles.  My HR TRP pace is definitley a "run all day" pace, but is it ok to train a such a slow pace?  I am worried I will end up being an even slower runner.  I am guessing this is normal and the idea is that it will build run durability without putting too much strain on the body, but just wanted to check with you?  thanks again Abbey
  • Options
    Abbey - 

First of all, I hope you don't read this today… You have more important things to attend to!  :wink:

Using heart rate as the guy for your zones can get tricky because your heart rate isn't always the same.

For example, if you test indoors but train outdoors you will find your paces to be very slow (this is because your heart rate is always lower running indoors on the treadmill).

This can also be the case if your first test happened when you weren't that fit... As your fitness changes the work you can do at those heart rates changes as well.

If at all possible, I would prefer that you train with pace is that never changes. A seven-minute-mile is always a seven minute miles whether it's indoor or out. 

If heart rate is your only option at this time, why don't we have you incrementally move towards that faster pace.So next week let's make your TRP pace be 950s.... And the week after that let's go 940s... And then 930s. If that truly is your happy place, this progression will be gradual enough that you'll be able to handle the increased work. And by that point time to have a test in short order that will confirm any true differences!

Please keep me posted!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hi Coach P,
    OK thanks that makes sense...I will run according to Pace from now on.  

I am fit so my 5 km test result should be OK, however I have always had difficult run training to heart rate because my heart rate seems to fluctuate a lot.  I ended up ditching running to HR last year (through frustration) and trained to Perceived Exertion...so gingers crossed training to Pace will work out better for me :)
  • Options
    @Abbey Bonner please cross all of your gingers!!!   :lol:   I think pace will work well for you, esp if you've had the variable HR. As you get better at "pacing with pace" I hope to see a flatter HR profile...but we'll see!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hi Coach P,
    I am on Wk 13 of the OS Intermediate Plan.  Since my run last week Wednesday I have experienced foot pain and I can't run.  I have done 1 bike ride since then and I saw a Physiotherapist.  It is a muscle/tendon issue stemming from a tight shin and calf.  

Anyway, I can't run at all for the moment but I can bike and swim, so I am planning on turning this into a positive and become an awesome cyclist and swimmer.  I am due to start the Get Faster Plan for 7 weeks after the OS, and then on to the HIM Plan. I thought I could replace some of the main run sets with extra bike intervals, or do you have a bike/swim only training plan? what do you think? 
    Thanks Abbey
  • Options
    @Abbey Bonner - Good call to rest it up. Can you tell me more about the issue? I'm curious to know if it's something that will resolve itself or if we need to add in some extra self-care training. Please let me know.

Yes there are with no brick runs for you, And you can do either a swim or a bike on those extra run only days -- For example you can bike both Saturday and Sunday. I'm super proud of you for finding the silver lining!!!! :smile:

While you are resting your legs, might be a good time to look at your whole running"system."For example are your shoes up today? Did you do anything egregious in your training like spike the mileage or intensity? Good chance for us to reflect all of that now....

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hi Coach P,
    I was following the OS plan so no spikes in my running mileage/pace etc; however I did do a 7 mile power walk a couple of weeks before my foot injury which I think was the catalyst (I am entered in the London half marathon moon walk in May) .

I have been doing calf/achilles/foot stretches that my physio gave me, and I have been cycling a lot and I am pleased to report my foot has healed (I think the cycling helped stretch my foot out) and my physio has said I can try a short run This week.  

I start the Get Faster plan today; I plan to swim tomorrow (Tuesday), bike on Wednesday and try a 1 or 2 mile run on Thursday.  

If the run has no repercussions on my foot, I'll look at building my running distance up again.  

In total I will have had a 3 week break from runnning.  Some advice from you on how I can build my running distance back up (sensibly) would be great.
    thanks Abbey
  • Options
    @Abbey Bonner - OF COURSE!  Kudos to you on being smart enough to rest it. 

1. Do Not Just Run Two Miles. PLEASE. Not worth it.
    2. Let's break it in gradually. 
    3. After two weeks of gradual return, we can green light you.

Starting with Thursday, then every 3rd day (Thu / Sun / Wed / Sat)
    • Days 1, 2: Walk 1 mile, then run 1 minute, powerwalk 2' for 15 minutes.
    • Days 3, 4: Walk 1 mile, then run 2 minutes, powerwalk 2' for 20 minutes.
    • Days  5,6: Walk 1 mile, then run 4 minutes, power walk 1' for 30 minutes. 

Then you should be back!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Excellent! Thanks Coach P, I will follow your suggested "gradual return" 
    Thanks
    Abbey
  • Options
    @Abbey Bonner - Great! Can I stalk you on strava?  I just requested....
  • Options
    Sure! I have approved you on Strava
  • Options
    I was out for 20 mins on my gradual return walk/run #1. Walking 1 mile took 17 minutes. Should I have cut the initial walk to 12minutes to make the total time 15 minutes?
  • Options
    @Abbey Bonner - not an issue this early. As the miles get longer, and you adapt, yes you can do that. Let's see how you do towards the end of week two!
  • Options
    Hi Coach P.
    I will do my last walk/run of my gradual run return on Thursday (4th May).  

My foot appears to be OK, so I think I can have a green light to start running.  

Please can you advise how I should integrate my running back into my training plan? (I am on week 3 of the Get Faster Intermediate Plan) ?
  • Options
    @Abbey Bonner - AWESOME SAUCE. You have been very patient, young grasshopper. Nicely done!

As for moving forward, I see the GF INT plan has:
    • Tuesday Intervals
    • Thursday Long run / Tempo Finish
    • Friday Strides
    • Saturday Brick
    First, I don't want you running with intensity until 5/15, and those will be STRIDES at the end of each run (think 4 x 30")...so all running at TRP. 

I like the following for this week and next:
    • Tuesday TRP run of 30 to 45 minutes. 
    • Thursday TRP run of 30 to 45 minutes. 
    • Saturday Brick run of 30 minutes.  
    Then starting 5/15 you can add the strides to the end (for two weeks)...

Then we can connect when you hit Week 7 to see if we can include some Zone 3 time...in the meantime, keep crushing that bike!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Thank you  :)
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2017 2:26PM
    Hi Coach P,
    I will need my Training Season Plan updated soon please.  

I am racing Vichy 70.3 on 26th August.  Then I'll have a week's holiday in France.  

My next race will be Challenge Peguera-Mallorca (70.3) on 14th October 2017.  

The bike is a hilly one.  I have got local hilly routes so I plan to hit the hills for the bike training for this race, but will need some advice from you on this ie: should I still follow the total times for the weekend bike rides and accept the reduced distance or make them longer?

I've got the time so I have no problem with making them longer.  I just need advice on whether it is worth it or not?

This race is not on my Training Season Plan, so please could you update this for me sometime? (obviously no rush as I need to get Vichy done first).

Thanks
    Abbey
  • Options
    @Abbey Bonner - happy to help...but we don't see the Season Plan format anymore...but I can tell you what to do here!  :smile:

This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Races

• Vichy 70.3 on 26th August.  
    • Week's holiday in France.  
    • Challenge Peguera-Mallorca (70.3) on 14th October 2017.  

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 08/09/2017 
    • Continue on your plan through Vichy 70.3
    • Take the full week off in France.
    • Load the 70.3 plan to end on 15th October. 

Coach Notes

I hope things are going well with your training and that you feel ready for your raceIn two weeks. After you race, you can take a full week off. I want you to be active, but you don't have to do any set workouts!!!

When you come back to training....

1. First week is just for time, not effort...get loose again!
    2. You then have three good weeks of training...and yes, bike the hills and accept the reduced distance. We just want you to get "fluent" riding on hills.
    3. 7 days out you can do you final Race Rehearsal for the bike, but really no run...the Sunday off...and then you taper. 
    Also, we'll need to take into account any nutritional or execution related changes on your mind after your race...

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Thanks Coach P, I'll follow your guidance. Good luck in your Ironman this weekend!
  • Options
    @Abbey Bonner -  thank you for the well wishes! Don't forget my tiny note there at the bottom – if you have any changes you need to make to Nutrition) or pacing with in the context of a race, let me know.

For example some people struggle with and bike pacing or hill pacing, sometimes they can't handle the nutrition etc. if there are any edits we are here to help!
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Currently I am in my 5th week of Run Durability 5 x runs per week 15 miles per week (1st 4 x weeks were 12.5 miles per week) +

2 x Bikes per week (~50 miles) +
    1 x Swim per week (~3000m)

2017 was my first year as an EN member and 3rd year of 70.3 Distance triathlons. I participated in:
    1. a “Long weekend” which consisted of a 2.4 mile swim on the Saturday & 112 mile bike on the Sunday +
    2. Ironman 70.3 Vichy (5:46:29) +
    3. Challenge Peguera Mallorca 70.3 (6:19:47)

I want to step things up (distance-wise) in 2018 by doing the Long Course weekend in July with an ultimate aim of doing Challenge Venice (my first full iron Distance Tri) in 2019. As well as the Long Course Weekend in 2018 I still plan on doing 2 x 70.3’s. One on May and the other in October.

Your Races

• 05/20/2018 (triathlon) Swashbuckler Middle Distance 

• 07/13-15/2018 Long Course Weekend (Iron Distance) 2.4 mile swim (Friday), 112 mile bike (Saturday), 26.2 mile run (Sunday). Not sure if you class this as a triathlon or “other” event: http://lcwwales.com/about/

• October Half, TBD

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

•  Last updated by Coach on 11/20/2017

•  On 11/27/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/24/2017

• On 12/25/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/21/2018

• >> Transition Early << 

• On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018

• On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018

• On 4/23/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 5/20/2018

• On 5/21/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 6/3/2018

• On 5/28/2018 Load the Beginner EN*Full, Minimalist, 12 Weeks to end on 7/15/2017

• On 7/16/2017 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/12/2017       

Coach Notes

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/s1y8cgtsa4?embedType=iframe&amp;seo=false&amp;videoFoam=true&amp;videoWidth=400

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Thanks Coach P,
    This looks good and makes sense.

I appreciate your input and I’m excited for 2019!
    Abbey
  • Options

@Abbey Bonner -

Sorry for the TSR delay..here we go!!!

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Ok, I think you have outlined a great plan so far for 2019. The key, as you noted, is staying healthy. To help with that,I 'd like you to focus on the bike in the OS, and really only work on consistent running in the Winter vs the speed. Almost an extension of what you were working on in the Run Durability Program (RDP) .

I haven't created the Minimalist plan yet, so chill for me on that one Until I am ready.

In addition to your race, I encourage you to find one or two longer rides (Sportives?) so you can get in some bike volume without the pressure of IM pacing; it would be a nice build for you.

Another key will be working on that lower leg flexibility Thoughout the year...are you on that plan? Let me know what you are up to!

Your Races

• Challenge Roth (2019-07-07) #Challenge_Roth_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 01/07/2019
    • On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 4/15/2019 Load the    EN Full, Minimalist, 12 Weeks to end on 7/7/2019
    • On 7/8/2019  Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/4/2019

Your Notes

Recent race history:

2018: Long Course Weekend Wales (Iron Distance triathlon with each discipline spread over 3x consecutive days), 2 x 70.3 Triathlons &a cross country half Marathon.

2017: 2 x 70.3 Triathlons & an Iron Distance Swim & Bike spread over 2x consecutive days.

2016: 2 x 70.3 Triathlons.

2015: 1x 70.3 Triathlon.

Current Fitness:

I have been following the RDP plans since the last week of October.Due to a couple of incomplete training weeks I have not moved onto RDP3 but I have carried on with an extension of RDP 2. Currently running 5x per week, 16.5 miles a week. Cycling 2x week, total 3 hours a week.

Injuries 2018

Last year I had 2 x running related injuries; both occurred during training sessions involving running intervals. Happily I am fully recovered from both but I am conscious of the need yo keep my run training fairly conservative to prevent reoccurrence. Injuries were: hamstring Tendinopathy 6 weeks after my Long Course weekend (September) and Calf Strain in March (weeks 8-10 of Outseason)See above for current fitness. Note last year I followed the IM Minimalist traing plan in preparation for the Lng Course Weekend. This suited me and I would like to follow this again in prep for Roth.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Happy New Year Coach P!
    Thank you, I appreciate your guidance.
    Abbey
  • Options

Of course! And keep those pictures coming. Love to see how much fun you guys are having with your training. #RoleModelS

• Options
    edited March 5, 2020 8:14PM

@ABBEY BONNER Welcome back! I am moving this thread to the NEW Member Forum so you get welcome support from @matt limbert As we get you up to speed.

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 05/17/2020 Triathlon Immortal Stourhead Half
    • 08/01/2020 IM Estonia [Main Race] 

Your Notes

Hey Coach P, it’s good to be back! 

Most of my history is below. For 2020 I will be doing my 2nd full IM. I’d like to think an achievable aim would be a time of under 13:08. My secret aim is to get under 13 hours! I also have a local half distance Tri planned in May. I’m using this as a warm-up for the Full.

I plan on following the Minimalist Training plans; these fit my schedule well. First, the Minimalist Half followed Byrne Minimalist Full.

2019:

• Challenge Roth 2019: 13:18 (1st full distance)

2018;

• Long Course Weekend Wales
    • Wales Dragon Ride sportive
    • Local Half Distance Tri: 5:42 (short bike, long run)
    • Challenge Peguera Mallorca ( half distance Tri)
    • Coastal Trail half marathon

2017:

• IM Vichy 70.3: 5:46 (PR)
    • Challenge Peguera Mallorca (half)

2016:

• IM Vichy 70.3: 6:03
    • Local Half distance Tri

2015:

• Various sprint Tri’s
    • London Triathlon (Olympic distance)
    • IM 70.3 Barcelona 7:08

Injuries: various leg overuse injuries over the years. Usually running related. Injury free iin the past 12 months!Swimming 2 x week: Masters

• Cycling 3 x week: 1 x Hiit, 1 x recover, 1 x long (approx 2/3 hours)
    • Running: 3 x week: 1 x speed work, 1 x brick (20min) , 1 x long (approx 1:30 hours

Total: approx 7/8 hours per week

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on March 5, 2020

• On 3/2/2020  Load the  -- EN Half Minimalist, 12wks to end on 5/17/20
    • On 5/18/2020 Load the  -- EN Full Minimalist, 12wks to end on 8/2/2020
    • On 8/3/2020  Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/30/2020

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
    • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
    • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
    • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
    • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
    • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
    • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
    • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
    • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P