3:46:02 Marine Corps Marathon 2015

13.1 Best Time in Last Five Years

1:41:05 DC rock and roll 2016

Your Strongest Discipline *

Swim

Your Weakest Discipline *

Run

Your Weakest Discipline: Tell Us More... *

I have a heavy frame, the least i can weight without feeling weak is 172lb, if it gets too hot i loose a lot of fluid. I've gotten better over the years but i always try to nail the swim and the bike to have a good lead on the fast runners. 

The bike is not my weakest but i need to work on my power.

Your Injury / Difficulty History *

I've been lucky enough to stay healthy over the years. Last year i had tennis elbow on my right arm, i went to therapy and issue was fixed.

Top Three Lessons Learned in your triathlon career. *

Leaner is faster.

Never try anything new on race day, practice or eat it for at least a month before the race.

Do your homework, study the course, know your competitors, and monitor the weather to adjust the nutrition and fluids.

Your Top Three Races / Events this Season (with dates):

I am transfering this summer, still waiting for orders (military), probably Miami but will know for sure in march. At that point i will add more races.

1) 70.3 Chattannoga 20May17

2) Escape to Miami 24Sept17 (oly)

3) 70.3 Miami 22Oct17 

Comments

• 02/08/2017  Call Notes

Great to talk with you today. I am really excited about your early-season target for Chattanooga 70.3. I think it's a big enough to be ambitious but not so big as to be impossible.

I think your swim is all set, but I'd like to see your bike improve by ~10 minutes  and the run by 5', so you can set some mental goals around that. 

Here are my recommendations over the next month:
    • Start wearing that heart rate monitor and capturing all of the data. Especially during the Rock'n Roll Half Marathon in March.
    • Let's set some pacing targets for that RnR 13.1... If you want to run closer to eight tens in Chattanooga, that means 7:30 to 7:40 per mile at RnR. That would mean sub 1:39 (vs your PR of 1:41).  Of course that assumes you have some solid race fitness right now, I don't want you to go nuts trying to achieve that goal… it's just meant to be a marker. Even if you get the last half or third at the pace I'd be happy.
    • Set your Strava run target to be 20 miles. That's what I'd like you to try and shoot for every week... At least until we talk next.
    • Please enter your initial out season test data into the Heads and Tails spreadsheet here. I'd like to be able to give you some targets for the end of the OutSeason®.

Please let me know if you have anymore of these big picture questions here in this post. Otherwise, for the weekly changes and support please head over to the Micro Forum. Looking forward to seeing what we can do together!

~ Coach P

Ps totally following you on strava now!  :sweat_smile:
  • edited March 15, 2017 8:35PM
    @Lemuel Beauchamp - Great to talk with you again today. I can hear by your voice is your little disappointed in your recent half marathon performance, but don't get too upset. As I mentioned the weather in the wind really sucked into you, I think your overall training is really solid. 

Here's the pacing chart I mentioned...

I have a video for you here on the Choo Bike course that should help: 

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/jprjk03c1q?embedType=async&seo=false&videoWidth=800

Since you are transitioning to the HALF plan, there's likely to be some friction with your week. So don't be afraid to take an early Sunday off just to get your head sorted out. A long year lies ahead!

Here's my homework for you: 
    • Make sure all of your bike workouts are syncing properly to Strava, I want to advise you on the power.
    • Continue to push the run to that 20 mpw target...you've been pretty good for 4 weeks but we need to keep stacking it up. 
    Nice work!

~ Coach P
  • @CoachPatrick homework 1 done, i uploaded the Choo bike course on strava as well as the missing trainer rides. Thanks for the podcast, now you have the missing piece to make me a world class... who am i kidding ;) .I will keep working on my bike intervals and runs... standing by Coach!

Cheers

Lemuel 
  • @Lemuel Beauchamp - awesome...you are on your way. I am officially stalking you now!!!  Until our next call...

~ Coach P
  • @Lemuel Beauchamp -

When you have time I'd appreciate some feedback Elite*EN via this survey. This is a free 3-month pilot before we roll it out to select parts of the Team (Year 3+ folks) as a paid service. Thanks!

~ Coach P
  • @Lemuel Beauchamp -- Great to talk with yesterday. I think you're in a great place heading into Chattanooga. With your express on the course in a new set of data points to follow, I expect that those run  splits will still look strong at the end despite the terrain.

Don't forget that the heat will still be a factor. Take time in the early miles of the run to get cool and hydrated so you're prepared for the work that will happen at the end of the day. 

I can't wait to hear all about it!

~ Coach P

Ps - if you have any last minute questions, don't hesitate to reach out!
  • @Lemuel Beauchamp - Thanks for the post race debrief. I am super impressed with the bike time improvement...that's a huge leap forward for you and it's here to stay.

As for the stomach issues on the run, well...that's got to go. 

As you noted that you use InfinIT Endurance…very light. Then Carbo Pro (salt stick chewable) + honey stinger gels. I would like to see you move over to Gatorade Endurance and Power Gels (they have good sodium to keep you happy) and we can see how your body adapt to that fuel. 

Speaking of adaptation, you have quite a few weeks ahead of you! I think that you would benefit from a run block right now. I recommend you load, after this weekend is done, the Run Durability Program 2, to end on 7/2. Don't do the hard runs yet (make them easy) but lets get the run going so you can maintain fitness and stay loose without burning tons of time. Once you are settled in July we can revisit it. 

Please schedule your next call for late june / early july!  https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min

~ Coach P

This discussion has been closed.