Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

MY FIRST CROSS RACE

First off a disclaimer.......

Never done a cross race and rode a bike I had never ridden.  Race was at 11:30 on Sunday morning and I talked myself into it about 10am.  Grabbed the wife's bike and hauled a--down to the LBS to sign up!  Luckily, the race was taking place in an undeveloped series of lots right close to LBS.  To top it off, there was 3 inches of fresh snow on the ground, starting to rain and wind was blowing!!  According to the cross crowd...conditions were perfect!

I entered Master's Men 40-49 which was a 45 minute race.  Winner went 7 laps and was about 3/4 lap in front of the rest of us.  Holy Cr--, a cross race is a "redline" start to finish!!  Bike handling skills are at a premium and having spent the last 4 weeks on the trainer.....let's just say there were a few "foot daps" by yours truly.  Not cool.....according to the "cross crowd"!! 

Course was mixture of spots you had to dimount and run up some big piles of dirt, spots of turned over sand/gravel that looked remarkably like quicksand to me!  In addition, owner of the LBS had a "corkscrew" that took you in 3 concentric circles to the inside where you made a 180 and went opposite way out!  Lots of tight turns and nasty, sloppy corners.  Luckily for me I kept the rubber side down the entire time.  By the time we were into the 3rd lap, it was steadily raining and course was a nightmare! 

All in all, ton of fun and one hell of a workout.  Just above freezing for the entire race and between shivering, racing, redlining the hr and using muscles I don't normally use I was worked!!  Useless on the couch for the entire evening!!

Wasn't sporting the colors (too cold) so nobody saw an ENer not up front!!

Comments