3:12 Chicago 2014

13.1 Best Time in Last Five Years

1:33 within the Chicago Marathon

Your Strongest Discipline *

Run

Your Weakest Discipline *

Bike

Your Weakest Discipline: Tell Us More... *

I have been putting all the work on the bike and I can't seem to find a way to get faster. My avg time during IM is always between 5:40-5:55, I am pretty sure I have the capacity to go way faster.. but can't figure out.

Your Injury / Difficulty History *

knocking wood on that

Top Three Lessons Learned in your triathlon career. *

Patience, consistency, stick to the plan

Your Top Three Races / Events this Season (with dates):

so far:

70.3 Tremblant June 26
140.6 Tremblant August 20

Would like to throw in a gravel bike race in the fall as well.

Comments

• Options
    02/14/2017 Call Notes

2016 was first year on Team, and first year serious training. Overall Racing in 2016: Better in AZ than IMMT (weather)

On the Swim…

Pool swim is no problem. Wetsuit swims slow him down (1:10). Open water doesn’t translate. How to improve that? 

On the Bike…

Focused between IMMT and AZ; was more trainer time. Logistics are really hard to get in bike training. Did more trainer time.  Hasn’t gotten faster on the bike, so looking for 5 hour power. 

Bike Equipment:  Flo Disk, Ultegra, (flo wheel upgrade in front?).  Power2Max pwoermeter. Garmin 520.  

On the Run…

Ran a 3:40 in perfect AZ conditions. But open marathon best is a 3:10. 

Nutrition Plan... 

Losing focus on the last 60 to 90 minutes…doesn’t want it anymore, etc.  On the run he doesn’t feel great on the run, but eats what on the course. Coke around mile 17ish. Tries 2 bottles an hour (can only do gels and clif bloks). Has to be easy to digest.   He does infinIT. No caffeine in race week, restart on race AM. Caffeine gel into swim. 

Race Goals...

IMMT 70.3® is fourth time doing the race….target should be 4:45 to coincide with a 10:10 FULL IMMT Target. 

Plan for Feb / March: 

You are halfway through the OutSeason®. I'd like to see you make the following changes:

• Race Nutrition for every session, as best you can. 
    • Cap the weekly run at 35 miles (you don't need to do more than that please). 
    • For Weeks 9-14 on the Bike, make Thursday sessions be 4 x 4' (6') @ 110% FTP (not VO2). 

Open Questions & Items:

+ Front Cassette ….  What is the current gearing to match the 11/28 on the rear?

+ Bike pictures of you from race day please.

+ infinIT nutrition values for carbs, sodium. 

+ when do you plan to start swimming again (I don't see it in Strava). 

+ what core / strength work are you doing? 

Next Call should be for mid-March, you can schedule it here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min

• Options
    2/14/2017 Follow up call questions.

Patrick, here are the answers to your questions.

Open Questions & Items:

+ Front Cassette ….  What is the current gearing to match the 11/28 on the rear? 11/28 on the rear and 52/36 in the front.

+ Bike pictures of you from race day please. You can find some there : http://www.finisherpix.com/photos/my-photos/currency/USD/pctrl/Photos/paction/search/pevent/ironman-arizona-2016/pbib/859.html

+ infinIT nutrition values for carbs, sodium. see attached file.

+ when do you plan to start swimming again (I don't see it in Strava). Rich has me start swimming again on 4/17 with swim camp plan

+ what core / strength work are you doing? None at all, hardfly have time to add this.

Will also make the recommanded changes.

• Options
    Not sure if It should go here or on the regular forums.. but will here for our next call.

Run volume : I am on target of 35MPW except last week which was test week, as such we had a lower volume.
    Vdot : beginning os OS : 45, last week test : 47, last year high was 51 (but I was running on dry surface, this year its all ice and snow!)
    FTP : beginning os OS : 245, last week test : 255, last year high was 275

General comments :
    1) I will start the vo2 hack this week.
    2) Bit worried concerning my bike fitness level, still far from last year highest FTP 
    3) Will resume swimming soon, plan suggest 2X/week, should we replace one swim for a bike ?
    4) My run when its on dry surface is faster than last year.

Thanks!

• Options
    Patrick,

see attached for the infinit
  • Options
    @Francis Picard -- 

Great to catch up today! I really like where you were headed right now it is fitness. As I mentioned with the review of your PMC, you have a lot of good fatigue in your system and can't get too greedy too early. Or at least you can't without paying a price!

You have five more weeks left until your final test. Ideally you stay away from the swim right now to maximize your games on the bike. I think long term this is the best decision. 

As I mentioned today, I would rather have for good the O2 intervals then one good one and three bad ones.So this week you should try get to 85 in the next two weeks you can shoot for 290. Hopefully by test time you will be ready to shoot for 270. That's a stretch but not out of reach. The key doing this right is to make sure that you really focus on a low HR in the “OFF” intervals for the VO2 hack. 

Recommendation on the bike fit with an example. Turtle Time. Here's my video for you:

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/rrd4qo12j8?embedType=async&seo=false&videoWidth=800

On the nutrition side, I don't think you need 6 g of protein per bottle. You could probably get away with just four or even three. If your hungry on race day then it's a function of you not eating enough not using protein. Especially the version that infinIT uses, it's not necessarily palatable for most. 

I am assuming that you're getting another bottle or least half a bottle worth of water and during this time what should make this a successful nutrition plan. Obviously you can double down on the infinite if you're thirstier because it will spike your calories. And you would run out sooner. 

Your Homework: 

• Continue to log those steady miles. We don't want any more flash, just steady. If you can keep it up for the end of the off season you will be an excellent place for year, I promise!
    • I would like you to schedule a sweat test before you finish the OutSeason®. It could be the last portion of your week 13 Saturday ride when you go steady. That would give me a Good sense for what your fluid losses are, and how we need to accommodate them on a warmer race day. 
    • Make those bike adjustments as listed above and give me feedback.

Don't forget to schedule your third(And final free call) with me for mid April. You can do that here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min 

Onwards!!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the call! always fun to talk with you.

1) I made the changes to the bars setup as recommanded to try to be 90degrees angle with the elbows.
    2) On the nutrition side, will try to go lower on the protein when ordering my next mix next week, will see how it goes, and you a right, I am getting about 3/4 of bottle of water.
    3) Will do the sweat test before test week and will be able to adjust nutrition if needed before going outside
    4) looking fwd to our next call!
  • Options
    Patrick,

dunno if should check in here or in the micro but doing it here:

for the VO2 ride: is that what you would like to keep me doing :smile:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/915473335/laps

Thanks for your input !
  • Options
    @Francis Picard

Time to check in post call!!!  Bummer on that FTP test but I think you likely had a 265 in you that day, so I suggest riding to that number! Hate me now, love me later. :sweat_smile:

Focus Points:

Getting your 13.1 Run Time Down: Now that the OS is over, you'll be moving into the Half Plan. I'd like you to spend time running off the bike on at your target race pace for a 1:30 half. The way we will hack this is run walk. Run a 7:00 mile, walk 1 minute.

First 2 weeks after swim camp is only on the short bricks, but I want you to get comfortable in that 6:50 to 7:00 range. So bricks are out/back so out to warm up, back at 7s. If you need a bit more walk time, ok, but the distance is so short you should be ok. Rest of run time is at TRP.

Starting in May, you can add this run/walk into your weekly long run:
    • 5/01: 2 miles at pace
    • 5/08: 4 miles at pace
    • 5/15: 2 miles at pace (down week)
    • 5/22: 4 miles at pace
    • 5/29: 6 miles at pace
    • 6/05: 8 miles at pace
    • 6/12: 8 miles at pace
    Improved Bike Pacing: Looking back at your race from 2016, it's clear you were sort of all over the place with the pacing. This not only undermines the last portion of your bike but also really hurts your run. Your goal this year will be to have a much steadier 30 km in the middle on 117.Once you start climbing up the big hill, I want you to set up an to spend it out. You have plenty of opportunities on the run to make up if this is too easy.

Here is my screencast for you: https://goo.gl/Rl0aZ5 

Note, I went to look at your run file from 2016, GREAT run, but you faded in the last 6km...this bike pacing strategy should really help. 

VO2 in the Half Plan: I am not sold on the VO2 in the bike plan yet. Let's see what the first few weeks of your new FTP feel like!  :smile:

Onwards!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @Francis Picard -- 

When you have time I'd appreciate some feedback Elite*EN via this survey. This is a free 3-month pilot before we roll it out to select parts of the Team (Year 3+ folks) as a paid service. Thanks!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Also, what I get from your post...... I GOTTA LEARN to ride a bike hah... really.

I adjusted my FTP to 265 watts

Noted for the change in the long run, will do that.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.