Home Coach*EN 🔒
Options

Barbara Feinstein - 2017 Season EN Elite

2017 Intake Form

Age Group, Height and Weight.

AG: 50 - 54 (DOB 2/21/67); 5'5", Currently 128 lbs, racing weight closer to 125 lbs.

140.6 Best Time in Last Five Years

Never done one

70.3 Best Time in Last Five Years

6:25:46 - Challenge Atlantic City 2015

Oly Best Time in Last Five Years

2:40:16 - 2014 Tri National Championships

26.2 Best Time in Last Five Years

Not done

13.1 Best Time in Last Five Years

1:37:05 3/6/16 E. Murray Todd Half Marathon

Your Strongest Discipline *

Run

Your Weakest Discipline *

Swim

Your Weakest Discipline: Tell Us More... *

Open water averages are slower than pool. I worked with a swim coach this winter who improved my technique and reduced by average 100 Yd. time to about 1:40. I've swam 1:35, but not consistent and have swam some 3:20 200s, not consistently. Those are all on 30" rest. Still working on figuring out how to string those times together. I am willing to do the work.

Your Injury / Difficulty History *

Bad fall in 2010 Nations Tri - eventually had left knee and right hip surgeries. Left knee had 2nd surgery - still have a meniscus tear, but can run. Early in this Outseason, I felt something in my right hamstring/hip, but didn't take enough time off to let it heal (I love to run). I'm now paying the price. Right hip is still sore, so I ended OS running early and am trying to get my hip to heal.

Top Three Lessons Learned in your triathlon career. *

- Nutrition is super important for me at any distance - before, during and after.
- I have to listen to my body and not always push through pain (I have a very high tolerance for pain). I can overtrain. As I've aged it takes longer for an injury to heal.
- I am very disciplined and great at following a training plan and coach advice.

Your Top Three Races / Events this Season (with dates):

NJ State Triathlon Olympic/Sprint double - 7/22, 7/23
USA Tri Worlds - Draft Legal Sprint - Rotterdam, Netherlands - 9/17
Still working on a third - crazy year with family stuff - hopefully Nationals in Nebraska in August

Would like to do a HIM, but can't seem to find one that works with my schedule.

Comments

• Options
    @Barbara Feinstein

Great to talk with you and kick this off, even if you aren't "going long" this year I hope that I can add some value for you en route to worlds. 

Background: 
    • Not doing super long half this year...
    • Going to worlds in 2017 (new age group!)
    • Has nationals earlier (if healthy) and likely a few sprints, etc. 
    • Fall Ride for JRDF (not hard) culminating in big Amelia Island ride in October.
    • Hamstring Treatment continues...
    • 03/29/2017  PFP shot in hamstring, not concerned about run.  
    • Crutches for 3-4 days thru 4/1
    • Ease back in to some running 2 weeks...could take up to six weeks. 
    I am glad we discussed your FTP issues; I believe a new Wahoo firmware update was published on 3/29, so hopefully you are all caught up. It's my understanding that every time you login, the firmware is corrected if needed. Also, a spindown calibration might be in order if you haven't done one in a while. 

Your Short Term Focus = Get Run Healthy
    This means centering time around the work required to care for your hammy and baby it back to some semblance of strength. Along the way we can swim and ride, but the run stuff / self care has to happen. 

This is what I see:
    • 3/27 = Shot and Recovery
    • 4/3 = 4 x 30 minute walks.
    • 4/10 = 4 x 30' as 10' walk warm up,  5 x 1' jog / 1' walk, 10' walk warm down.
    • 4/17 = 4 x 30' as 10' walk warm up, 8 x 1' jog / 1' walk, 4' walk warm down.
    • 4/24 = 4 x 30' as 10' walk warm up, 6 x 1.5' jog / 1' walk, 5' walk warm down.
    • 5/1 = 4 x 30' as 10' walk warm up, 8 x 1.5' jog / 30" walk, 4' walk warm down.
    • Move to warm ups with 20' runs, etc.
    The Actual Plan

You are on GetFast, which is okay. Let's modify it a bit. I'd like the 3 swims to focus you (don't have to do them all hard, but 3 x Swims is good).  Four bikes to keep that rolling...and then your walks. If you need a day off, drop a swim/walk day!

Mon - Swim + Walk
    Tue - Interval Bike from Wed Here
    Wed - Swim + Walk
    Thu - Bike Day, your choice of effort based on how you feel.
    Fri - Swim + Walk
    Sat - Ride as planned + Walk
    Sun - 1.5 to 2.5 hour ride, easy.

Additional Training Peaks Magic

I messed around with Training Peaks to get it set...so you now have:

• A Performance Manager Chart for all sports at the top;
    • A PMC for Bike only below it;
    • A Peak Power Chart to show where you need to focus on training (looks like that 30" to 8' zone needs some love)
    • And a Swim Distance Tracker so we can watch you build it back up again.

Remaining Items
    • We'll need to consider how you will race given you typically run folks down; how to handle it now with a different "Balance" between disciplines?
    • You mentioned AquaBikes...were there any in particular you were considering? 

Hope your recovery continues!

~ Coach P

• Options
    @Barbara Feinstein

When you have time I'd appreciate some feedback Elite*EN via this survey. This is a free 3-month pilot before we roll it out to select parts of the Team (Year 3+ folks) as a paid service. Thanks!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    I have 2 weeks left of the Get Faster Plan and was then scheduled for the Intermediate Short course, starting with week 13. I have not been able to run due to very slow progress with my hamstring/hip injury, despite finishing up with 4 weeks of PT. However, I have been on the elliptical at a good effort for up to 70 minutes. My swimming is continuing to improve with help from a swim coach as well as continued work on the bike (mostly indoors due to poor weather). I am seeing doc this Wednesday and hope to try running again.

Given no HIM scheduled due to conflict with Worlds, Short Course plan makes sense, but not sure where I should start and finish. My first currently scheduled races are Mid-July NJ State Tri - Sprint Saturday, Olympic Sunday (run part may be a walk/run).

Coach input would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.