Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

2017 EN March Run Challenge

edited February 20, 2017 8:04PM in Community Forum 🏠
Hi Team, well this is the last of the Official Team Challenges. I'm not saying one or two more may not pop up. It is our 10th Anniversary after all, but this is the last one on the Official Calendar we put together back in the fall.

Image result for half marathon inspiration

March 3/1 - 3/31 EN Half Marathon Challenge
We recommend a Half Marathon at the end of the Winter/start of the Season, so here’s your chance. 

Pick your race and then see if you can run your predicted Half Marathon Time off of your 5k OutSeason® vDOT!

Sign up HERE. When you are done, share your results on the tracker as well as in this forum with pics or videos please.  

Comments

• Options
    edited February 20, 2017 9:01PM
    I signed up for the Lake Sammamish Half Marathon on March 4. I haven't done a clean HM in a while. My best HM time (2:20) is MUCH slower than you'd expect from my 5K VDot of 41 (projected HM time of 1:49). We'll see how it goes!
  • Options
    Exciting Scott.
  • Options
    Running Myrtle Beach Half on March 4th.  Will be my first open half.
  • Options
    I'm doing the Hillbilly Half Marathon on March 4th but it's a trail HM so I don't expect to do anything near my predicted time. I'm also doing Puerto Rico 70.3 so I'll have 2 HMs in March. 
  • Options
    I am doing a half on the 18th.  It also a trail.  Looking forward to everyone's reports!
  • Options
    Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon in DC on March 11... good timing for the EN March Run Challenge!
  • Options
    Racing a local favorite on March 26th - Rock CF (Cyctic Fribosis)  Sure hope I can run my Vdot pace!  
  • Options

1/2 Mary on 3/4/2017.

• Options
    St Paddy's 1/2 in Tacoma on Mar 11
  • Options
    I don't think I'm gonna get a half marathon in in March but I may try to find a 10K!
  • Options
    I just signed up for the Doc Lopez Run for Health. Local race, been around for years, but this is my first time doing it. It's March 18th, so it will likely be cold. It's a point-to-point race, the first mile is flat, then four miles uphill, and eight miles down. I've ridden it from the other direction many times. I'm not sure of the elevation gain, but I've hit 47 mph going down on my bike. And I'm a lightweight. So, I'm not expecting a PR, but we'll see.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2017 11:31AM
    Ive entered the Bournemouth Bay Half Marathon 2 April. I realise this just misses the March challenge ... ah well
  • Options
    I am in for the challenge of running but not in for a half marathon at the end.  Just doing this to build consistency!  :-)
  • Options
     They're predicting snow during my HM tomorrow morning. :o I'm not a fan of running in the snow!
  • Options
    @Scott Imlay what HM are you doing tomorrow? Susan and I are doing the Hillbilly Half in the Capitol Forest and it goes above 1000 feet. I'm sure we'll see snow which I'm not excited about either.
  • Options
    Boston:  April :)  just did Austin Half.  worst time ever.  record max heart rate.  slow!!!  Hot!  
  • Options
    I am signed up for March Madness in Cary, IL on 3/19.  Hilly but fun!
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2017 12:15AM

Mark, I'm doing the Lake Sammamish Half - from Redmond to Issaquah. I've investigated further, and I don't think we'll have snow down in the valley by the lake, but they may have snow showers on the Sammamish Plateau just east of us.

King5 is predicting the snow levels to drop to between 500 and 1000 feet Saturday morning. The snow showers look to be a convergence-zone effect, so you may be OK in the South Sound.

I just checked-out the Hillbilly Half web site. I looks like fun!  Enjoy!

• Options
    @Scott Imlay the race starts at 500 and goes up from there. It's also in the wettest part of the county (over 90 inches of rain per year) so it's likely to be cold and damp. The good thing is that it's mostly in the woods so the snow may not get down to the trail.
  • Options
    Oh no Patricia. What do you think caused the high heart rate?
  • Options
    1/2 Marathon done this morning, new PR!!! Work works!!!
  • Options
    I ran the Lake Sammamish HM this morning. The weather was perfect and it felt great. My Garmin says I finished in just under 1:49 - a new PR! Work works indeed! :)
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2017 10:38PM
    Did the  Hillbilly Half Marathon yesterday. There was sun, snow, mud, huge puddles, places where the streams were running down the trail, snow covered portions, gravel roads and clouds/fog that reduced visibility to a quarter mile. The first half was mostly uphill and the last half downhill. It was fun and today I'm more sore than after an Ironman, although not quite as tired. 2:22.xx and I negative split it, duh.
    Check out my run on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/887677651/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1488658546

• Options
    Ran Myrtle Beach Half Marathon on Saturday (03/04).  Was my first open half marathon.  1:29:38!  Sub 1:30!!!  I can't believe it.  I set breaking 1:30 as a crazy, long shot goal.  Would have been thrilled with all miles sub 7.  My previous best for the distance was 1:32:34 during marathon training last year.  Got in the starting corral next to the 1:30 pacer and told myself to just hang on to him as long as I can.  It was everything I had the last mile and a half to not fall behind him.  With a half mile to go he started to move away from me.  I literally ran the last .5 with my eyes closed taking a periodic 1 eyed peak to make sure I was still going straight.  I reeled him in and then passed him with .1 to go. 

The pacer ran it with a shoe untied for the last 7 miles and took a potty break at mile 8.  And he didn't have a drop of sweat on him.  Freak.

https://www.strava.com/activities/887276584
  • Options

@Brian, strong work right there!!!

• Options
    edited March 18, 2017 8:52PM

Runners so far have done great! Excited for my turn in a couple of weeks!

Did my race today.  Trail run/mileage was a hair under and not quite 13.1. All the soft sand made up for the missing .2 miles! Came in first in my AG too.  Would guess my Vdot was about the same.  All in all, a great morning!

• Options
    Completed my HM today.  Shamrock HM in Virginia Beach.  It rained almost the entire race, had 15 mph winds and the real feel was 35 degrees.  Once I accepted the crappy conditions after a few miles, it wasn't too bad.  My VDOT predicted time is 1:28:31 and I ended up with a 1:28:09, which is about 20 seconds off my PR.   I'm very happy with my time, especially dealing with less than ideal conditions.   
    https://www.strava.com/activities/906131261

• Options
    @Derrek great work!
  • Options
    oh, I put response to your question on your page, Brenda.  Short answer? it was hot :)

• Options
    Ran Rock CF yesterday.  Hit my Vdot prediction.  I've run it since it's first year and have had pr's and slow days.  Today was a good effort and I ran it like we are taught (mostly...went out a little too fast lol) first 3 ez, steady next 7 then pick it up the last 5k.  

I had the pleasure of being out kicked by a dear friends dad in the shoot!  I WAS faster than him about 6 or 7 years ago, then he got faster, and me ... not so much!  I was excited to be in that shoot with him for the first time in forever, said "Lets go Dad!" and well...damn if he didn't go!  I tried to hang and couldn't.  IT.WAS.AWESOME!  So fun and the best hug just after the race.  :smiley: