Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

IMAZ Race Report - getting faster as I get older!

09:42:31 TALLO DAVID M40-44 18/454 1:04:49 3:45 5:01:12 1:18 3:31:29

Overall:

*Note some numbers don't quite add up - numbers coming from different devices. 

Following EN's guidance on training and execution, I set a PB of about 30 minutes on my 10th IM.    I thought my best days were behind me.  'Thanks' doesn't even begin to cover it. 

This was the first time I raced 'blind' with no idea of my overall time until I was making my way down the chute: I used my PM to gauge my bike, my Garmin to gauge my run, but never really got around to calculating where i was during the day overall.   This trick actually worked well - I didn't get caught up in chasing an overall time, and just went with my numbers in the moment or the discipline at hand.  (I had planned to look at the OA time at mile 18 to give me a boost, but was too pooped by those last 8 to do anything except push ahead).   

Took lots of opportunties to race. running / riding the tangent on corners (inso far as it wasn't an infraction or unsafe), no washroom stops at all, and looking for any free speed possible.   But I rode clean, which was hard to do on the course and the packs.  Also looked for fast efficient transitions - 3:45 and 1:18. 

Swim long-time goal to get below 1:05.  Achieved a 1:04:49.  I'll take that.

Bike 5:01:12.  1st half: 2:41:33.   2nd half: 2:18:33.    Attribute the big difference to winds settling by mid-ride. 

Did this on a FT of 270 with a race TSS of 263 and IF of .724.   Took many opportunities to coast or soft pedal on the descents / returns to town.  Great chance to rest up and reset system.  A lot of packs in the first lap, and it was demoralizing to see this Borg moving up the road after getting spit out the back. 

Would have been nice to break 5:00.  In fact, by lap 3, it was super tough NOT to get caught up in chasing a sub 5 bike split.

Kept aero all day, and head very very low and tucked - I named it "Von Vlerkening to bike position" in honour of yvonne von vlerken.  kick ass pos'n on that woman.  

Run  3:31:29 on VDOT of 51. 

--------------------

51:30 mi 0-6 (avg pace =  8:35)

1:38:47 mi 6 - 18 (avg pace = 8:14)

1:01:22 mi 18-26.2 (avg pace = 7:29)

----------------------

1:49:24 mi 0-13.1  (avg pace =8:21)

1:41:50 mi 13.1-26.2 (avg pace = 7:46)

----------------------

HARD run course.  Call it flat if you like, but it hurt and there were a lot of characteristics to make pacing tough.  Biggest thrill of the day was getting to about mile 15 on the north side of the lake, seeing Pat and Rich, and thinking "if I'm here, and if they're here, that means they'll have to run faster than i am running to beat me to mile 18 on the south side of the lake.  And there's no way i'm going to let them do that."  That was a big boost for those dark 2 miles.  

Missed a gel at 2nd last feed stop and lifesaver racer #724 (or it could be 714 or 734) passed me one from his personal stash.  This saved my day.  This sportsmanlike gesture helped take away the bad taste I had from earlier in the day. 

Again, having no idea where i was in the course of the day, I assumed i would get in below 10, so I was jubilant for the last few miles.  Rounded the corner to see a 9:42 on the clock and I was ESTATIC. 

POSTSCRIPT

Hoped to earn a KQ, and half expected to get one when i saw my finish time.  But no such luck ... this still put me at 18th in the 40-44 AG.  Middle age dudes aren't supposed to be this fast!!!!    Congrats to all the other ENers on the course that day, and to Pat and Rich for everything.  Sorry I didn't get to beers afterwards - bumped into a friend (she's a pro who had to WD due to hypothermia on the swim), and by the time i got away, y'all were tucked in for the night.  

Comments

• Options

Super job David...especially the negative splits on the marathon...wow!   What was the water temperature?  r/Paul

• Options
    Posted By Paul Hough on 24 Nov 2009 09:26 PM

Super job David...especially the negative splits on the marathon...wow!   What was the water temperature?  r/Paul

Thanks Paul !  I had overheard the water was 62 or 63 degrees on race morning.  It actually seemed colder during the practice swims.  But I was definitely happy I had bought a neoprene cap earlier that week. 

Listened to another AGer tell her friend she put cayanne pepper cream on her body under her wetsuit to keep warm.  I don't know if I would recommend that.  

• Options

Congrats, and Nice work that is smoking fast

• Options
    Dave, Wow!! 9:41, is that even possibleimage I would need to skip 2nd half of the runimage

congrats!!! So excited for you!!

Carrie
  • Options

9:41!  That's a mile run for me.  What a fantastic job.  Kona soon.

• Options

Dave,  Just awesome to track you all day and good to see you were having a smoking day.  Just totally inspiring see you reach these type of goals and times.  It gives me huge confidence knowing I can get faster as I get older, you are proof.

AWESOME JOB DUDE!!!

• Options

Dave: Outstanding job on executing! I really like how you paced in the moment with your PM and Garmin and not having that overall time goal breathing down your neck. Also, so happy that you PR'd---gives me hope as I'm older than you!

• Options
    Dave - sorry I missed you out on the course. You were a bullet! You executed this race like a black-belt ninja. That is something we all strive for and you nailed it. Very studly!
  • Options
    Dave, very impressive race! Way to come back after racing a few months ago and crush another ironman.
  • Options
    Posted By Dave Tallo on 24 Nov 2009 09:17 PM

Run  3:31:29 on VDOT of 52. 

--------------------

51:30 mi 0-6 (avg pace =  8:35)

1:38:47 mi 6 - 18 (avg pace = 8:14)

1:01:22 mi 18-26.2 (avg pace = 7:29)

----------------------

1:49:24 mi 0-13.1  (avg pace =8:21)

1:41:50 mi 13.1-26.2 (avg pace = 7:46)

Dave, that's crazy-good!  I can say you've definitely proven your ninja skillz.  Being able to take it up to a 7:29 for the last 8.2 is unreal.

For those of us looking to learn lessons from the pointy end, do you mind if I ask how much you weigh?

Mike

• Options
    Posted By Michael Graffeo on 25 Nov 2009 09:40 AM

Dave, that's crazy-good!  I can say you've definitely proven your ninja skillz.  Being able to take it up to a 7:29 for the last 8.2 is unreal.

For those of us looking to learn lessons from the pointy end, do you mind if I ask how much you weigh?

Mike

Thanks Michael!  In season, I weigh about 150-152.  In taper and race week, I drop to 146 or so.  

• Options
    Awesome race all around Dave! I'm super impressed by your pacing and execution. Way to go!
  • Options

Congratulations on a phenomenal race, Dave!

• Options
    Great race Dave! Hard to say which was more incredible, the bike or that negative split run. Congratulations!
  • Options
    I remember watching the EN team that day, seeing your bike time and thinking "holy crap, that dude was flying." Then you did your run. AMAZING! You raced a perfect race. Definitely something to be proud of. I like that you raced with the numbers in mind that mattered for that part of the day rather than getting caught up in and distracted by that over all time. Sometimes I think that causes more stress than it needs to and takes the focus away from the job at hand. This is the type of race report that I can learn from. Thanks.

Congratulations! A great close to a challenging and rewarding season for you! Enjoy your recovery...
  • Options

Bike 5:01:12.  1st half: 2:41:33.   2nd half: 2:18:33.    Attribute the big difference to winds settling by mid-ride. 

Congratulations.  That's an outstanding race. 

On that bike course you can expect your first half time to be significantly longer than your 2nd half time because on the first half you have two inclines and one decline.  On the second half, you have one incline and two declines.  So your times are probably right on for keeping it steady.

Lowell

• Options

Getting Fasteras as you get older: I suspect that PRs are a function of racing age, not chronological age. After ten years of tris, at age 59.5, I got my1/2 and full IM PRs. Then this year at age 60, I went 1 minute slower than last year - and that's WITH a 4 minute penalty. If you've got less than 15 years of IM racing in your tank, you still have room to bring that time down. Don't settle for just holding your place. At your young age, you can still make some improvement. You're the right size, and clearly have the execution mind-set to get the Kona slot. Try a hillier course, or a hotter one.

• Options

Dave,

Really solid race!!

My comments would be the same about the run course. First off, it was nowhere near as flat as I thought it would be. I was sore for almost a full week after that race.

Looks like the execution was dead on!

Congrats!! Chris