Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Eugene Partridge Micro Thread

@eugene partridge - Great to talk today! As we discussed, I don't think you should do the HIM plan for four weeks and then the IM plan through Boulder. Your current week is pretty solid, so let's adjust that a bit and then have you plan on the IM build starting on 3/20.

Key Targets for This Week:
  • Long run of 8 miles
  • Long ride of 3 hours
  • Swim 2x
Key Targets for Next Week:
  • Long run of 10 miles
  • Long ride of 3.5 hours
  • Swim 2x
Everything else is gravy!

Please keep me posted!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Thanks got it
    swam 2600 yesterday and 8.3 mile run
    tomorrow 3.5 hours.  in the saddle
     :) 
    Gene 
  • Options
    Doing good. So far meeting my distance goals ,  looking forward to ten mile run 7 3.5 hour bike ride.  This up coming week. I have the time to get er done
  • Options
    @eugene partridge - you are right on track to get up to that IM build on 3/20...looking great! 

How did the long ride go? 

~ Coach P
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

In October going to 70.3 Austin. This was a change only because I was late in signing up for Arizona 70.3.I will be on week 6-7 out from next race.  Currently visiting my daughter in Sicily .The heat here is brutal, I get a little better each day, and try follow up my runs with open water swim .  Goal time of 6-530. 

Your Races

• 10/29/2017 70.3 Austin

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 09/11/2017 
    • Load the Intermediate EN*Half plan to end on 10/29/2018
    • On 10/20/2017 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 11/2/2017
    • On 11/3/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/30/2017
    • On 12/1/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/28/2017
    • On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018

Coach Notes

I hope you are enjoying Sicily...and that you are SAFE. I am not sure when you can head back home, but when you do, I hope things are copacetic. It's good that you are in the heat, as Austin can be temperate on race day....hopefully you are adapting and the hydration plan you have for the bike is working. 

You are entering a Bike Volume loading phase in the next week..the goal here being to raise your bike fitness just prior to peaking your run. Be sure to peak ahead so you can see what's planned. 

When you have the chance, please let me know about your run fitness and what your long run is right now (distance / time and pace please).  

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Cycling in in an around Palermo and out skirts has been eye opening, Negative, have been condition of roads," poor at best" No shoulder, and i get lost a lot, gps helps however the rides and runs along the sea and scene are marvelous.  I have done loads of open water swims, guilty of exploring the the sea life.  Today a 10-12 k run on flat terrain and 2000 y plus swim. I am looking forward to racing in Texas soon.my run fitness is good because 75% of my training is the run.  No injuries. Yea!
  • Options
    Woohoo!!!! I am so jealous....sounds like you have the perfect set up for our 2020 Italy Endurance Camp!!!!!  B)
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2018 12:48PM

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

My out season consisted of 13-14 hours training weeks, swimming 3 weekly coached swims 2000-2700 y  per session

running per EN recommendation 4 days each week about 19-15 miles per week, that distance has likely increased in past month.

Cycle: at least one 35 mile cycle out doors despite winter at least 3 indoor spin or zwift per week, at least one 5 K brick per week= 14 hours per week can be seen on Strava

Goals:

• Qualify for 70.3 Niece in 2019
    • be more engaged in EN, which I believe will lend to personal improvement.
    • Have fun.  

Your Races

Main Race:

• 7/29/2018 Calgary 70.3
    • 9/2/2018 70.3 Worlds 
    • IMAZ 2018

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 03/05/2018
    • On 11/27/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/24/2017
    • On 12/25/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/21/2018
    • >> Transition Early << 
    • On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
    • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
    • On 4/30/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 06/10/2018
    • On 6/11/2018 Load the Big Bike Week Plan, 1 Week, to end on 6/17/2018
    • On 6/18/2018 Load the Advanced EN*Half to end on 09/02/2018
    • On 9/3/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/16/2018
    • >> Transition Early << 
    • On 9/10/2018 Load the -- EN*Full, Bike Focused Plan (L2/3), to end on 11/18/2018
    • On 11/19/2018 Load the -- Post Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/16/2018
    • On 12/17/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/13/2019

Coach Notes

Welcome back @eugene partridge !! I have edited your races above based off of your season. Please note that I am presuming you are still in the OutSeason Plan right now, and planing to stay there through 4/15/18. If this isn't the case, please let me know. Then a recovery period with Swim Camp, the Bike Focus Plan, Big Bike Week Plan (some nice volume early in the year) before you pivot to focus on Worlds and IMAZ!

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

• Options
    @Coach Patrick   Got it thanks,  Eugene
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2018 7:22PM
    @eugene partridge just a reminder that when you leave a comment for Coach Patrick remember to do it this way @Coach Patrick
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2018 7:59PM
    This is a test by Brenda to see if my work behind the scenes changing the name that is displayed when Eugene creates a post. 
  • Options
    Looking good to me!!!
  • Options
    Great to talk with you yesterday! I love your enthusiasm and focus right now...I think you are in a great place, we just need to be smart across the rest of the early part of this year. Here are my notes / thoughts for you...

General Information:
    • Still working 1 day a week as Physician Assistant. 
    • Consistently training since December...great race at Lavaman (4th AG).
    Scheduling: 
    • Victoria 70.3 06/03/18 is next (early June).
    • CDA70.3™ 06/24/18...critical phase after to prep. 
    • Not sure on Calgary (wedding conflict).
    • Sept 70.3™ is the A race. 

Plan Choices [Updates]:

I say that you plan on the OutSeason®  through 4/15. Then on 4/16 you load up the 2018 EN Half Plan to end on CDA 06/24/18, which will have you train through Victoria but head to CdA in a position to crush it. 

We can take a break after the CdA race (bike bike week?) and then back into the 70.3 plan into worlds. 

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick
  • Options
    Hello Patrick, thanks for your review and thoughts on my upcoming season. I agree that as I proceed onto Victoria i& CDAI need to train smart,  not allow myself to get burned out or injured. I’ll follow your plan to load up until April 16 and then begin the training for the 70.3 in early June.  As I move forward I will be keeping up dated with you in the forums, and of course the boomers and other areas of interest. 
    Thanks very much, Eugene
  • Options
    This plan looks great, I am fit & healthy, now part of run club , what a hoot,  pationate group, very fun to try to keep up, will do my level best this season.
    see you in the forums
  • Options
     B)  FANTASTIC!!
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

I know that IMAZ was tough for you in terms of execution, but don't think you weren't ready or fit. The post race recovery period is super hard; especially when your race is that difficult. I think that you are approaching it the right way (listening to your body).

Let's not forget the importance of not overdoing it too early in all three disciplines. I'm happy to have you go overboard / focus on one, but we don't want to be a Swim/Bike/Run champ in DEC for a June race. Check out the outline below and let me know what you think.

If you need help loading the different plans into Final Surge, use the "Load Specific Weeks" info from our Help Site: https://www.endurancenation.us/help/?s=final+surge&post_type=post&txtresults=list-item&submit=Submit

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Hawaii (2019-06-02) #70.3Hawaii_19   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/22/2018
    • On 12/17/2018 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/13/2019
    • On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 3/18/2019 Load the    EN*Half Bike Focused  to end on 06/02/2019
    • On 6/3/2019  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 6/16/2019

Your Notes

IM AZ Nov 18. Preceded by IM 70.3 x 4. Most recent was S Africa worlds

I have raced IM 140.3 x 6 

I have complete at least 25 of 70.3.

I am working out about 12 hours per week

3 swim sessions close to 3000 yards, 3 bike, Zwift, spin or out side, weather and road conditions , I run 3-4 runs per week, Preferred distance is 10 K. Looking to do more speed work this year.

I am trying to improve my fitness after IM AZ. This last was kinda tough on me. My strength and energy is improving on a daily basis. I am working out about 12 hours per week

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Merry Christmas Coach Patrick, thanks so much for your guidance. Look
    forward to discussing 2018/19 on the 27th.
  • Options

Of course! Happy new year to you as well, and thanks for being so patient with the scheduling.

• Options

Hi Coach Patrick

you have answered my questions about timing. . This program should guide me nicely through my early season.

See you in the forums & the races.

• Options

Don’t forget in the video chats! Looking to line up a few more of those this year. Stay tuned.

• Options
    edited October 23, 2019 12:48AM

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Lava Man Triathalon Olympic distance March 2020 on Kona

•   Ironman 70.3 Victoria (2020-05-31) #70.3Victoria_20

•  Ironman Canada (2020-08-30) #IMCanada_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on September 28,2019
    • On 10/21/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/17/2019
    • On 11/18/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/15/2019
    • On 12/16/2019 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/12/2020
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 04/12/2020
    • On 3/16/2020 Load the    EN*Half Bike Focused  to end on 05/31/2020
    • On 6/1/2020  Load the    EN Full Run Focused to end on 08/30/2020
    • On 8/31/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/27/2020

Your Notes

IM 70.3 Honu in June 6:37

IM 70.3 CDA in Late July 6:20

IM 70.3 in in Late August 2019 6:40

OWS races 's 3 Late june, Early August and Early September

My IM fitness fell off following a MI Sept 5. I sustained no cardiac damage. and recieved 3 stents All this this despite no elevations in Lipids. Despite this I am now on statin meds, bp meds and meds to keep my stents from blocking up. I am pending Cardiac rehab when I return home from Sicily in early October.

I had a UTI, Urinary tract infection at the time of Calgary, All resolved, No lasting issues I understand this can occur in older men with enlarged prostate. sorry if this is TMI.

I am dealing with a likely right meniscus injury. Pending MRI November 2nd.

My fitness

I currently walk 5-8 K daily. It has really helped my knee just walking

I have started swimming here in Bagheria Sicily with local swim team tues, Thurs, and Sat. Keeping distances and heart rate down a little doctors orders.

I can cycle on stationary bike have to wait to get home to start back on Zwift.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick, Thank you for putting this plan together. I can see a lot of work and thought went into it.

I will down load run durability 1. now and then onto Run Durability plan 2. on Nov 17. Given my meniscus injury it will be walking for now. MRI on Friday will be telling. I will keep you updated. If I have a tear. I will have to wait the 6 months post MI because of meds I take to keep my stents open.

My heart will be re tested in Jan/Feb 2021 to ensure it it safe to train and race. "Nuclear Stress Test".

I am cycling on Zwift, and had my 1st outdoor cycle today of 31 miles

I am swimming, 3-4 days a week. Must keep heart rate out of extreme, I assume level 5.

My Cardiologist has asked me to consider 1/2 IM instead of the long course, I think its too soon, to say.

• Options

Perfect. Wonder ability will be there most deliver a way that we can get you back on track. If you do remember here is that we are (obviously) not pushing anything at this point. In a way, I may have you do a better job of building durability! Please remember you have priority access to me for support so we can keep you focused and rolling!

• Options

@Coach Patrick , Just wanting to update you on my health status given my second week of out season.

I am doing well post heart attack September 5, but do not have any permanent damage, although I do have 3 stents, to keep things open, I take a blood thinner, AKA Effient with 81 mg of ASA. I'll be on Lipitor for ever but tolerating things well . Not the same as Coumadin and I can cycle out doors.

I am going to cardiac rehab, 3 x's a week for 12 weeks. I do not fit in because I am too fit. I am on machines next to people who have never exercised . I try to keep a positive attitude. They are sweet people though.

My cardiologist will perform a stress test on me is early February after cardiac rehab, so as to clear me for racing in 2020. Thank God my Cardiologist is a cyclist and is in my corner.

I have a meniscus injury right knee, now almost completely healed on it's own, that why I walk. will start running soon, but will have PT and my sports med doc clear me before I start . Sorry that I cannot complete the early season run tests yet. I would love to crush an early season 5 K. It will wait on me.

Eugene

• Options

Thank you for the update.I am 100% OK with youSpending time on the bike right now as you heal up.These things happen for a reason,And we might as will roll with the punches for as long as we can.I anxiously await your updateIn February,I am confident that you will be in a great place by the time we get there!

• Options

@EugenePartridge - I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Your question about Indian wells. If you think it's going to happen, there's no reason why you can't adjust your training plan to focus on that date. I have a feeling most races are not going to happen, which is why I have everyone focusing on the DIY Triathlon at the end of August. You are welcome to participate with us if that is in the cards: www.endurancenation.us/diy

The way, super glad to hear that your knee is doing well!

As a reminder, Eugene W Partridge Is on the TeamEN (Coaching + Community Level) and is following the EN Half Minimalist, 12wks.

His Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Bike distance&run consistency

Extra help request: My knee is better IM WA canceled, should I go to Indian wells? Instead

• Options
    Hi @Coach Patrick
    Thanks so much for the feedback. Yes! DIY is the way to go. I will get into
    EN web sight to set myself up. Also will complete my current training plan
    @ Finnish with a virtual 70.3med Sept as well,
    Eugene
  • Options

Perfect! We need anything, we are only a few clicks away. Don't hesitate to reach out here or using the chat button on any www.endurancenation.us page!

~ Coach P

• Options

@EugenePartridge I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Prep DIY 2k, cycle 80 km, run 20km, in the fall start out season, maybe learn how ride using discourse

Yes, you should totally check out Discord. Info is on our main Zwift page: www.endurancenation.us/zwift as a starter. When you do decide to join in, let us know in the Zwift GroupMe chat and someone will be there to help you out!

In terms of the DIY Tri, your training looks great. I love the consistency, and there's been a nice build. Even the long rides are looking really steady. I'll be curious to know what your goals are, if any, related to peace or effort?

Sidenote, when I'm in your final surge log I see a lot of duplicate workouts. That means you have paired both Strava and Garmin into Final Surge and we only want one of them. I would suggest you pick Strava to make it work. https://www.finalsurge.com/GarminConnectSync is where you can make that edit!