Home Announcements 🎙
Options

VASA

This one has been in the works for a long time and am excited to announce the partnership with VASA! VASA Swim Trainers are a perfect addition to your pain cave! 

Long time EN athlete Ian Kurth SWEARS by this machine and will be helping us put together a program inside EN to improve your swim times. This combined with all Mike Roberts and Coach Patrick are doing is going to be INSANE! 

More in the works, just like we are developing the Stryd PowerMeter section of this team, so if anyone grabs one of these bad boys or already has one, we will need you to be apart of the growth! 

Check out Ian's interview blog Here

Here is our discount deal with them: 

Swim Erg Discount Code:  BONUS-EN-ERG

Code Valid for:

Endurance Nation active members only
Purchase of one SwimErg 
Discount value: $100 off
SwimErg best for triathletes looking to:

Build Specific Endurance & Power
Save precious time
Improve technique while training
Measure Swim Power & track progress

Trainer Pro Discount Code:  BONUS-EN-TRAINER

Code Valid for:

Endurance Nation active members only
Purchase of one Trainer Pro
Discount value: $50 off
Trainer PRO best for triathletes looking to:

Build ‘breakthrough’ specific strength
Improve high elbow catch & pull
Maximize starts & turns with powerful leg Plyos
High quality, time-saving total training

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I'm happy to see this and am curious what we can all collectively accomplish together!

I have owned and ERG for several years and think you will find the people at Vasa a pleasure to work with. 

I'm far from an expert on the "best use" of this device but know that it's made me a lot stronger. Again, I'm curious and excited to see this happen and hope that the Vasa thread grows some legs!
  • Options
    Love my Vasa Erg.  Use it 3x a week + pool time.

Here's my story on the Vasa blog:
    https://vasatrainer.com/blog/an-interview-with-jubal-dais-a-triathletes-inspiring-story-of-hard-work-dedication/
  • Options
    Just seeing this...  Strong work @Mariah Bridges for setting this up.  Curious to see how this evolves within the team, particularly with coaching involvement.  Stands to reason it could be heavily leveraged during the OS, and (as was mine and many other's experiences) throughout the season as a strong supplement to pool workouts.

Here is a link to the "Old Forum" thread that we started to try and consolidate wisdom:

http://members.endurancenation.us/OldForums/tabid/57/aft/22313/Default.aspx#239058

@Jubal Dais - I remember reading your VASA blog write-up, as well as some of your comments on the long VASA slowtwitch thread.  They were helpful for me to commit to purchase.  Welcome to the EN team!

• Options
    Can anyone shed light on the best way to perform a power test on the ERG? I'm assuming there is some criteria that's used? 

Please forgive me if I've missed this in the old forum.
  • Options
    @Todd Bray - 

I had used the swim smooth 400/200 CSS protocol for a couple of seasons and just modified it for the VASA:
    http://www.swimsmooth.com/training.html

Last season, I was prescribed a 400/100 protocol by Eric Neilsen at TSRF.  These were his instructions for the test that I saved in my Strava account:

https://www.strava.com/activities/622400500

2016-06-27 EN TSRF Swim VASA 2000m 400/100 CSS power test

Instructions:

Extended warm up of 15 minutes making sure to target both some high SPM work and some bib DD# to get things fully opened up.

400M test first and program in the distance so when you finish it will give avg SPM and Power along with time.

Rest 8-10 minutes with both passive and active before you tackle the 100 Test. Same thing program in the distance so you can collect avg's when done

Results:

400 - 5:49 - 113w avg; 60 spm; 1:22/100y 
    100 - 1:18 - 154w avg; 60 spm; 1:15/100y

There are also some other protocols floating around on the VASA website from Al Lyman which include a couple variations of a 1000m TT.

We tended to use the 400 number as a sort of FTPish number and based power workouts on a percentage of the 400 and 100 watts.  Ex: - 75-80% 400 watts for intervals of 8-15 min over an hour workout; 100% of 100 wattage for short intervals of 15-45 sec etc.

I found the 400/100 to be fairly reproducible and reasonable in establishing power zones for FTP type and VO2 type interval workouts.

Using wattage goals/targets with varied DD levels and stroke rates to achieve wattages was engaging and helpful fitness wise...

• Options
    @Mariah Bridges - @PatrickMcCrann -

It seems that the other VASA thread which contains a good bit of info is locked out (view only).  Can this thread be combined with the old VASA thread and moved into the training forum for better visibility?
  • Options
    VASA created some new blog posts that are the first 2 parts of a 5 part swim clinic.  They include video too.   These would be useful, regardless of whether or not you use a Vasa SwimErg or Vasa Trainer:

Part 1:

Part 2:

• Options
    @Ian Kurth
    @Coach Patrick
    @Jenn Edwards
    Reviving this thread and calling all vasa users for some latest opinions.  We are considering this however it's a pretty big investment that I wonder if you really get a good return for.  I have read the older posts and see that Ian and now Coach Patrick, swear by it...others are hot and cold.

Are you really buying convenience here?  ie..let's say I have a pool down the road to go to with little admin, will the vasa trainer enhance me more than just going the traditional route of the pool?

Appreciate thoughts.
  • Options
    @Dawn Cass - look around on slowtwitch, Craigslist (google) and ebay... I found two last year, one was in CO and shipping proved to be prohibitive, Stephanie Stevens actually bought that one for $850, I found one that was in CT over an hour away from me for $1000... I am about to use it to work in some extra wkos a few times a week as I keep it at Jill's house(she's been using it) It would seem from those that have used them well, they work well for people who have built their stroke to where it needs to be, thus can get on the VASA and build their swim fitness.

my $.02
  • Options
    @Dawn Cass - When used consistently, I believe that the Vasa will help make you a stronger and better swimmer.  The "best" way to use it is debatable, but probably falls in the realm of a swim supplement - adding to, but not replacing water time.  Where you fall in the spectrum of increased or decreased supplementation depends on your life circumstances and motivation.  If swimming is convenient for you, and you have the time, then your vasa supplementation will be less and might not be worth the investment for the swim gains yielded.  I fall on the other end of the spectrum, with swimming time being inconvenient and I use it almost exclusively - and certainly more than generally advised.  @PatrickMcCrann and @robin sarner are both good swimmers and have used it almost exclusively as well to good advantage.  I know my answer sounds a bit wishy washy, but I remain an advocate, and if you have the financial means, and the motivation to use, it is a terrific piece of equipment.
  • Options
    @Ian Kurth I agree wholeheartedly.  

Last year was my first full "serious" year on the VASA and I noticed an improvement in my swim times.  This season I had a single swim in any water body before IMLP race weekend and that was a local OLY race that I use to kick off my season.  Everything else was on the VASA because I can get it done at home before everyone wakes up.  I don't have easy access to a pool and closest OWS is 1 hour + drive each way.  My n=1 is that LP was a PR swim for me (over IM LOU with current).

When I first got the VASA I thought it sucked, it hurts, I can't go far/long on it.  Slowly I built up some strength and worked my way up 5 doors worth of resistance.  Now I wouldnt want to train without it.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2017 3:59PM
    @Dawn Cass
    I'm in the "maybe" for me camp.  It is SO tough, historically I had a hard time getting up over 500y and inevitably would retreat to the pool.  In the last couple months I committed to seeing it through and am finally able to do (a broken) 1,000.  A Red Mist session and subsequent IM swim results remain to be seen, but I will be a good case study for sure.  As far as convenience - ABSOLUTELY. Rest assured, if my results prove to not suffer, I will lean heavily on it for subsequent training.  Keep us posted!  
    Edit: Most definitely am acquiring some seriously aesthetically pleasing (IMO) shoulders!   :)   
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofer
    Thanks for the suggestion and if I could find a used one...I think I would snap it up!  I had a look actually but nothing out there that I can see at the moment.  Will keep looking.

@Ian Kurth
    Thanks for the comments and know you are a big user/supporter of it.  What you mention is some of what I guessed may be the case.  Summer wise I have easy access to a pool however at other times of the year when the local one is not open, there is a lot of admin so something like vasa starts to be attractive!  If I do pull the trigger, I may be coming back with more questions!

@Jenn Edwards
    Thanks Jenn...good to get your feedback.  Quick question....when you mention it was hard to get over 500 yards...I assume that's due to the boredom factor?  On your edit note however....nice shoulders are certainly worth the investment however...you may have me sold on it.   :)
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2017 12:08AM
    @Dawn Cass
    Great question as it is actually that I found it SUPER hard.  Geeze and I consider myself in the "brick shit house" pretty-darn-strong kind of build.  Seriously burning shoulders but I kept at it and got over the hump.  Good luck and three cheers good lookin' shoulders!   ;)
  • Options
    Some basic VASA questions (and hope this is the thread for it).  First, other than filming myself, is there a good way to make sure you have high elbows?  Second, what damper door setting are you typically using?  Third, how far off should my vasa per 100 time be from my typical pool time?  I feel like I need to have a basic data dump with the chance to ask questions on all this as I start into it.