Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Moving to NYC - Long Island City

Hey all, 
I need some help.  i am moving to NYC - Long Island City and I have zero idea of local tri groups and where to workout.  I can run everywhere but i want to bike and not get killed by cabs, ubers, and buses.  Can folks give me ideas of where to bike and local tri groups in the area?

Also where the heck do i swim?  I am sure the East River is not ideal.

Jonathan

Comments

• Options
    @ jonathan look up NYC swimming on slowtwitch, there are a number of better places, but not easy to get to, chelsea piers, ashphalt green (LCM pool!) and a tri club there. I can connect you with a friend in Lower manhattan who knows all. Also, might be resources in LIC that I am unaware of. 
    if you have a car or are willing to get into midtown and jump on metro north, I can have you join some great rides in northern westchester. As for NYC riding, most people ride up and across the GW and then up 9W, it's mostly an out and back, but LOTS of people...
    I am divorced and have plenty of extra room every other weekend if you want to come up. I keep threatening to get a somewhat local group of ENers to do some rides.. if you want to get me on Email it's sdinhofer@gmail
    cheers! and welcome to the tristate area!
  • Options
    I'm on Long Island and do a few Bear Mtn rides in NJ for some long hills.  You can ride GW bridge up route 9w to get away from the city.  Central Park is good for running, but I would only ride there early in the AM to avoid tourists.
  • Options
    Thank you all.  i appreciate the help.