Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Dave Legg Official Coach Forum

edited September 25, 2017 2:30PM in Coaching Forum 🧢
Coach  P,
Developed a calf issues after last Wed run, tried to go easy Sat and shut it down after a mile. The issues happens when I am out of alignment so I was able to get adjusted and should be ok possibly by the weekend. Did the ride today but only half the time without any problems and usually to ride is not an issue. So can I ride each day this week and wait for the weekend to start running easy or do you have another idea. I am in week 11 of OS program.

Comments

• Options
    Ride this week to stay loose, then weekend as planned but no intensity on Sunday please. Just time. 

Is there anything else you can do to make sure this isn't an issue moving forward (Stretching? Self Care?)

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach P,

Need some advice here on this calf deal, getting frustrated. It took about 10 days of no running but did all the bike workouts during that time without any problems. Started running this week with the workouts of OS week 12 and for ran TRP pace or about 20 seconds average faster without any major pain. Yesterday I tried to do the Sunday run and the calf started flaring up with pace so had to shut that down and managed to stay around the TRP pace, ran 61 minutes of the 90. Don't really know what to do this week and know that this will effect the 10k TT next week on the exit of OS. With my baseball game schedule I will have to do the TT instead of race since they are on the weekends and that's when we play. Have been stretching, icing, messaging and using a bead roller which seems to help of course. I liked the improvement I had been achieving on the run and now felt with this I had taken a few steps back and now fear it will be a few more. So what do you think the course I should take now. Thanks for your help
  • Options
    @Dave legg

Man that really stinks. From an outside perspective it seems to me like perhaps he started back up to quickly with the running? The rest was good, Exhile your calf responded. But something went back into trying a 90 minute run that first week is not necessarily a good idea. 

I understand that this gets you down, but understand that you're finished doesn't just disappear. We can still keep up the work on the bike and get you back, but we will need a much more measured approach.

You are right that the 10 K time trial is not an option at this time. Let's table that for the future. 

I see you plan on closing out you're out season training plan with the bike workouts in the bike test. I'd like you to rest your leg from running and when you do come back I'd like you to do this: 

Wk1: 3 x 20' as 1:30 walk /:30 run
    Wk2: 3 x 25' as 1' walk / 1' run
    wk3: 3 x 30' as 1' walk / 2' run

then we can reassess!

its a long season yet...

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    Coach P thank you for the help here and the confidence stroke. So as not to be to eager or shall we say not so smart, how long before I should start the run portion you have suggested? I will do the rides and the test for wk 14 and head to swim camp. Thank you

w

• Options
    @Dave Legg - Let's start it in Swim Camp latest...earliest about 5 days after your last run. The key here is that we don't let the calf get dormant, time to heal YES but not to regress. 

You'll stress about the rest, but the hardest part is the baby steps when coming back!!  o:)

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach P,
    I have done the three weeks of running as you had listed above and happy to say no issues with the calf during or after the runs, thank you for the advice. So I am starting the second week of swim camp so should I do the assigned  scheduled runs or do you have another course of action?  
  • Options
    @Dave Legg

Run as planned (for time, not intensity); I'd like you to walk 1' for every mile you run...okay?

Almost there...

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach P,

Sounds good and I will check back in at the end of week 2 before I go to GF on Monday, thank you
  • Options
    @dave legg - Great to talk with you last week!!!  Here are my call notes so we can keep the records straight!!!

• Gatorlytes - my secret tummy / hydration weapon, always good to have on hand. Shop here and use wisely!
    • Cramping was an issue, I know. Usually it's your body's way of saying "Stop doing that thing you are doing and take care of me" ... Could be long term tightness or could be an issue on the day. Always capture what happened is key, this way we can make adjustments moving forward!
    • P1 pedals are the way to go. You can shop for them online here. Dual sided measurement is best, but you could get away with the single one if required. I recommend doing the $125/mo layaway plan to your savings...and then in 6 months (April) you can get them just in time to head outside. Or just use your CC and reverse that process. The pedals are great as they swap easily between bikes!
    • Zwift is our new playground for the Team. The best place to learn what we are up to is in our Wiki here.

Please let me know if I missed anything...have a great week!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited December 11, 2017 10:11PM

@dave legg

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

I am in the second phase of the run durability program. My A race was going to be Calgary but found out yesterday that it is on July 29 which is the day my wife is going to try and BQ and I am helping her in training and on course. So I think I am going to jump into OS Nov?

Your Races

Main Race:

• Ironman 70.3 Couer D'Alene (2018-06-24) #70.3CDA_18
    • September 8, Best in the West in Oregon

Additional Races:
    - Thanksgiving Day 10k, possible a 5k during Dec

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

•  Last updated by Coach on 11/30/2017

•   On 1/8/2017 Load the -- OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2017

•   On 4/16/2017 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 06/24/2018

•   On 6/25/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/8/2018

•   On 7/9/2017 Load the Intermediate Minimalist EN*Half to end on 09/09/2018

•   On 9/10/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 90/23/2018

Coach Notes

I don't think you need to rush anything! I would prefer you continue the Run Durability Program (RDP) right now into January. Then we go January OutSeason Plan with an exit into the last 10 weeks of the EN*Half Plan. Sounds perfect to me...otherwise you'll be really, really early from the OS into the Half. 

Let me know what you think...I can make whatever you want happen, just wanted you to see that a Jan OS is 100% feasible! 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Coach P, 
    Thank you for the plan and direction and I do have a few questions. First I now have power and I am working on understanding the numbers and how to train with those numbers. I did do a bike test to get a ground to work with so what direction do you feel I should go with the newness of this type of training. I do plan on adding a half in September 8, Best in the West in Oregon and mane an Olympic in town the first of August. So where do I go from there after what you have given since I didn’t give you that info, sorry about that. Did what they call a Montana 10k on Thanksgiving, finished 3rd AG and took off about 2:45 time from previous year. Now that could be because the weather was about 30 degrees warmer than last year and roads had no ice/snow except for one stretch which I lost time and almost went down or I have been improving haha. Great job on your three Ironman races in a row, very impressive.
  • Options
    @dave legg - you can test power after you've had it for six weeks. Otherwise it's not worth it to put yourself in a position to test but not have a good sense of your baseline (including how to work/ lap / save everything). 

Right now you want to be on our Run Durability Program to build some good baseline fitness before hitting the OutSeason Plan in January. You can join the Run Durability on GroupMe  for some fun and accountability before we dive into everything else. Thoughts? 
  • Options
    Yes sir I am in the Run Durability program now and will stay there until the Jan OS. During my training leading into Ironman CDA and my RR you mentioned that my bike fitness may not have been as good as I thought, rode my should ride for the race. I would like to improve both the bike and run by a lot for this seasons 70.3 races, is this a possibility? You want me to go into OS Run focus which I will head the direction you feel is best, just wanted you to know what I would like to achieve. Think I can be better than what I showed that day. Thanks for you help 
  • Options
    Thank you for the update. I am 95 percent sure that doing the run focused bike workouts on a consistent basis… Three good rides a week… Will set you up for the year that you want.

There’s always the option to add a new and additional ride on the weekend if required. But let’s see how the first five week cycle of the out season goes and decide from there.

Let’s not forget there’s always an opportunity to add in some additional volume after the all season with a big bike weekend or several big bike days in a row. We got options!
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Dave, great to have you back for another round. St. George is just such a fantastic race, but it does require a great deal of early-season fitness. I certainly hope you are ready given your experience with early races like CDA.

There are some nuances to the course that's worth checking out if you go to the website under racing and the master racing pages you can find details about St. George. Or you can also simply search the forums. You'll want to make sure you have take the right gearing to be successful on the day!

To help you off of a training perspective I have you doing a run durability program now as a bridge between 2018 and 2019. You move into the OutSeason Plan with the rest of the team in January and then transition a little bit early and head into our half plan to get ready along the way you'll be doing your other shorter races which should easily fit in and if you need help ou can always ask me in the forums.

Once you're through St. George will take a little bit of recovery. Move into a run focus block the kind of ramp up some of that run speed from the transition you into our balanced marathon plan which is where you get an opportunity to train for your marathon but also continues some cross training. You and I can always connect again about how we want to modify that off of your year based off of how the winter in your Spring goes.

There's always a lot of room for adjustment and there may be some areas where we think there's more opportunity for you when we get there.

Your Races

• Thanksgiving Day 6.6 mi run Huffing for Stuffing,
    • 12/8 Santa 5k
    • Run to the Pub Half Marathon 3/19
    • Ironman 70.3 St George (2018-05-04) #70.3SG_19   
    • Bozeman Marathon in mid 9/9/2019

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 10/26/2018
    • On 10/22/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/18/2018
    • On 11/19/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/16/2018
    • On 12/17/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 01/13/2019
    • On 1/7/2019 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 04/14/2019
    • On 3/4/2019 Load the EN*Half Bike Fccused to end on 5/5/2019
    • On 5/6/2019 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 05/19/2019
    • On 5/20/2019 Load the Run Focus Block to end on 6/30/2019
    • On 7/1/2019 Load the Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 09/09/2019
    • On 9/10/2019 Load the Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 9/23/2019
    • On 9/24/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/21/2019

Your Notes

N/A

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach P,

Thank you for the plan and I hope I didn’t mess you up but I see another race I was planning on doing didn’t get on the list. Planning to do 70.3 Calgary which I believe is usually towards end of July, they have not posted a date yet, Boulder would be second plan which is August 4th I believe. Also I want to get on the Zwift train and how do I incorporate that into run durability plan. Thanks for the help and well done in Kona

• Options

No worries man! Not sure how that race didn’t make a list. I don’t want to schedule until we know the date, so just come back to me when you know as it’s quite away away. Just to integrating Zwift sooner rather than later. Easiest way to do it is to first get on Zwift. Do a short race for that mid week ride. Join the team on the weekend for either a Saturday or Sunday ride to. You can find the group me links to their in more about Zwift online here under community/GroupMe: http://members.endurancenation.us/Community/GroupMe(TeamText).aspx

Hi suggest you sign up for the events one and the regular Zwift one !!

• Options

Coach P,

Ok, I believe that I am close to having the schedule. Calgary has set a date of Aug 11 which is to late for other things we have to do and was wondering about Aug 3rd in Boulder might be late for marathon prep. I am going to do the Marine Corps Marathon Oct 27, running with the TAPS organization in honor of my son SGT Cody R Legg. Have been wanting to do this marathon for awhile as it is such a special event. So have the schedule up to ST George and thinking that going to CDA June 30th might be a better choice for marathon prep. Love your thoughts and guidance of course. Great job in Cozumel, was thinking of going there in 2020 but your race report kind of made me wonder if that is a place for me to try and KQ which of course is a dream of mine. Thanks for your help, Merry Christmas to you and your family.

• Options

Thanks for the update!. Can you please take a minute and submit this using the official plan questionnaire here: http://bit.ly/yourraces

This will make sure we capture you in our system and get you on my planning list. Thank you!

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Here is my macro level plan for your year. If you do, in fact, decide to go to CDA in June, just let me know. Right now we can have you start with the OutSeason® and then build across the course of the year using St. George as a platform to build some great fitness. Then we can give it into more of a marathon focus to get you ready for your very meaningful run.

In terms of short term goals, would be great to focus on the bike fitness (and gearing?) for St George so we can score you a sub-6 HIM finish time. I know the race is challenging, but I think you have the depth to achieve it. Let me know what you think!

Your Races

• Run to the Pub Half Marathon 03-16-19
    • Ironman 70.3 St George (2019-05-05) #70.3SG_19 
    • Marine Corps Marathon 10-27-19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/22/2018
    • On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 04/14/2019
    • On 3/11/2019 Load the    EN*Half Bike Focused  to end on 5/5/2019
    • On 5/6/2019  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 05/19/2019
    • On 5/20/2019 Load the    Run Focus Block to end on 06/30/2019
    • On 7/1/2019  Load the    Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 10/27/2019

Your Notes

Run Durability for Triathlete

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach P,

I like the sounds of sub 6 hour half, been close just need to fix a couple of race day things. So I am all in and ready to get the work done in order to achieve this. I have decided to race CDA which is June 30 and would love to go sub 6 twice. I am riding a PR Six this year ( a surprise gift from my wife), the gearing 52/36 & 11/28. Feel that I am a good climber and have two mountain ranges with 7% plus grades as long as the weather allows to get out. Love the direction of the plans.

• Options

Brand new bike? Holy cow, you are clearly winning at life! Post a picture when you get a chance. #SoJealous

• Options

Coach P,

I am heading out of Jan OS and into the HIM bike plan in prep for St George on Monday. My question is do I enter the ending date of plan so I get the taper time and start what week the plan would be in or do I enter the start date on 3/11? I we try and figure how to post a picture of the bike, PR six so yes very lucky. Thanks for the direction

• Options

We always load our training plans to end on a specific date. In your case, you ended on the Sunday of race weekend which then means we need to merge where you are now with the current week of the training plan. Sometimes it takes a little bit of finesse.

You can use these forums on your mobile phone, the interface is fantastic. When you reply to this post on your phone there’s a picture icon at the bottom of where you were typing. Touch it and it will open your camera and you can take a picture and it loads right into the post itself.

• Options

Coach P,

Just a short note to thank you for the training plan that put me into a nice race which I will write a race report very soon. Advice on a couple of things or your thoughts at least. Better swimmer than my time but I need a supplement to add because I can only get in two swims a week due to the fact the pool is 65miles one way. Next my T times are horrible and the set up for this race in St George was not bad other than the fact I can not run very well in cycling shoes. I will say I was not sure with the climbs on both bike/run I how I would hold up, should have listened to my wife because she said I was in great bike shape even tho the race was my 4th ride outside. I could have pushed the bike more and still had a good run. Happy with my progress and look foreword to CDA. Thanks again

• Options

Nothing wrong with having GREAT bikes fitness! I would love to see that report shortly in case you want to make any adjustments for CDA. For now, take it easy until Saturday so your body has a chance to recover. Would love to see any pictures you have from the race as well on Facebook if you are there. Just tag Endurance Nation.

• Options

Coach P,

Posted the race report and unfortunately I have no pictures as my wonderful wife could not make the trip. My dad was there but at 86 that was not going to happen. For CDA I was thinking if a big bike weekend would work and if so I was thinking May 31-June 2nd. The race is June 30. Which plan should do for the next 6 weeks. Thanks for all your help

• Options

Thanks for the update. Yes to the big bike week, and yes to May 31 to June 2. If I’m not mistaken that his camp weekend anyway which has two big rides on the schedule. You should be following the EN Full 2019 bike focused plan, which you can load through Final Surge (in the navigation on Final Surge go to training plans/my plans and then choose the one I mentioned) and set it to end on race day.

As a reminder, I am not concerned about your swimming at all right now, but we do want the run frequency to continue and to keep the quality high on the bike per the bike focused training plan. Please let me know if you need any more input after you have a loaded the plan.

• Options

Coach P,

Man I really would like to do St. George so I have a couple of questions. My wife can not make the race because she will be using her personal days for the Marine Corps Marathon, she is a high school Math teacher and she does not like to miss days. As a new board member I am sure you can appreciate that, by the way how is that going for you? So Marine Corps is end of October could St George fit into a good time frame then do Canada end of July? My wife wants or voted for Canada especially if it is moved back to Pentiction since that is where we meet. Not sure if I can convince her I can do two fulls in that short of time and really don't know if physically I can. Thanks for your thoughts. Bike and run feel good for CDA, swim not sure of but we will see.