Home General Training Discussions
Options

Stryd / Run with Power Guide Feedback Requested

TEAM! 

In case you missed it, I posted a 1.0 version of Getting Started Running with Power on the EN Blog here. Thanks to those of you who have helped me out by contributing here...but I am hoping I can get some more feedback from you. 

Here is the link to a version you can comment on: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QJ1NricopasgPP6PnGulnoJN6ctA4ByoNcoZkUaJX2k/edit?usp=sharing

You don't need to know everything about power to play. In fact, the less you know the better your input could be. I am just looking for your comments and thoughts. You can put them in the doc ^above^ in case you have some edits....or add more info here to this forum post. 

Here's how you add a comment to the document (no google account required): 

Thanks in advance folks!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Nothing much to add to your doc, but I'd love to be part of the bigger study to get this product to the mainstream. I've been collecting data for a while, look at the Stryd site occasionally, have data in WKO to look at, but that's about it. Love to share data, analytics, WKO reports or whatever to help me understand the data better.
  • Options
    Paying close attention to this thread.   I've been gathering lots of data and the Vance book just showed up yesterday so I'm digging in.  Bring it on!
  • Options
    I too just started reading Vance's book.  I am looking to find ways to incorporate the power meter beyond just a neat toy.  I can't wait to see what this gang can come up with! 
  • Options
    I have ordered The Jim Vance Book and The Secret of Running, which is also getting some good press. https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Running-Performance-Effective-Metering/dp/1782551093/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_2
  • Options
    I am about to dive into the book, have the meter & want to start collecting data. I think I've read that pulling power into TrainingPeaks and Strava can mess with your power curves on those programs. Can anyone validate or disavow that issue? If it is an issue, can you put it out there for all of us on how to correct in those apps??
    thanks!
  • Options
    Stryd is adding a new section to the Power Center that helps training guidance.  I signed up to be an early adopter.  It looks really interesting for matching power to race goals.  Here is a screenshot looking at my current training to a modeled marathon plan.  Telling me I've got too much easy running. Need to spend some more time with it to better understand the inputs and suggested modifications to my running.I'll have to look at my zones in Stryd too.
  • Options
    I learned one challenge with using Stryd during a race this past weekend.   The Garmin 920 only recognizes one power meter...so when I put it into race mode I had to choose between my Stryd or my Powertap on the bike.   I ended up selecting my Stryd as I have a 520 that I use for the bike leg and I could still have the Stryd power data for the run.   Not a huge issue but certainly could be a downside for anyone that goes purely with a watch in their race.

I still am learning to use power so didn't refer to it in the race, but interestingly it showed a very consistent power output (consistent with my RPE) throughout the race despite significant variation in my pace due to the hilly course.   I averaged 312 watts for the 13.1 miles and the per mile splits only varied by 10 watts (3%) vs. my pace varied by up to 15%.   I'm now getting to the point that I have enough training and racing data to begin using this as a key race metric.
  • Options
    So if you knew 312 was your goal avg power would you 1) keep power below 312 + x watts on the up hills 2)push watts on downhill to approach 312 3) some other approach?
    also what zone is 312W and was your avg pace assuming not a very slow course close to your zone 3 pace?
  • Options
    I haven't targeted a power level before a race but I do use the power during a race to keep my effort up.  Since my HR stays basically constant at the same power it's more consistent for me to use instead of just pace and/or HR. I think I psychologically like looking at a power number compared to pace. The power level I pick typically changes some during a run (initially lower and then working up).
  • Options
    @Robert Sabo good question.   I don't know what you are 'supposed' to do, but if I knew going in that was my goal I would target 312 on the flats, limit myself to about 350 on the climbs.  I'd use HR as an upper bound as well since it's much 'stickier' than power.  I would run by feel on the downhills as I think trying to hit a certain power number could cause you to run in a way that impacts your form.   Since you can't coast like you do on a bike you are in essence following the EN bike protocol of powering down hills at less than your target watts.  

312W for me worked out to an average 6:50 pace which is a bit slower than Zone 2.   The course wasn't particularly fast as it had two pretty big hills.   It was a 70.3 run PR for me.