Home General Training Discussions
Options

2017 Get Faster or just get some Mojo forum

Hi EN kids! Since most of us are either done or almost done with the OS or are already in the middle of their serious training plan – let’s use this “2017 Get Faster or just get some Mojo” forum for any posts about your current training.  I noticed that some of you are missing the OS camaraderie and banter so let’s use this forum just for that!  Feel free to add anything I missed - looking at you @Paul Curtin, @Shaughn Simmons, @Francis Picard, @Jeff Kane, @Phil Mills  B) And thanks @Coach Patrick for bringing this forum back to life. 

Comments

• Options
    Excellent @Daria Matthews - Thanks for starting this!  This week (Apr 24-30) is Week 1 of my AGF program; but since I'll be at the Blue Ridge Camp it's a super-heavy bike focus week.

Did an AGF-style week last week with the longer run on Thursday and bike WKOs both Saturday and Sunday.  I like that format.  Much heavier volume though than in the OS - had the highest weekly TSS score so far this year.
  • Options
    I would !! but still in swim camp and jumping into HIM plan next week.

I can again do the chearleader, just let me know LOL
  • Options
    We have 2 takers so far, yes! I am adding my Feb OS kids here too since we truly have a very small group and I'm sure we all need some major mojo :wink:@Jenniferlyn Kryvicky, @Elizabeth Hornak, @John Culberson.  But I think any EN kid should jump in here and share their training struggles or accomplishments.
    @Paul Curtin - let's hear more about how things will go at BRC! I'm jealous. Sounds like you and Coach P are killing your TSS. Very nice. 
    @Francis Picard - you have been volunteered as the chearleader  :p  I'm starting my SC soon too so there ya go!
    Also, I will be adding all of you on Strava so don't be shy since you will get some guaranteed kudos. 
    I had a great weekend with a nice 10mil run with som VO2s and a strong bike ride yesterday.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/953648086 
    https://www.strava.com/activities/955216398
    Have a great week!
  • Options
    I'm in on this!! Love the camaraderie of the group and to expand to other OS's rocks! I'll fill any role that is need @Daria!! Currently in week 2 of the GF! Let's do this!
  • Options
    I'm in as well.  Glad to have a place to land after the JOS.  I am in week 3 of the GF.  My HIM isn't until Sept. so I will be putting off swimming until later in the season.  Since I have a number of HM scheduled, I will be substituting in an extra bike or run in place of the swims.  
  • Options
    @Daria Matthews

Thank you.  I would start a new thread each week if possible just so we can manage.

I've been in the GF plan for 5 weeks with some small hacking on the run.  Ran 40 miles last week with ~7+ miles of Threshold work in there.

Swim wise ~8,000 yds per week focused on 100 and 150 sprint sets.  My swim times are improving.

Bike wise ~7.5 hours per week with 3 bikes.  30 - 60+ minutes of Z4 time in two of those 3 bike.

~1,000+  TSS per week and I am tired.....

This week will be a recovery week ending in a race on Sunday called the Texas X50 (1 mile swim, 40 mile bike, 9 mile run)

Next week I'll be back with you guys on GF with some hacking.

Have a great week all!

SS
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2017 6:48PM
    I also highly recommend that all use the Sunday Zwift Team EN ride for their GF Sunday rides....by the end of the week, if you have done the work, you are tired and this ride always gets you farther than you would go by yourself on tired legs.....see forum for details if needed:

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/22881/sunday-zwift-abp-4-2-9am-est-updated-instructions-inside#latest

SS
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons - you're a genius and I agree. I'm honestly glad to see that you're tired, because you are like a machine that does not stop.  Nice work so enjoy the recovery week! 
    @Phil Mills - my HIM is in August so we are kinda on the same schedule. Rock on!
    @Jeff Kane - love the enthusiasm! Yes, let's do this! 
  • Options
    Dang SS, that is some serious work you put in!  It should set you up nicely for all your races, especially IMMT

I'm still feeling the effects from Sunday's 3-hour ride; it was only my second outdoor ride this year.  Yesterday I swam at lunch with mostly high-elbow drills and short sets (50s and 100s) - changing your swim stroke is hard but the early results are positive.  Also slogged through a late-afternoon 5-mile run; legs were really heavy; stayed focused on breathing and high cadence

Hoping for another swim + run today ... tomorrow is a travel day for Blue Ridge
  • Options
    @Paul definitely understand about the dead legs! Ran 60 minutes this morning as planned and it seemed as if it took more effort than it should have. Needless to say, the humidity her in South Carolina is starting to engulf us as is the heat. By default the times slow down! Really looking forward to Thursday 80 minute run to put the hurt on my legs one last time before I ride Mt. Mitchell with the BRC Crew!!!
  • Options
    @Jeff Kane: looking forward to Friday's ride!  They changed the route to depart from Blind Squirrel Brewery ... not sure if you knew

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20495396

• Options
    @Paul Curtin thanks for the heads up!! If you hear any other changes help a fella out, please? A few miles long, nice!! Im driving up in the morning and spending the night. What time does the is everyone looking to leave from BSB? I'll meet everyone there and begin the ride. Did dinner plans change as well?
  • Options
    Only able to squeeze in a 2.5 mi run while the 6 yo was on her scooter. We ended up running late for an appt., so I had to make a run for it with a kiddo on my back and a scooter in hand.  All we needed was some face paint and we'd be ready for the circus.

The chest cold that tanked last weekends bike wko's is still weighing things down, but seems to be getting better.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2017 2:35PM
    @Paul Curtin - looks like you are ramping workload the last couple of weeks.....fine work.  Keep leading!
    @Jeff Kane - good luck with the BRC crew!  Have fun!

Last two mornings I have done a 4X8' and 5X8' Z3 interval set on the bike........

I'll be back on the GF week 6 or 7 next week with the rest of you animals!

SS

• Options
    Looks like Shaughn is going to kick things up a notch in here next week.  Glad to have your encouragement and leadership.

Since there was a snowballs chance that I would get up at 4 am to get in today's bike wko, I got it in last night.  Wasn't sure how it would shake out with a chest infection, so I aimed low.

3x10'@ .95, 1.00 & 1.01 
    10'@ .83.

Best bike wko I've had in weeks.  Apparently, the infection is further along than I thought.  Now, if I could just get rid of the coughing fits that kept me up to 2 am.  Coffee is not working this morning. 

https://www.strava.com/activities/958473419
  • Options
    Okay, so I'm over achieving here or just have way too much time on my hands today.  Since rain is in the forecast for tomorrow, and it is bright and sunny today, I moved the long run up a day.  I'm not sure that I could have picked a windier day for a run though.  I managed to follow the prescribed time in zone, however the wind definitely had me kicking up the effort to get there.

82' for 9.5 miles
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/7432814

• Options
    Hit the bike solid this morning! The three main sets of 8' were at 283, 285 and 315 watts. Really looking to push myself today and tomorrow to get the same feeling as those doing the full BRC. Bike feels really good!!!
  • Options
    @Phil Mills - fantastic 9.5 mile long run!!  BOOM!
    @Jeff Kane  - 315 for 8' is crank bending territory!! BAM!

I did my normal taper ride of 60' with 40' at Z3 yesterday as well as a 30' run in Z2.....nothing exciting.

Swim and short jog today.

Good luck out there today all!

SS
  • Options
    @Phil Mills - yes, saw that run on Strava too - very strong!
    Here is my run from yesterday so today my bike session (20x30/30s) was not the best:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/959603798
    I kept losing my pm today so I wonder if I should change the batteries even though I just changed them recently? Also, do you guys focus a lot on your cadence during the 30/30s ? 
    @Jeff Kane - that's crazy power! 
    @Shaughn Simmons - with the Zwift ride on Sundays - I'm just a little bit confused since I thought we should run on tired legs....so Sat bike ride and Sunday long run? I'm all ears  :)
  • Options
    @Daria Matthews - The typical OS has you biking Tues/Thurs/Sat with longish run on Sun.  The GF puts that even longer run on Thurs then back to back bikes on Sat/Sun.  Those back to back bikes are built like that to make you stronger on the bike.  That Sunday bike is tough given you are at the end of the week with fatigue LOAD, but Zwifting with the team brings out the best in you on a tough day!

SS

• Options
    Thanks @Shaughn Simmons! That makes sense.
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons & @Daria Matthews Thanks

Followed up the long run with the ftp sets I missed on Tuesday. Legs were heavy at the start, but I was able to pull it off, and then some.  Today will have 4 miles easy to shake things out.

1 mi, 1.3 mi & .7 mi @ Z4, remainder at TRP
    https://www.strava.com/activities/960828972

• Options
    Glad to see some GF mojo flowing. I will join you Monday, just finishing a month of OS training. Probably will do 6 weeks of this before going into IM mode in June en route to IMMOO in September. Gotta find a path to the pool and will be hacking for travel in the coming weeks. Excited to try the Zwift deal. 
  • Options
    Starting GF today or tomorrow - need to either move workouts around or just shift everything forward by a day - I've never been able to do the two rides all on the weekends. Looking forward to spending a lot more time in the pool!  It's the one big thing I miss in the OS!
  • Options
    Happy Monday Team! Back on the forms after a few days under the radar. Joined BRC for the Friday ride up Mt Mitchell - 94 miles and 11000' of gain was epic!! Recovered Saturday and back on the bike yesterday! Pool this morning - ready for a great week!!
  • Options
    Welcome to the chaos @Doug Sutherland @Catherine Branch !

Team, all that OS/GF work got me 3rd place Sunday at the Texasman X50......the work worked!

KMF all!

SS
  • Options
    Saw the trophy @Shaughn! Great work!
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons Great execution of the impressive work you've put in week in and week out.

Chest cold is making early am wake up's challenging, but managed to get in Saturday's 2.5 hrs in before midnight.
    2x12'@ .99
    1x (1'@Z5, 1'@z2, 5'@z4, 10'@z2)
    I tried for a second round of the above, and failed half way through the z4 portion. Wrapped up with Z2 work.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/963840391

Changed up my usual park run for a meandering trail run instead.
    http://https//www.strava.com/activities/963316828

Sunday night bike wko canceled in favor of accumulating SAU's.  

All in all, the longest training week since my hamstring injury in Dec. Also, first week this year of completing all runs in prescribed training zones.  

• Options
    @Phil Mills -  very kind and looking strong and consistent!!

@Jeff Kane - thank you.

Ran early today with some heavy legs and did a 5 X 3' at 5K ish pace....

https://www.strava.com/activities/967369465

Swim later today...

SS

• Options
    @Doug Sutherland and @Catherine Branch - thanks for accepting my Strava request. Kudos are on their way  :)
    @Phil Mills - not easy to do all your runs in prescribed training zones. Awesome!
    @Shaughn Simmons - way to get it done!
    I don't have any completed workouts for this week yet since I took yesterday off.  This week will be pretty busy with kids' activities and swim meet over the weekend so my attempt is to get it all done somehow. Cheers! B)