Home General Training Discussions
Options

training times and locations

Hi guys,

I was wondering what time of the day people generally train at and where?

I generally do my bike sessions on a turbo trainer and try to get outside at least once per week.

I do all my runs outside

I tend to train at lunchtime or in the evening after putting the kids to bed and then end up getting to bed at about 11pm.

Fergus

Comments

• Options

I'm up at 4:30am every training day and working out by 4:45 (I'm a morning person).

Bike usually on the trainer, but when I get to ride outside it's so much fun I forget it's work!

Run mostly outside, but I'm doing one day a week on the treadmill until I get my 310 (soon!) for pacing.

• Options

When I joined EN and got serious about my training, I started working out in the mornings.  Now, I love it!  In the OS I get up at 5:30 and start my workout by 6:30 (depending on how long I noodle in the forums with my morning coffee). 

I do my rides on a trainer in the basement - unless we get a nice day in the fall like this past weekend, then I'll hit the road.  I'll run outside through the cold Minnesota winter.

• Options

For 25 years I've been a morning trainer--up around 5, and on the bike or out the door at 6-ish. It's in the books--done. I started that when my kids were little, so I could get the workout in before they woke up. Sometimes, truth be told, they would interrupt before I got out the door. Currently, I really am trying to cut down on computer time in the early am, as I am starting my workouts later and later (as I type this in the early am image)

I ride in the basement on my CT in the cold months, but run outside unless it's brutal windchill or too slippery.

• Options

The bed is sooo warm and snuggly in the morning that I cannot pry myself out of it...

So I ride in the pain cave after dinner, run in dark on a cinder trail with headlights and my dog.

On the weekends, I'll occasionally take the 'cross bike on the bike trail to fend off trainer psychosis.

• Options
    I get up around 5-5:15 and jump on the trainer so I get all my workout are while my wife and little one are sleeping!

I ride my bike on a trainer in the garage during the week and generaly get out on the saturday ride.
    I always run outside.

• Options

I'm all over the place.   Now that we have no light after work, I've settled into doing:

Tues - after work trainer/brick run with headlamp

Wed - lunchtime intervals

Thurs - after work trainer

Sat - outside ride unless it's pouring or the roads become wintery and impassable then it's back to the drainer

Sun - outside run

I hope to not have to get on the treadmill this year.  That would be a treat.

I would love to get into an AM groove of getting it done before work, but this seems to be working right now.  Due to holidaze scheduling, I actually did run outside at 6am today.  Maybe this will be a start. 

Dave

• Options

I generally get it done in the morning.  Too much can happen during the day if I do not.  I swim at lunch time [when I actually swim] and when traveling will often run in the evenings as well.

This time of year biking on the trainer.  Running 99% outside.

• Options

I have the best intentions of doing early morning stationary trainer rides, even set my alarm clock early. BUT, like some others, I can never seem to muster myself out of bed.

Most of my stationary rides are after dinner in the evening while watching TV (new 52" TV helps).   I do ride outside on the weekends whenever possible.

My runs are mostly outside until the weather gets dismal, then it's all treadmill at the gym.

• Options

I'm a morning exerciser.  Usually in the 5:30 timeframe.  Not bad once you get used to it.

2x per year, I seem to have a really hard time with it.  Some time in June/July, and end of October through about Thanksgiving.  Other times of the year, it really isn't bad at all.  I've still never figured out why I have such a hard time consistently in those two timeframes...

If I had access to a pool, I'd totally swim over lunch (in-season), but have never worked close enough to a pool to make it work.

Mike

• Options

Outseason - In the morning, around sixish. I usually finish the workouts with about twenty minutes to catch my train for work.

When it gets a little darker and colder outside, I move my runs to lunch and run past the Art Institute, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum and Soldier Field. This part of the lake front path is magically always shoveled. Otherwise, I run on a lovely path behind Northwestern U.

• Options
    i've tried the morning stuff in the past and usually have success for 2 months, then i'm just to tired to get up. this year, i'm sticking with the late night workouts--start around 8:30 once the kids are asleep. this definitely gets me to bed later than i want, but i seem to have better success at night.
  • Options

I'm working on becoming a morning exerciser.  The last 2 years with EN I've done almost everything at night, up to and including 2.5 hour long runs that end at 11:00 p.m.  Last year I found way too many excuses (work, coaching kids, etc.) to miss evening workouts, and I totally bombed my A- race, the Twin Cities Marathon.  This year I've committed to getting up early and getting it done.  I get up at 5:00, dress and hit the road/trainer by 5:15.  I don't know what y'all are doing in the hour or so between rolling out of bed and getting on the road, but I'm "action Jackson" get up and go!

As for where, the lack of daylight leaves me on the trainer for the bike, but I try to run outside year 'round.  Last year I didn't do a single run on the dreadmill, but with long runs for Boston this year, I'm not sure how that's going to work...30 minutes at 10 below is one thing, 2.5 hours is another entirely.

• Options
    I think I accomplished three weekday AM sessions this season, total. I'm in awe of those athletes that can get those done so soon after waking up!

Everything is immediately after work for me. Except weekends - rides start first thing in the morning.

Every run is outdoors. Exactly zero miles on a treadmill in '09. Weekday rides are on a trainer; weekend rides outdoors, weather permitting.

• Options

I do my bike rides during the week in the morning @ 5:00 am on the trainer.  On the weekend during the winter months I go outside a little later in the day.  I do all my runs outside, when i'm not traveling for work I do them in the morning.  When I travel I do them in the evening. 

• Options

I am all morning. My evil business partner wakes up about 9am EST and if I am not working out, aka "unavailable", my day is done!

• Options

Although I qualify as a Morning Person (up between 5 and 5:45 every day, never use an alarm clock, even on race morning), I HATE running in the morning. Too cold, often dark, feel hungary. I will do treadmill intervals at 6:30 before work in the winter, but that's it. I try to do my long runs usually starting at 1:30 - 2:00 because (now this is REAL OCD) that's when I want to start my IM marathon. Also, it's warmer, and I like running at temps between 65 and 80 or so (not that it ever gets that high here).

I prefer to swim in the mornings; I'm lucky, I have a free 25 meter pool on my way to work. Days I don't swim, I bike commute. (I work 2-3 days a week).

Due to work schedule issues, Tuesdays are AM swim, and afternoon bike trainer/run.

But here in the Pac NW, between Oct and May, I basically time my bike and run sessions ourtside when it's not raining, meaning I may have to switch days around, or do a long run at 10 AM, in order to stay drier.

• Options

Life is better now that I am not getting up at 4:45 for the 6 - 7 swim twice a week. Extra SAUs for not being exhausted at the end of the day. Get most of the bike in on the commute TT (extended the route with one or two hiil repeats). Runs are at lunch during the week. Weekends are typically off with family. Enjoying the OS thanks RnP