Home General Training Discussions
Options

2017 Blue Ridge Parkway Recap (2018 Registration NOW OPEN!)

Edit: 2018 Registration is Now Open. We have 5 New Camper slots (someone signed up while I was posting the page!) and 10 Waitlist slots. Waitlist just means we need to get more staff / support to have you attend. Every year all of our WL folks have attended, so you aren't locked out at all!  So, if the "new camper" link is closed out, use the WL please!

>> https://www.endurancenation.us/camps/crucible-training-camps/ Click Here to Make Your 2018 Camp Deposit

>> Roster in alpha order as of 05/18/2017; One more slot left at regular prices before the waitlist, reg is here <<

Anna Stanbaugh
Bill Youtie
Bob Smith
Brian Hagan
Clark Mitchell
Dan Cioca
Emily Brinkley
Ian Kurth
Jason Clishe
Jed Vanichkachorn
Jeff Braaten
Jeff Sullivan
Joe Hallatschek
Joe Matchette
John Lauchlan
Kimberly Rapp
Kori Martini
Mark Stahlkopf
Michael Blackburn
Molly Mysliwiec
Patty Cohen
Paul Curtin
Ralph Butler
Rich Stanbaugh
Sara Plummer
Scott Davis
Scott Dinhofer
Scott Renick
Stephen Cohen
Trish Marshall

+++++++  Original Post +++++++

The 2017 Blue Ridge Camp is done...and it was EPIC! We had a full house, from veterans and newbies alike...and everyone found their own personal dark place for good work and building fitness. I personally rode 243 miles and climbed 24,826 feet...in just three days.  Bonus that I did it with my fellow teammates and new friends.

>> View the Camp Photo Album Here

Enjoy the recap(s) below. Once returning campers have a chance to make a deposit, I will open this up to the Team on 5/11...so set your reminders! This camp sells out every year...you can follow the official camp page here.  

Day One -- Parkway to Hickory Nut Gap Road (read more)

Coming back to this camp every year – now in our seventh iteration – is always an adventure. There’s nothing like seeing friends and family and reminiscing about camps’ past.

The only thing better then talking about what we used to do is going out there and creating a whole new set of memories. For the 2017 edition and our amazing campers, there were a ton of things that we wanted to do differently.

First and foremost was to find a new first day route… I can proudly say that mission has been accomplished. Check!

2017 BLUE RIDGE CYCLING CAMP DAY TWO –  MOUNT MITCHELL (read more)

The second day of our annual camp is always dedicated to this epic quest: the full ride to and from Mount Mitchell. For those of you who don’t know, Mount Mitchell is the highest point on the eastern seaboard and is one of the many jewels in this incredible part of our country.

In years past we have seen fog– A.k.a., we saw nothing!–Snow, hail, rain and even ice forming on trees in front arise. Today, after warning all of our campers to bring cool year, we had our warmest ascent yet.

Watch the video of my ascent here: https://video.relive.cc/strava_962072256_1493432317948.mp4

2017 BLUE RIDGE CYCLING CAMP DAY THREE – SNAKE MOUNTAIN AND MORE! (read more)

Day Three of the Blue Ridge Parkway cycling camp…and it’s on. Hard to get back on the bike after the epic ride to the top of Mount Mitchell and back. Even harder to stay focused. After all, you just put up the biggest ride of the year the most elevation and distance. Spoiler alert — we found a way!

Camp Registration Opens to the Team on 5/11..don't miss out!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Great pics and HUGE work out there last week all!!  Loved seeing the posts and reading about all the work/big Tales/smack taking place simultaneously!

SS
  • Options
    The 2017 Blue Ridge Camp is done...and it was EPIC! We had a full house, from veterans and newbies alike...and everyone found their own personal dark place for good work and building fitness. I personally rode 243 miles and climbed 24,826 feet...in just three days.  Bonus that I did it with my fellow teammates and new friends.

234 miles.  That's cute.  

@John Withrow...that's about one day's work isn't it?
  • Options
    Yeah @JeremyBehler, but it's at least a good long day's work...

• Options
    @JeremyBehler @John Withrow I know there's altitude on your superbadasslong mountain ride of death...but I think 207 miles with 8,000 feet of gain wouldn't really compare. Especially since your HR only got higher than Zone Two for a massive 13 minutes and 02 seconds....

Now if you did that 3x over so you got some decent elevation we could talk. 

Ps - @Al Truscott Says Mitchell is harder than independence....

• Options

Now if you did that 3x over so you got some decent elevation we could talk. 

I'm game...   when do you want to do it with us?
  • Options
    Count me in!   

And Al just said that to make you feel good.   I've done both and I'd say Independence is harder.  Maybe it's because I did 207 mikes the day prior.   Maybe we should ask the others @Danielle Santucci  @Scott Dinhofer @Rich Stanbaugh @Anna Stanbaugh @Mark Stahlkopf 
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2017 1:57AM
    Two different kinds of tough I think. Mount Mitchell was just EPIC. It is a LONG day... the ride after the last sag is insult to injury.

Altitude made Independence Pass tough. The leg burn during Independence Pass was more extreme, but didn't last as long. Lack of air and cold temps made the descent from Independent Pass sketchy (not for @John Withrow).

To fairly compare the TSS, need to account for altitude differences in FTP. Assuming (based on some analysis and data from Coggin & Friel) that my 10,000'-FTP was about 80% of FTP, the TSS for Independence pass would be ≈360, or 86 TSS/hour. The Mt Mitchell (no adjustment) at 436, or 65 TSS/hour is a less intense ride.

Overall - i would say that Mitchell is Epic (and I was more exhausted at the end of the day), but Independence is Intense.
  • Options
    I won't pick sides here. BUT...I've done a lot of long climbs, and a lot of steep climbs, and I'd rather do the standard 60 mile ride from my house to the top of IP and back than the 94 miles slog to the top of Mitchell and back.

This ride we're doing next month ought to raise the ante:
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20784914

I'm expecting 10 of our 16 campers to do this, with the other six of us doing half each while operating one SAG vehicle. Bear in mind 100 out of 138 miles is OVER 9000' elevation, which means you're riding on less than 69% of sea level oxygen levels. This would be the Queen Stage, were it in the TdF.

If you want to compare other rides, here's the Ride GPS page for our choice of routes:

https://ridewithgps.com/users/364131/routes

We'll do six of these, and then ... 8 of our campers will be running 14 miles each on a Ragnar trail relay the last night of camp; another four are doing the Ultra of 28 miles. 

BRC, ToC, BAC...these are the way I have fun. Thanks to Coaches P&R for enabling all this crazy $h!t
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2017 2:32PM
    ok... was waiting for this. I don't recall IP hurting the way Mitchell did. The rides are very different, IP, like the columbine climb in Leadville, is a looonnnnggg series of climbs with some flatish spots. I truly don't remember too many spots where I felt like the grade was extreme on IP, maybe that's because it was a year ago?

just getting to the mitchell climb was an ordeal, a series of strong hills smacking you around like Rocky facing an opponent until he gets to the championship round. I also had the added factor of constantly playing catchup. @Rich Stanbaugh missed a turn, I waited for him, we pulled each other and eventually @mark stahlkopf who had flatted and got leapfrogged by Mariah, to catch up to the group before the first SAG, then at SAG I was rummaging through the van looking for my bag and missed the "we're leaving" memo from the group and again hammered... 

IP, on the other hand you go up, up, up and again, up, and then you come down.. very benign compared to Mt Mitchell. I ranked Mitchell as my 2nd toughest climb, ever.. 1st being Columbine in Leadville. 

As for @John Withrow & @JeremyBehler riding to Vail and back for 200 miles, the climb in/out of Vail isn't horrible and it only gets you slightly above @Al Truscott's house in elevation, same on the flip. the Epicness of that day was clearly that they put close to 10 hours in the saddle, and for JB, that was on a road bike, my sit bones are aching just thinking of that!
  • Options
    Two different kinds of tough I think. Mount Mitchell was just EPIC. It is a LONG day... the ride after the last sag is insult to injury.

Altitude made Independence Pass tough. The leg burn during Independence Pass was more extreme, but didn't last as long. Lack of air and cold temps made the descent from Independent Pass sketchy (not for @John Withrow).

To fairly compare the TSS, need to account for altitude differences in FTP. Assuming (based on some analysis and data from Coggin & Friel) that my 10,000'-FTP was about 80% of FTP, the TSS for Independence pass would be ≈360, or 86 TSS/hour. The Mt Mitchell (no adjustment) at 436, or 65 TSS/hour is a less intense ride.

Overall - i would say that Mitchell is Epic (and I was more exhausted at the end of the day), but Independence is Intense.
    @Rich Stanbaugh this is why I love you.....first thing you do is go to the data and let it answer the question!    My geek inside appreciates this, even if you allowed it to give you a "Switzerland" answer!
  • Options
    Al Truscott said: 

BRC, ToC, BAC...these are the way I have fun. Thanks to Coaches P&R for enabling all this crazy $h!t
    THIS ^^^^
  • Options
    Every year I regret not having done this camp.  This year was no exception.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2017 8:57PM
    If I'm going to Mallorca in April with EN next year, I might have to tackle BRC in May with EN too!

Why the hell not?!? I need to see dates and expense first, of course, and if it's even an option with all the BRC EN love!
  • Options
    I want to go back desparately, but probably cannot until 2019.  I'm thinking about IM Santa Rosa next year which will probably be 12 May 2018.  
  • Options
    @Al Truscott that ride to Leadville looks fantastic!

Speaking of Epic rides...  Did anyone see @tim cronk just did "Double Lemmon with a twist" as just a "normal" ho hum Monday ride???   I want to be Tim Cronk when I grow up!

https://www.strava.com/activities/966970610

• Options
    @Al Truscott that ride to Leadville looks fantastic!

Speaking of Epic rides...  Did anyone see @tim cronk just did "Double Lemmon with a twist" as just a "normal" ho hum Monday ride???   I want to be Tim Cronk when I grow up!

https://www.strava.com/activities/966970610

Yeah, timmy's ride was interesting... He teased me with a prelude on Sunday night... The leadville ride was my idea.. there's a wicked great coffee shop/ bakery there  :#

I'd rather do Snowmass, to Vail or Glenwood springs via leadville and get someone to SAG us... 

• Options

Ok, I'll chime in. Perhaps I have a better comparison because Danielle dragged me all the way to Carbondale, just to get a Coke, after Independence Pass. That ride was 107 miles in 6:56 at 173NP with 295 TSS. For me Mt. Mitchell was 92 miles in 6:16 at 199NP and 330 TSS. As Scott mentioned above I had "several" flats on the way up Mt. Mitchell so I was playing catch up most of the day. What makes Mt. Mitchell hard is that once you get to the top you're not finished climbing. You still have several thousand feet of rollers to climb on the way back.

Looking forward to the Leadville ride where we will go from hot to cold to hot to cold and back to hot again. And the highlight of the day is the climb back to Al's house on Sinclair "where the training happens". 

• Options

Ok, I'll chime in. Perhaps I have a better comparison because Danielle dragged me all the way to Carbondale, just to get a Coke, after Independence Pass. That ride was 107 miles in 6:56 at 173NP with 295 TSS. For me Mt. Mitchell was 92 miles in 6:16 at 199NP and 330 TSS. 

I think you need to account for altitude to compare NP & TSS Mark... 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqb3vvbl7xqu45m/Screenshot 2017-05-03 11.57.30.png?dl=0
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2017 4:37PM
    So... I just created a route in Strava to try and make Jeremy AND Coach P, And Dinhofer AND Mark AND Rich all happy...   If I can get back to Al-T'-Tude in 2018, Jeremy and I will be doing this ride and y'all are welcome to join us...   (or just do it this yr and I'll have to come up with something even better for 2018)

I named it Snowmass-Leadville-Vail-Snowmass

Get the high altitude climbing out of the way early and it's all downhill until the last 40 or so miles...

https://www.strava.com/routes/8556237

Or use this one if you need a little extra mileage and climbing on the longer route to Vail

https://www.strava.com/routes/8556408

• Options
    @John Withrow Looks like I'll need a 2018 invite to the Al-T-Tude camp....wow!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm in. I've done the copper triangle (part of your second route clockwise: Vail-Copper-Leadville-Vail). Awesome ride!
  • Options
    Why do I feel ike Dr. Frankenstein?

@ Coach Patrick: There's a two day loop (inspired by Dinhofer) which hasn't *yet* made the cut into the Al T'Tude Bad Ass Camp; Day One: Aspen/Independence Pass/Monarch Pass/Gunnison, 157 mi /10,500'.  Day 2 130 mi/8500' Gunnison/Crested Butte/McClure Pass (gravel up and over)/Carbondale/Snowmass. You show up, I'll put it in. The Candy Ass version does it in three days. [I suppose a Withrow variation could be *attempted* in one day between 5 AM and 10 PM. That would be 17.5 mph INCLUDING STOPS. But WHY????]

@ RichStanbaugh/Mark Stahlkopf: FYI, when cycling in the Roaring Fork Valley between about 6000 and 10,000' I discount my FTP by 10% as a rough rule of thumb.

• Options
    edited May 3, 2017 5:35PM
    So... I just created a route in Strava to try and make Jeremy AND Coach P, And Dinhofer AND Mark AND Rich all happy...   If I can get back to Al-T'-Tude in 2018, Jeremy and I will be doing this ride and y'all are welcome to join us...   (or just do it this yr and I'll have to come up with something even better for 2018)

Get the high altitude climbing out of the way early and it's all downhill until the last 40 or so miles...

Or use this one if you need a little extra mileage and climbing on the longer route to Vail

I actually suggested this route earlier. Al thinks it's not possible to do it in daylight due to the amount of climbing.. But heck, I'm game!!

see al's post on the idea of taking the camp on the road to come around the other way, also an option. 

after Al rejected the route you posted above, I had the thought of having the group meet up in glenwood for dinner & hot springs. we could do Snowmass to Glenwood via leadville easily

and I am happy if @John Withrow is happy  :o
  • Options

@ RichStanbaugh/Mark Stahlkopf: FYI, when cycling in the Roaring Fork Valley between about 6000 and 10,000' I discount my FTP by 10% as a rough rule of thumb.

@Al Truscott - That seems spot on with the Friel chart. I think that Mark & I are paying a higher price because we are not acclimated.

ps - I think you may have created a monster Dr Frankenstein!
  • Options

@John Withrow I like that first route....it's not an out and back like our Snowmass>Vail>Snowmass route.  But I would ride around in circles at the end just to get above 200 miles.  And the elevation profile really isn't that bad.   I think it would be easier than our route as the 'dark place' from miles 125-170 would all be net downhill.   Do you remember those fooking headwinds as we headed west toward Glenwood Springs?!?!?!   

Now I'm reminiscing about that epic ride.   What a day that was.
  • Options
    Jeremy Behler said:
    @John Withrow ... I would ride around in circles at the end just to get above 200 miles...

Now I'm reminiscing about that epic ride.   What a day that was.
    I assumed we'd miss a turn or 2 or go into and out of enough water stops to add the couple of extra tenths of a mile...  But would definitely ride in circles in Al's driveway if needed to tick over 200!

And yup, that was an awesome day!
  • Options
    Uh, this thread seems to have been hijacked. It's supposed to be about BRC 2017 recap and getting people to consider signing up for 2018. I'm going to offer up a new thread for pondering potential epic rides and smack talk related thereto.

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/23121/cities-altus-fortius-epic-en-camp-rides-past-and-future/p1?new=1
  • Options
    Leave it to @Al Truscott to point out the obvious and keep us all in line, but also giving us a venue to further pontificate!  

On that note, BRC 2017 did seem freaking awesome as well (watching jealously from afar)...   I wonder if I turn 2018 into a comeback year and do them both... hmmmmm...   ;)

• Options
    I was just going to ask if you are coming next year @John Withrow
    I am doing Mallorca, BRC & probably Al Camp... High probability that I bail on BRC, UNLESS @John Withrow signs up for it... be at your computer on 5/11 when it opens up!!!
  • Options
    My bike has a headlamp.....