Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Turby's Micro

Hey Coach P!
After 13 months this hamstring injury is finally feeling better! For the past 4-5 months I've been doing almost all easy aerobic zone 1 stuff to get it to heal. The past month or so I've been ramping up the intensity gradually to where I'm getting some solid workouts in. All the easy stuff has gotten my heart rate "engine" in great shape to the point where my Sunday ride included an hour in mid zone 3 that felt more like upper z3 to low z4  with my HR at 105 (should be more like 115-120). My legs and RPE are screaming "this is hard" while my heart is yawning and ready to take a nap. Not all negative but my question is what workouts are best to get my legs to catch up to HR (1-2 min z5?) and how to incorporate them into my plan for 70.3 Steelhead August 13th. Hope you are healthy and all are great!! Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    @Turby Wright - man, that's great news...hamstrings are no joke, so I am glad you are on it. That's said, we still need to be careful with the intensity / volume.

[Side question, was there a specific event or action that caused you to injure it?]

I really want to be careful with the running. So I'd rather you do the "heavy lifting" on the bike, and keep the run not flashy. 

So if you are doing 3 bikes a week per the plan, you already have FTP during the week...I would keep sunday at ABP effort...but Saturday I would make work the shorter harder stuff. Say you have a 2.5 hour ride..warm up with an hour steady, and some standing, etc. Then do some 1 to 2 minute intervals with 10 minutes of rest as steady riding. Build these up (each interval a bit harder). This "harder" work will recruit bigger motor units, and that work will translate to the leg strength. 

Week One is like 10 of these...then we can build a bit. The rest between is critical for best effort on the interval. Think weights on a bike. Do these sitting up if you can so your hammy isn't under terrible stress. 

As for the run, I'd pick some rolling terrain to make the run more challenging without running too hard. No harder than Zone 3 please regardless. And every 3 weeks with running harder, you'll need one week of just all aerobic to be safe. 

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick
  • Options
    Exactly the guidance I needed! The original injury happened last March after I  did a couple of 11 mile runs at about 7:25 pace getting ready for Eagleman. After a few months it felt a little better and while pushing to about 7:00 pace on a 7 mile run it popped! A few months later on Ali'i drive, same distance, same pace it really popped!! Since then a month off then VERY easy. The last month or so it's been much better. I've kind of been doing what you suggest for the last 3-4 weeks. Mileage has been 23-28 per week, and every other week starting a few weeks ago I've been doing 2 mile warmup, then 2 x 2 miles with 1 mile easy. On the 2 mile sets not going under 7:30 pace. If I creep under I slow down and the ham has been feeling good after that. All other runs and off weeks have been nice easy TRP stuff. The bike plan sounds perfecto!! Thanks
  • Options
    One more question. Since I'm definitely stronger on the run than the bike what do you think about swapping a 45-60 easy run for maybe a two hour bike (zone 2ish) every other week?
  • Options
    @Turby Wright - I would be okay with you making that adjustment every other week with the bike. Remember the hamstring is under stress when you're in the aero position so you can also spend more time sitting upper standing on the bike to alleviate additional stress or tension. Even with that adjustment to a bike workout, I still would want you to run a mile. Even just running regardless of the distance or time adds up. Keep up the self-care, I know it's not easy!!!
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

•  Las Olas Olympic distance triathlon 3/8/2020 Ft Lauderdale
    • Ironman 70.3 Eagleman (2020-06-14) #70.3Eagleman_20
    • Ironman World Championship (2020-10-10) #IMKona_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•  Last updated by Coach on  November 19, 2019
    • On 11/18/2019 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/15/2019
    • On 12/16/2019 Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/12/2020
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  04/12/2020
    • On 4/13/2020  Load the    EN Half Run Focused to end on  6/7/2020
    • On 6/8/2020  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  06/21/2020
    • On 6/22/2020  Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks)  to end on  08/02/2020
    • On 7/20/2020  Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on  10/11/2020
    • On 10/12/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  11/08/2020

Your Notes

Eagleman 2019 in 5:15 (2nd) with bad hamstring, IM Maryland 2019 in 11:40 (1st) with hamstring and achilles injury. Took a few very easy weeks after Maryland.Since Nov 1st 2 :45 min swims, 3 1hr-11/2 hr bikes, 4-5 runs for 15-20 mile total, 2 strength sessions. Goal is to get the run back and get and stay healthy! Both injuries are better!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Great stuff P. Thanks!! I'll keep you posted.

• Options

How's it going Turby? Four weeks on and I see the WKOs rolling in...let me know!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hey Coach, thanks for checking! Feeling good and gearing up for the OS. I've been swimming 2 x week, Zwifting 3 x week usually 1 VO2 workout, Friday Freight Train and Saturday ride, running 5 x week 15-20 miles per week. Also 2 strength workouts. Hamstring is 100% good. The Achilles is still there but after about 1/2 mile running it goes away. I ran a holiday 5k just for fun and held 7:05 pace and felt good. I was happy and surprised with that considering low mileage and all slow training (8:30-9:15). My good friend/podiatrist who got me through IM Maryland with shock wave treatments wants me to start coming again a couple of times a month so I think I'll do that,

Best

• Options

That’s great news. I know it’s going to be challenging for you, but please work to keep that run mileage in a very reasonable space.

I have zero data that suggests running 30 or 40 miles a week in January for an October 8 is more is better than just running 20 miles. You can get all the stimulation you need and build tons of fitness center 20 miles a week range.

We want to put you in a place for you can stay fit and healthy, not just fast. I think 20 miles a week is that sweet spot for you.

• Options

Well it's always something! I tore my meniscus again. I had it done about ten years ago and I'll be back on the table Feb 11th. I should be back on the bike a few days after and some light running a week or so after. In the meantime I've been getting in good bike, swim and strength work. I guess it's a good time of year for it to happen!

• Options

Oh my God! What the heck are you talking about? Please tell me you were doing something exciting when it happened. And more importantly, does Carol need any emotional support when you are recovering?

• Options

Nothing exciting, just wear and tear on a 65 yo body that's been running for 45 years! I'll be fine. Carol is fine and sends her love! She's busy getting the house organized. We're moving out near the grandkids (Wayne, Pa. area) sometime in the spring. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!!

• Options

@Turby Wright oh, I see. You just don't wanna have to carry any of those heavy boxes! 🤣Sounds like you already know what you are in store for, but I'm certainly here to help you as need be. Don't hesitate to reach out as you enter the rehab phase!

• Options

Hey P, I'm a week out from surgery and all went well. Started back on the bike 3 days after and am about back up to the intensity from before so that's good. No running yet, I'm going back to the Doc tomorrow for follow up. I think your original idea of keeping run volume low is right on and even more so now. I'm hoping to start some 2 mile runs soon. Certainly my goal is to get to Kona with enough run volume in me to have a decent run there. I have Eagleman in June but not too concerned about performance there. Want to save the running for Kona. I'd like to keep upping the bike work (according to what you think) and do the run minimum to get by until it's time to go for October. What are your thoughts on bike volume/structure (my short high end stuff is my weakness) and run volume enough to get through Eagleman? Thanks!!

• Options

Turby - glad to hear things are going well post surgery. It will be a process; we need to balance your drove with where your fitness is right now. With 16 weeks to Eagleman I say that you can do 3 more weeks of re entry riding. Then we can do 4 weeks of shorter harder riding and the use the last 9 weeks into Eagleman (we will need to build some endurance).

Those 4 weeks should be:

Tue: 110% FTP 4’ (4’) intervals.....building from 3 to 5. Remainder of ride time at Z2.

Thu: VO2 work of 30” on / 30” off, starting at 2 x 6’ and building 2x8’, 2x10’, 2x12’. Remainder of ride time at Z3.

Sat: just easy stuff at Zone 2...you can Do one sprint per 30 minutes...like up a hill or whatever. But that’s it.

let me know what you think!

patrick

• Options

It looks great to me! The doctor said to start some jogging in another week so assuming it feels ok I'm going to keep it to 2-3 miles for a while and just build up some frequency. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!!