Home General Training Discussions
Options

Bike Fit/Position and Epididymitis

I am posting this topic to help drive home the importance of bike fit and bike position from a male perspective and the consequences that could result when fit and position are compromised.  In addition to costing you watts, speed and discomfort, there are serious medical consequences to the male anatomy when this aspect of the sport is overlooked.  I will explain one of those issue from a real experience this week.

Warning: scrolling down, there is a sketch of a male reproductive system for illustrative purposes.

I have two bikes, both tri-bikes.  One is 12+ year old Light Speed Saber Titanium custom built for my 37” inseam and short torso.  The second is a 2015 FELT IA 58”.  I raced the FELT last year at IMWI with no issues having had a good bike fit and time in the saddle training.

Fast forward to this year.  I spent the OS and GF plans on the Light Speed in the trainer which gave me time to disassemble and properly clean/tune up the FELT. I had built up some good bike fitness over those months with a bike CTL ~60.

Saturday before last I decided it’s time to switch over to the FELT.  I did a 3 hr ride on Sat and 2.5hr ride on Sunday covering 110 miles on the trainer and ~400+ TSS. No bike fit was done and I had switched from a less aggressive to a more aggressive position.

Then, the shit hit the fan...........

Sunday night, Monday and Monday night I had a brutal fever in bed and swollen right testicle.  I was sure I was soon be on CNN for the first man to have ever grown a 3rd testicle overnight…..WTF?  I make it through the week after seeing a Dr. and taking antibiotics.  Worries of testicular cancer, possible STD (how could that be?) and other issues came up as this was not really associated with the bike.  I pulled off a split run by Friday using shear grit and stupidity. I swam on Sat for a break and began to feel a little better.  By Sunday I hit again with a 3 hour, 60.4, mile ride on the FELT in the trainer.  BOOM!  Sunday night spiraled down into a severe fever which kept me in bed on Monday barely able to make to the bathroom to vomit from the pain and occasionally urinate.  It was time for an ultrasound.........

At this point both I knew it was correlated to the bike, the position and switching over from the Light speed to the FELT.

An ultrasound and testing at the urologist on Wednesday ruled out STDs, Testicular Cancer and other issues.  The answer was very clear now.

There is a gland on the back of each testicle called the Epididymis responsible for creating new sperm and providing blood supply to the testicle:

When that gland becomes infected, the result is Epididymitis.  Epididymitis is swelling that occurs in the back of the testicle in the tube that carries sperm. 

In my case, I had spent too much time up front on the seat in a more aggressive position resulting in the rubbing/irritating of the back side of the testicle and I did it two weekends in a row.  Now some might say, "You need a new seat", however, no seat is going to overcome an improper fit and too much time spent with pressure on the front of that seat.

A properly fitted bike will take your weight off of the soft tissues that you are currently squishing and put it on your ischial tuberosities, where it belongs.  In more simple terms, you need to be seated on the back/wider part of the seat supported primarily by your bone structure.  This takes more pressure off the nerves, tissue and reproductive organs.

In my case unfortunately, it always has been "Live and Learn".........

Recovery consist of antibiotics and compression shorts with no SBR in week 1.  (Necessary but difficult for a guy who likes 14-15 hours a week of opiate endorphins....)

Week 2 allows swimming (sounds like swim camp) and week 3 introduces running and swimming.  That should set me up just in time to arrive at the Aspen, Co. BadAss camp with no bike fitness......always good to be humbled.....

I hope this helps anyone considering the need for a bike fit, proper bike position and understanding one of many consequences that can result from taking shortcuts in this area. 

As always, regardless of the situation or circumstances, no matter what, KMF....................

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to hear what you are going through, THAT must be painful.. 
    I just went through heck trying to get a good saddle for my new Road bike.. Finally found one that I don't get numbness from, still get incredible sit bone pain though. I did go to a local good fitter to dial this in pre-purchase and help me select the right brands/sizes that worked best for me with their advice. 

now, over on the tribike, I did a fit with Todd Kenyon (one of our sponsors - TT Bike Fit) last year. While i took a day and drove up to RI, He does offer a web based service as well. I never had any of the issues I have on the road bike on my P5, I now feel confident that I am riding in the right position, and with Todd's blessing have dropped cockpit another CM recently.. more to come, but totally agree that fit makes all the difference and the results can be disastrous. 

Heal up @Shaughn Simmons
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that, man.  I developed that after Boston a few years back, doc suggested that the little fellas had too much freedom or not enough and that the downhills did the job.  Not something I ever want to repeat.  If I were a horse, they would have just put me down, and it would have been 100% justified.
  • Options
    Dam @Shaughn Simmons, sorry to hear about it! Follow the doc's orders and heal up!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that @Shaughn Simmons.  Thanks for sharing.  I hope the recovery goes well!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear.. so I guess what you though was food poissoning was that.

Hope you heal fast!! and thanks for sharing
  • Options
    That really sucks! I hope you get better quickly. Yet one more thing I didnt know could happen to a person.  

Were you uncomfortable (pain or pressure) while in the more agressive position on the Felt? or was it just a thought of "I need some time to get used to this"
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons Ouch! Sorry for you pain. Heal up well and quickly.  One question, if you had a good bike fit on the Felt last year and didn't have any issues, what was different this year after switching to the Felt?  How do your prevent it from happening again...get a bike fit every year? I guess that was two questions.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2017 3:13PM
    Thanks all..!

@Derrek Sanks  when you disassemble the bike completely, as I did for cleaning and new components, then reassemble… Your bike fit is lost for the most part.....
  • Options
    sorry to hear, speedy recovery!
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons sorry to hear bro and like you know ... "I know the feeling" of not getting to do workouts and pretty much going crazy thinking about it.  I guess if we listen to the advise and heal up we can turn the bodies around and do amazing things in IMMT.
  • Options
    Well that was informative.  I really should have stopped reading after your disclaimer but your well written account of the experience had me drawn in until the end. As a chica I have no words of wisdom like the men stating theirs above, I just wish you a speedy recovery and will wait for my chance to ask some follow on questions (my selfish way of slowing you down to stay on your wheel) when we are climbing independence pass in a few weeks ;-). 
  • Options
    Thanks all very much! Coming along here well so far.  I feel like my V8 only has about 6 cylinders working at the moment but each day is better than the prior one.

I hope to be back playing with the big boys in a couple of weeks!
  • Options
    Whoa.  Not good.  Glad you are on the mend.  The sunshine in this is I *may* get to see your back a couple seconds longer in Aspen before it gets tiny and disappears!  Be a good patient KFM man...you'll be back on track in no time!
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons glad you are diagnosed and on the path to recovery.   With your base 2 weeks off will barely be a blip.

It was really hard for me to refrain from making an off color joke here since I know you are ok.   So hard.   I just wrote and deleted a sentence three times here.........
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing! As an FYI, I've had good luck with the Adamo saddle -- no perineal issues. Of course, that saddle also came with a bike fit.  The open space nose makes it easy on the *junk*.  I would add the importance of a good saddle lube and baby/wet wipes for keeping things clean: the friction generated in the saddle can very easily lead to skin abrasions = > infections. I wonder if being locked into a position on the trainer for that long, given the bike fit issue, exacerbated the problem.  All the more reason for a good bike fit if you spend a lot of time on the trainer.
  • Options
    Doing much better this week team.  My V8 has moved to 7 cyclinders functioning but not much gas when I try to step on the pedal yet.  Swelling has gone down about 50%.  So the plan is to keep progressing, don't do anything stupid or impatiently that might result in a set back and keep monitoring this week with short runs and swims.......

@Tony Ledden - thanks and I've tried the Adamo in the past but it is too wide for me and runs the inside of my legs.  Current seat is a nice leather expensive Italian seat that work fine last year.....the main issue is the position an staying seating on the back of the seat vs. upfront with pressure near the nose of the seat.

@Trish Marshall - ha ha, looking forward to the camp except for the part where I show up with no bike fitness...

@JeremyBehler - I now understand what it is like to have 3 down there, definitely not enough space and a tricky process daily......don't know how you manage......  :-)

• Options
    @Shaughn Simmons Late to this thread, apparently I need to pay more attention to the forums but I seem to be just hanging on in my IM training.  Glad to hear things are getting better.  I'm sure you will rip up the camp with your base, but it would have been nice to go in to camp with you best fitness to throw down on some rides. 
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons glad you are diagnosed and on the path to recovery.   With your base 2 weeks off will barely be a blip.

It was really hard for me to refrain from making an off color joke here since I know you are ok.   So hard.   I just wrote and deleted a sentence three times here........

@JeremyBehler you should come hang with me in my clinic. The struggle is real
  • Options
    Good thing about this, it does heal up, but can take a long time and prone to recurrences, so hang loose
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2017 1:53PM
    @JeremyBehler you should come hang with me in my clinic. The struggle is real
    @Doug Sutherland  It must be difficult working with a bunch of dicks all day long  :p
  • Options
    @JeremyBehler - not sure wearing a helmet would help in this situation........most likely fake news but funny!