Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

George P - Keys 100 - 50K

Thanks again, to Team EN for preparing me for the tough run on 5/20. Your plans are spot on!! Now on to the race report...

The one aspect of an ultra marathon that I like is the distinguishing factor that is inherent in each race and these nuances make each race special.  Family and friends say that a 50k is only a bit longer than a marathon, but it is not until I point out these characteristics of an ultra that they appreciate what it takes.  For example, my first 50k concluded with about a 20-mile beach run and preceded by an 11 mile run on a golf cart path.

The Keys 100 50K unique starting time is the most distinct feature.  It started at 1 pm.  If you haven’t experienced the heat and the humidity of the Florida Keys in mid-May, I think it was oppressive.  It reminded me of an open oven door but with humidity.  The heat constantly bouncing off of Highway 1 was unrelenting.  Race time temperature was 87 degrees but with humidity it felt like 97 degrees!

Yet again, my Endurance Nation plan was spot on for the race.  My legs felt strong and if not for the massive blisters on each foot, I probably would have had a faster time.  I’m not sure how to correct this issue, but if I do this race again, I need to solve this problem.  I can’t run 15 miles with blisters on the balls of my feet. (For feedback, I started the race in my Vibrams but by mile 12 switched into sneakers. I have done a 50K and a marathon in my Vibrams and have done numerous other races in them without incident).

Now that this race is out of the way, it is onto 70.3 Lake Placid.

Here are some photos...before and after. :)

Comments