Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Patti Thompson's Eagleman Race Plan - First HIM!

Here's what I have worked out, based on my training to date, which has been hot and cold. Still nursing PF/PTT issues for my run.

Pre-Race:
Driving to Cambridge on Saturday morning at about 6:00 a.m. (we are up early no matter what)  It is about a 4 hour ride.  Will stop and eat, walk and stretch as needed.  Straight to race site, check in, see the expo a little bit and check in bike.  Meet up with training partner who should be in town by then. 

Drive to Seaford DE and check in to hotel around 3pm.  Snacks and breakfast ready for morning, have pizza for dinner. 

Sunday morning:  breakfast is cinnamon raisin bagel with peanut butter and honey and banana and coffee!
Sip GE and take a gel before swim

Swim:
I am taking both full sleeve and sleeveless wetsuits with me.  Since I am in no danger of being competitive this time out, I will wear my sleeveless even if doing so makes me ineligible for awards.  Want to conserve as much energy as possible on the swim, just stay in my little bubble, mind my stroke (use my left arm fully!) and count/sing my way through it.  One buoy at a time!

T1:  No socks for the bike, shoes clipped in to pedals, Garmin 910 on my aero bars along with bottle of GE.  Another disposable bottle of GE on my downtube. 

Bike:
Riding 60 up front and aero disc on rear - have had no issues with it in cross or headwinds on training rides.
Have had a wicked time of finding my happy place as far as my power goes.  Plan is to err on the side of easier is better, therefore aiming for mid- to high 120's for the first 2/3rds of the bike, then into the low 130's for the last 1/3rd.  Of course, the first half hour is all about getting the HR where I want it (130's) and then worrying about power.  Garmin is set for alert every 30 minutes at which time I will stand/sit up/eat something - the eating part may get stretched out to 45 minutes depending on how I feel later in the ride, but standing and stretching (and giving the crotch a break!) is at least every 30 minutes!  Also bringing extra single packs (2) of chamois cream. 

T2:  Socks on with running shoes, hat on, Garmin onto my wrist.  I have sun sleeves if needed and will have baggies for ice also if needed. 

Run:
Plan is to worry all about the HR the first 3 miles - if I have to walk to get it down in the 148-155 range, so be it.  First miles will be S-L-O-W with walking 30 paces at each mile split/aid stations.  Miles 4-10 allow the HR to creep up into the 160's but err on the easy side.  Mile 10 evaluate and Mile 11 all bets are off and hope to have some gas in the tank.

Please comment and let me know what you think!

Thank you in advance!!!
Patti

Comments

• Options
    @Patti Thompson - I'm also staying in Seaford.  I hope we get a chance to meet.  Nice straight forward race plan.  It's simple and to the point as it should be for your first HIM.  One thing to consider is your frequency of taking in hydration/nutrition, especially on what most likely will be a warm day.  The guidance I've seen and use is drinking every 15-20 minutes with the goal of consuming your pre-determined number of calories/ounces of fluid every hour.  This frequency also provides a steady stream of nutrition/hydration to your system throughout the ride.  

Congratulations on getting to this point on your first 70.3!  Relax, enjoy the experience and you'll have a blast!

• Options

@Derrek Sanks  Thank you so much for your insights!  My training has been mostly in rather pleasant temps so yes, my hydration levels have not been as important as in classic "Eagleman-Hot" conditions!  I intent to make use of the water for dousing myself and the Gatorade on the course if I need to up those levels and drink more often!  I will be on the lookout for you!  We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Seaford!