Home General Training Discussions
Options

Under wetsuit/Penalty question?

Dumb newbie questions here....I've only done olympic distance or shorter (with no wetsuit), so this is my first half-ironman. I'm doing Steelhead in MI on Aug 13 .I was looking over the rules and there are "no bare torsos" allowed. I was planning on wearing my tri shorts under my wetsuit. My question is: Do I need to wear my tri top under my wetsuit, or can I just wear my sports bra and then put the tri top on in transition? I know it's good to start taking off the wetsuit right away, so I wasn't sure if that was a penalty....

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    It's funny when I read this, I didn't realize you were female, so the "sports bra" comment threw me for a loop. haha

Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question with certainty, but I believe the "no bare torsos" rule was for the bike/run and more importantly, the finish line (ex, families, children, pictures, etc).

If I were you, I'd wear a tri top, for two reasons:
    1) afraid of violating the bare torso rule, and
    2) trying to pull a tri top over wet skin is a major difficulty! Try putting on any clothing over wet skin and it's a total pain.

Just my $.02.
  • Options
    Not positive on the rule either but for simplicity and removing one extra part from transition I wear my tri top under the wetsuit.
  • Options
    @Laura Searle

The new "torso" rule doesn't apply to the swim.  In the 2017 WTC rules, they only added provisions in the bike and run portions as follows:

"(g) Cycling with a bare torso is prohibited.  Athletes must wear a shirt, jersey, or sport‐top at all times during the cycling segment of the Race; (Stop‐and‐Go Time Penalty, DSQ if not  remedied promptly)

. . .

(d) Running with a bare torso is prohibited.  Athletes must wear a shirt, jersey, or sport‐top at all times during the run segment of the Race; (Stop‐and‐Go Time Penalty, DSQ if not  remedied promptly)"

I haven't seen any explanation for what a "sport-top" is, but I've seen lots of topless guys and sports-bra'd women in T1 putting on tri tops and jerseys (I was one of them in PR70.3 in March).  In fact, I assume that women can still ride and run with only a sports bra on top and comply with the rules, but that's just an assumption.

Head IM Referree Jimmy Riccitello said the new rule was implemented  “In an effort to better define the rule prohibiting bare torsos during the bike and run, and to align with the global standard, uniforms with a front zipper must not be undone below the point of the end of the breastbone (sternum).  If not remedied promptly, athletes will be issued a disqualification.”

So . . . go with the sports bra at Steelhead if you want.  Frankly, I'd just wear the tri top under the WS so as to avoid a huge wrestling match between you, your wet skin and a very stubborn piece of lycra. 

It's a great race, especially if the weather cooperates.  Fast bike, just beware of potholes.  A climb on each of the two loops of the run, but a great downhill the last mile to the finish.

MR

• Options
    Pro tip for getting into a tri top while wet in T1... step into it and pull it up, rather than pulling over your head. Much less resistance from wet skin.

On hot days, when racing with two pieces, I have routinely rolled up my tri top to the level of my Heart Rate Monitor. Never had a penalty issue.
  • Options
    @Scott Alexander Thanks! (I better change my profile picture to a more womanly one- haha!)
  • Options
    @Gordon Cherwoniak @Al Truscott @Mike Roberts @Scott Alexander

I appreciate your help! One more quick question- I have an EN singlet- it's not lycra but pretty tight...is this good enough? Can I wear this under the wetsuit? (It's stretchy material, like a cycling jersey....)
  • Options
    @Laura Searle The En singlet is what I've worn under my wetsuit.  Just give it a test run or two prior to the race.