Last open marathon was a while back

13.1 Best Time in Last Five Years
1:29:31 - St. Louis Go Half Marathon

Your Strongest Discipline *
Swim

Your Weakest Discipline *
Bike

Your Weakest Discipline: Tell Us More... *
You likely know the deal. I can't seem to get the horsepower as high as I think I should. I tend to do better with longer efforts at a lower wattage than super high watts (at least for me) for a shorter period.

Your Injury / Difficulty History *
Hips tend to be tight/have bone spurs and the like in there. I have dealt with (and right now continue to mitigate) Achilles issues. Otherwise, I am just getting older.

Top Three Lessons Learned in your triathlon career. *
1. Execution matters, and I have better defined what that means for me. I now know what I need to base my race on (HR for the most part with other measures being secondary).
2. I'm a pretty good swimmer and runner, with a weaker bike. The lesson is, that means I can't miss on execution to compete. I don't have the A+ skill to bail out poor execution.
3. Getting into the right place for a race is more about steady building, not the big ramp up.
4. (this one's for free) I need to recognize where I am at fitness wise. As you once told me, at points I am not Ironman Scott. That is hard to swallow some times.

Your Top Three Races / Events this Season (with dates):
IM Lou - 10/15/17
I'm thinking about North Face 50 mile run in the first weekend of December.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 12, 2017 1:25PM
    6/8/2017 Call Notes

Thanks for the talk this week. Excited to get back into a rhythm with you on your training, and to continue to refine the process for results. 

My Big Take Aways
    • Bike Mileage Is Up. You had a great week at the Tour of CA. Big bump in the bike mileage and without related work / life stress. 20 CTL points added is legit. You can't beat that, good for the soul and the body. Nice!
    • You Feel Behind on the Run. The long run is down, nervous with the achilles and only so much time until race day. Truth be told, you have really listened to your body after some fairly aggressive off season running. You can only handle so much (vs doing) and we need to walk that line. 
    • Your Swim is Consistent. You don't need to swim much to swim well, we'll have to take this into consideration for this race prep build up. 

Macro Training 

1. Race Prep Starts for you on July 17th, leaving you five more weeks of open time. 
    2. Let's Continue to Build that Bike Up on the intensity side... volume not needed at the present time due to recent TOC and impending IM build. 
    3. Continue the boring steady runs. Would be great to have you average 25 miles a week, no flash, thru mid-July. 

Next Five Weeks to Race Prep

Monday = Run + Swim (get loose)

Tue - Zwift Race / Hard + Run over lunch.

Wed - 7 mile run near house.

Thu - Zwift Race / Hard + Swim

Fri - Swim Long (3.5 to 4k) + Run Short over Lunch

Sat - Easy Bike + Brick Run - two to three hours here, not hard. Just time, spinning. The bike is the first workout to go, just keep the run at 5 miles here. 

Sun - Sunday ABP ride 2 hours (no run)

Future Questions

1. Will you be able to train on the course pre race this year? 
    2. What is your target body comp and what are you right now? 
    3. Anything else?
This discussion has been closed.