Home Announcements 🎙
Options

Update: Coach Rich Stepping Away from a Direct Role in Endurance Nation

2»

Comments

• Options
    Rich,

The "bad cop" will be missed sorely! Although I was personally not happy to learn this news, I sincerely wish you all the best in your future endeavors! We have all learned a wealth of knowledge from you...
  • Options
    Rich:  First and foremost congratulations.  I look forward to reading about your future 2-wheeled exploits.  

I regret never having met you in person, yet your voice seems to bounce around my skull in the middle of races and training sessions- a testament to the common sense advice you have given in podcasts, videos, the wiki etc.  

i'm gonna be selfish and say I am disappointed I now may never get to do the TOC camp, unless your 'consulting' leads you back to that (hint, hint). 

All the best for the future.  
  • Options
    Rich,

It has been an absolute privilege to train under you. You took me from an uneducated sprint racer to an 2x Ironman. I'll miss seeing you at the finish lines. Your training and guidance is immeasurable and priceless. Hope our paths cross on the trails someday. Wishing you and yours nothing but the best in the future! 

Brian
  • Options
    Best of luck, Rich, and continue enjoying challenges, your gal and new beginnings.  Bob
  • Options
    Rich, I'm sad to hear that you are leaving but glad for you to recognize the need to change and accept that challenge. I don't have the history with you that a lot of people do here, but I see your influence in the training plans and the team philosophy. I appreciate that you and Patrick were able to look at what works and what doesn't and evolve over time. Change is the only constant and it's almost always hard while going through it whether it's self imposed or imposed exernally. All the best. I hope our paths cross again. Cheers, Mark
  • Options
    @Coach Rich, you have been an integral part of my Triathlon and Endurance Sports journey.  When I read the outpouring of support above, I can say that I echo a lot of what was said (and wish I was earlier in the post to have written much of it myself)!  You have helped to create the very strong base and very deep roots that underpin the philosophies and culture of EN.  You will sorely be missed and I hope you all the very best in your next chapter, which I'm sure will be epic!  Please keep the rubber side down though...  You also always have a place to stay in MN if your travelling van ever makes it out this way.  I think I still owe you like 40 beers!

I'll never forget you telling me to "Turn off your brain and just run" in the latter half of IMLP.  Hell, you said lots of things to me during lots of IM's...  It seems like you always knew exactly the right thing to say in that crucial moment in time.

As for the Future of EN, I have seen many evolutions and iterations over the past 6 years (of my membership) and it seems as though each minor twist and turn makes the team and group stronger and deeper through new cohesions.  I think we will all miss the "Big Badass Bad Cop", but I for one am also excited to experience what the future holds.  

Cheers!  --JW
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2017 3:13PM
    I quietly, right or wrong, categorize people I meet and observe into 4 general categories:

1) Those who take vs. contribute, cause problems and issues and challenges for the rest of us to solve.

2) Those who are nice people, don't mean any harm to anyone, polite respectful and generally pleasant to be around.

3) Those who are workers, thinkers, contributors vs. takers and whom try to help others by using their talents.

Then there is the very rare 4th type of individual which leads me to Coach Rich:

4) Those who not only use their talents to teach, help and guide others through leadership but also have a unique ability to motivate others to be better than they otherwise might be, to grow and to become that individual who passes this rare trait on, who hands the torch off to the apprentice whom then carries the responsibility to continue the tradition....these are very rare individuals, the ones who can influence others to do the same and replicate themselves.....this is the light in which I have always seen Coach Rich.  They effectively propagate leadership across many other individuals.  Its funny, but when you effectively communicate to someone whom respects you that you expect them to hit a bar which is higher than the one they have set for themselves, it is amazing how many times that individual will step up to the challenge and hit that bar.  

I recall my very first Ironman in 2009 at IMLV where both R n P were in attendance.  

During the pre race dinner I pulled Coach R aside and expressed my concern about the race as I had never run more than 18 miles in the training on any given day, I have never run a stand alone marathon and I have never comprehended an IM.

Coach R looked at me in that very serious face we all know and he said, "Shaughn, you've done the training, you've put in the time, you belong at this race..........do EVERYTHING I told you to do during the race and you will be fine....."

well.......would you believe I ran that entire marathon?......Leadership, treating people as you expect them to be/become not as they are.........a rare trait.

Coach R, thanks for building this place for us.  Please come see us often and never change who you are!

SS

• Options
    Coach Rich - this is hard to hear. Your perspective on keeping us crazy triathletes centered will be missed. I will remember all your words of wisdom at the IM Tahoe Camp 2013. I can still see Riley on stage at the  4-Keys Talk. I will miss your wit and practical advice on racing.  I love that you could keep things light when things felt serious, like the picture of you at the Kona swim practice 2016.
    Semper Fi 
    Sheila

• Options
    I hate to see you go Rich, but wish you the very best in your future.  We first met in 2004 at the Crucible Fitness Long Course Camp at Emory University.  I'd just signed up for my first 140.6 race at Great Floridian and hadn't a clue how to start or complete the journey.  I had a very fun and relatively uneventful finish to that event and many more since.  I've always found your coaching and philosophy second to none for us Age Groupers.  You have created a one-of-a-kind community/family here.  I've enjoyed the many years association with you and EN.  Best of Luck to you!
  • Options
    I think everyone is missing the point and no one seems to understand how this has effected me. I am the reverse cycling widow in this situation.

A month ago, Rich moved 30 miles away.  In L.A. speak, that's over an hour.  

I have lost a valuable, valuable piece of manpower.  Do you know how hard it is to replace a guy like Rich as a training partner?  He has a flexible schedule, an understanding of the rules, a no nonscence approach and a shared philosophy.  

Its very hard hard to find another guy that can ride 75 minutes near threshold at lunch without a bunch of chit chat or a coffee stop.  You can't find that guy on Tinder. I have tried.  :(
  • Options
    I think everyone is missing the point and no one seems to understand how this has effected me. I am the reverse cycling widow in this situation.

A month ago, Rich moved 30 miles away.  In L.A. speak, that's over an hour.  

I have lost a valuable, valuable piece of manpower.  Do you know how hard it is to replace a guy like Rich as a training partner?  He has a flexible schedule, an understanding of the rules, a no nonscence approach and a shared philosophy.  

Its very hard hard to find another guy that can ride 75 minutes near threshold at lunch without a bunch of chit chat or a coffee stop.  You can't find that guy on Tinder. I have tried.  :(
    Welcome to the world of the rest of us :D ! Hate to give you the wake up call, but I know many of us have to train Hawaiian style, "alonnah," because my 15 best bike buddies who ride in 3 groups, don't understand the idea of riding steady power when training for an IM...

maybe you'll have better luck finding a member of the spandex mafia on Grinder :o  ? Mrs D may be more foregiving to that!

I know that's a dose of tough love o:) , but isn't that what you're used to from your former training partner?   
  • Options
    It seems I had one of (if not the) last Coach Call with Rich last week.  I sensed something was up, but would not have guessed this.

Everything everyone else has said is spot on.  A large group of middle aged triathletes train smarter and race better than we ever would have had we not encountered Coach Rich and EN  His leadership and innovation (along with Coach P's) transformed our sport and our approach to it.

I have observed that leaders lead wherever they are.  And innovators innovate whatever they do.  So, I feel confident in saying that the people wherever and whatever you are headed off to next are in for some very positive disruption.

I will miss you but I wish you godspeed and a perpetual tail wind :smiley:
  • Options
    Wait!  Does this mean I have to sign of for Leadville to encounter your awesome no nonsense coaching?  OK! Gauntlet thrown!  And you were someone who actually understood what KB purple was!  and Vic and Natally!  what is the world coming to?  
    Crossing the bridge in Destrehan will never be the same :(

cheers to someone who lived rule #5 of cycling!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Coach Rich. Wish you all the best in your future endeavours. 
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2019 2:53AM

Wow. I know I’m very late to this info cause I’ve been offline for a few years. Rich you are likely not reading posts anymore but want you and others to know that your teachings and training philosophy is embedded in me from those early years (for me 2008 - 2011). I often quote many of your training

thoughts to the young lads today that ask me about Ironman. I hope to run into again and hear about your current life adventures.

• Options

@David Ambrose he still on social media. You can follow him on facebook.