Home General Training Discussions
Options

How to properly do Active Recovery?

I have a Half June 17th and an Olympic June 24th I have exactly a week to recover for the Olympic. What kind of plan would someone use to recover from the Half? I was thinking Sunday- Rest Monday- Easy Swim like 1,000yards Tuesday- Easy 30min spin on the trainer Wednesday- Easy 30min Spin maybe a zone1 20min jog Thursday- Rest Friday- 30min swim easy 30min bike easy 20min run easy Saturday race!!  Thoughts??? Air Relax and Compression tights of course.

Comments

• Options
    -lower your expectations for the oly.
    -sleep is very very important.  Add an hour to your normal 'good night's sleep' if possible.
    -hydrate like your life depended on it all week.
    -If I had it in my legs, I would be running starting Tues, following the taper week run workouts.  Definitely some uptempo stuff ,albeit short intervals. 
    -Wed would be a hour ride: 15 wu, 3 or 4 x (8@ 80-85%, 2 rec)
    -the compression and recovery tights will provide no benefit. Sorry.  
  • Options
    I think a lot will depend on how consistent your training has been and the level of effort you put out in the half relative to your fitness level going in.  A few years ago I did a half on sunday and then a 5k race the following saturday.  PR'd both. The week in between looked like this to give you an idea: 

Sunday raced half
    Monday off
    Tuesday short swim, easy 3o minute ride 
    Wednesday easy 20 minute run
    Thursday 1 hr swim 1.5 hr steady ride
    Friday  short swim, 20 minute easy run
    Saturday race
  • Options
    Just a few weeks ago, I did an Xterra on Saturday and an Olympic on Memorial Day Monday. The fatigue hadn't caught up with me from the first one until I was done with the second one. I actually had a decent run (for me) on the second one too, which was a pleasant surprise.

I'd say treating it like a taper week in between is the best way to go about it. That means mostly low-intensity w/ some high short efforts (ex, pickups/strides), in between, in all 3 disciplines.
    And, YES, stretching, easy movement, tons of hydration and better-than-usual nutrition, are all higher priority than even getting a regular s/b/r workout during that time.