F50-54, 5'10" 150-2 lbs

140.6 Best Time in Last Five Years
11:55:xx IMAZ 2013

70.3 Best Time in Last Five Years
5:29:30 Grand Rapids 70.3 2014

Oly Best Time in Last Five Years
2:33:xx Leons-Best of the US 2013

26.2 Best Time in Last Five Years
4:25:xx Bayshore Marathon 2012 (undertrained...boooo)

13.1 Best Time in Last Five Years
1:51:41 Rock CF 2013

Your Strongest Discipline *
Bike

Your Weakest Discipline *
Run

Your Weakest Discipline: Tell Us More... *
Running. Adult onset runner, started 9 years ago to do first sprint. Heavier by 10lbs over 3 years ago. Best year of running races and time in tris was my first year in EN (fire under my ass about poor race running!) 2013. I was all in that year. Have had some injuries, lack of mojo in years after. Ready to be more focused to improve and regain some of that CONFIDENCE I had in 13 from doing the work and getting results!

Your Injury / Difficulty History *
Right side (shoulder, glute, itb and now knee) is where I usually have issues. Nothing major, but always something. Knee is new and a bit concerning, and my biggest issue going into Placid and beyond. PT says its Osteochondral defect of the right knee, medial compartment. Now dealing with some itb and swelling behind the knee. Big bike week, inserts have helped. Was told it would take a long time to heal. If the trail running this weekend makes it worse again, will follow up with sports med doc. Current suggestion is run every other day vs back to back.

Mental discipline to not slow down. More I train consistently, more confidence I get. Aging, and slowing down in hard.

Top Three Lessons Learned in your triathlon career. *
I can do a lot more than I ever thought I could (i.e. finish an IM, ITU worlds 70.3 Worlds and IMAZ top ten)

For me personally, I can't half ass training and still get a good result. Consistency is critical for my success in reaching my goals.

I am NOT an redliner/superA type athlete. I approach it all through the friendships and experiences I've gotten through the sport. I am competitive, but not hyper driven by that. I am an emotional racer that is looking to sharpen my execution/fitness and not lose all my warm and fuzzy reasons for racing. I am competitive with myself, and a little with those I race. Not the other way around. I won't be petting any dogs on the run this year though. :D

Your Top Three Races / Events this Season (with dates):
IM Lake Placid July 23rd, 2017
Rock n Roll Marathon November 12, 2017
*possibly* SavageMan Half IM September 16

Comments

• Options
    edited June 30, 2017 11:08AM
    @Trish Marshall - Thanks again for the intro call, sorry the notes took so long. Nice work on that long run as well...really strong at the end with pace and HR! Woohoo!

Training Plan Edits
    • Running Every Other Day - I checked the plan as you laid it out, only one edit to make on July 18th; I moved the VO2 run to the sunday before (7/16) to get that done a bit earlier. 
    • Training Peaks Edits - I added Run Volume and Bike Volume charts to your Dashboard page. Interesting to note that your run is much better than last year, but yo ur bike, while more epic, has been less consistent. I am pumped to see that run delta -- it don't come easy -- as that bodes well for the toughest part of the race (see solid run chart ^above^ as further evidence of your run powers) but the bike status means we'll need to not overachieve. 
    • DECISION TIME - Based off of the bike edits, and a VERY SHORT TAPER in 2016 that I think wasn't good enough for you..I'd like to suggest an edit. You are set to ride 5 Sat, 3:30 Sun this weekend...can we do Sat 5, Sun 4, Monday 3? Basically move the Sunday ride from NEXT weekend up to this Monday (day off?) to maximize the bike impact and give you more chance for resting later. Think on it. 

Final Training + Race Execution

• At this point, it's all about the process. The right outcome (fast or slow etc) will come a result of the best possible plan executed on race day. The only way you can execute like that is if you are focused on PROCESS (INPUTS) vs RESULTS (OUTCOMES). Put the good stuff in and good stuff comes out, I swear!  I say this as your brain is your own worst enemy...stop measuring yourself against your past and instead marvel and engage in just how awesome you are today -- that's the only way you will get the upper hand!
    • Angry Walk the Hills - Hands high and pumping away to keep you going. We don't want "down" or "dispirited" runners...like frowning, I think walking "down" takes more work. Think Natascha Badmann!
    • Final rides outside of RR should be done at 20W below target race effort except for your last hour, which should be 10W to 20W ABOVE target race effort. Really challenge yourself here to be patient early (not slow, you can do less watts and still be fast) and then get "on it" at the end. 

Other

• Best Bike Split is pretty good in Lake Placid. The hills are "long" enough that the algorithm is fairly close. Don't sweat the whole ride, however, but look at segments. What does it say you should ride (1) ski jump to top of descent, (2) upper Jay to Wilmington aka miles 35 to 41 / 91 to 97, and (3) the steep part of the return for Hungry Trout Bridge to the Whiteface Notch Picnic area...the flats / downs will take care of themselves, but knowing the "up" numbers could help you.

Overall I am really pumped for you. I think you in great shape have the change to do something really special if we can get it right this year...let's nail these next few weeks!

~ Coach P

PS - I am sorry to hear about your daughter's car, but glad it did it's job and kept her safe!
This discussion has been closed.